Other OT-Related Information Working full time in OTD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTMax

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently a senior in undergrad wrapping up my last semester before OT school. While in undergrad I was able to work 2 jobs simultaneously before working full time as an RBT, and I am curious as to everyone’s thoughts about whether working full time while going for an OTD is sustainable. I have heard mixed things about working full time while in grad school from both OTs and BCBAs, leading me to make this post. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what kind of program you decide to go to. I’ve heard of people working full time in a hybrid OTD program for the first year and close to full time after that, up until fieldwork level 2. Everyone I’ve spoken to in traditional programs have only worked up to about 15 hours per week, since the classes are typically 8-6 Monday to Friday. Graduate school work is tougher than undergraduate level work, and being an OTD program might be even tougher. It all comes down to organization, time management, and self-care to prevent burnout!

In short term: No.
Long term: All depends on your time management skill, your commitment strength, and your health.

my school recommends you work no more than 8 hours per week IF you choose to work at all. Those with research scholarships work on campus and I know many have been frustrated due to that time commitment. my first semester we took 6 classes and I would have been drowning had I had any job