Working in a non-clinical volunteering environment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fun1nth3sun1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding non-clinical volunteering. I know how important it is to have non-clinical volunteering and clinical volunteering when applying to medical school.

I know that working in a clinical environment would count as clinical hours considering you are working with patients but would working in a non- clinical environment also have the same effect? During my undergrad years I used to work as a Youth activities assistant at Boys and Girls Club for over 9 months and that is why I ask.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong in my opinion on this, and I hope someone corrects me if I am, but I would say that your paid non-clinical work would not take the place of non-clinical volunteering.

The idea behind non-clinical volunteering is that you are willing to work with those less fortunate than you for nothing in return, while the idea of clinical work, whether paid or not, is that you have an idea of how a hospital runs. Paid clinical work will usually allow you to do more things and get an even better idea than clinical volunteering. You don't need to get paid to have a good understanding of how important it is to help those less fortunate than us.

It's not difficult to get involved with non-clinical volunteering because organizations are always looking for volunteers. Just get involved with something you really enjoy and run with it.

You working defeats the whole purpose of "volunteering" which is supposed to show your altruistic characteristics and desire to help others with NO compensation for your help. If you worked at the boys and girls club (which has many volunteer opportunities) and you received compensation then it will definitely not count as volunteering, but work experience.