Working in a dental school dispensary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ppredentalstudent

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

The dental school in my city put up a job posting for a dispensary assistant- seems like anyone can apply! I would be sterilizing tools/setting up trays and running checkout/deliveries to students and faculty. Do you think this would be a good job to have? Or would it not be so meaningful and show an interest in dentistry like a dental assistant/lab tech? I also am applying to this school, so it might be a good opportunity to meet faculty!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door. How long would you be working the position? If you're hoping to apply this cycle, that might be an issue since employers typically don't want to hire someone they know will be leaving soon.

But if you're planning on applying next year, then I'd 100% go for it. Just make sure to do a great job if you get in ;) They sure won't accept you into their program if they know you as the "lazy dispensary assistant".

I think that sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door. How long would you be working the position? If you're hoping to apply this cycle, that might be an issue since employers typically don't want to hire someone they know will be leaving soon.

But if you're planning on applying next year, then I'd 100% go for it. Just make sure to do a great job if you get in ;) They sure won't accept you into their program if they know you as the "lazy dispensary assistant".
I actually applied in May! So maybe I should look for work elsewhere. The most I would be able to work is around a year (if I get accepted this year!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually applied in May! So maybe I should look for work elsewhere. The most I would be able to work is around a year (if I get accepted this year!)
You could apply and just be honest with your intentions. My last job as an assistant hired me till I started school

One of my class mates worked at the school for a few years before he got accepted. He was able to speak often with the Dean and get advise as what he needed to do to be a better candidate.

The school must be in a desperate mode if they are willing to hire a Predent.

Do it, meet faculty, would be a good opportunity.