working in europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

statdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Need some advice here and was hoping for some input. I'm a board certified ER doc (D.O.) here in the US but am very intersested in working over in europe, in specific spain. What is the process I need to go to to do this? Is this even possible? I have not heard of to many american docs doing this. Are there any websites anyone could refer me to? Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Need some advice here and was hoping for some input. I'm a board certified ER doc (D.O.) here in the US but am very intersested in working over in europe, in specific spain. What is the process I need to go to to do this? Is this even possible? I have not heard of to many american docs doing this. Are there any websites anyone could refer me to? Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Are you interested in a specific place in Spain, or just anywhere in Spain?

The reason I ask, is that if it is just a desire to be anywhere in Spain, one route you might explore as a U.S. licensed doc would be to contact the medical department of the U.S. Naval presence in Rota Spain.

I worked for a while as a civilian family medicine doc in an Army clinic in Germany. It was a great experience.

Let me know if you need further details of how I went about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sam,
It would be great if you could send me info. on how to do this. Thanks for the assistance. :)

Hey all,

Absent some specific agreements or special organizations/programs (i.e. such as within the US military or MSF) it is extremely unlikely that your US residency training would enable you to directly work as an attending in Europe (and many other countries for that matter), this applies in particular to EM because it is generally not yet a specialty in itself in many European countries, rather the role of EM physicians is in Europe still mostly being fulfilled by Anesthesiologists and so called "Emergency/Critical Care Surgeons" (which often IS a separate specialty).
Also, generally the process of working in Europe as a doctor, involves getting board certified in Europe, as well. Ultimately, giving you the status of a fresh med school graduate, even though you completed already a full residency abroad.
Thus, depending on your mid- and long-term plans, you may find that the most feasible and time-efficient way to work abroad while still being able to reuse much of your already existing qualifications, might be working for a humanitarian organization.

HTH

Hi everyone,
I also am interested in working in the EU....most likely UK, Italy or France. I"m a prospective med student, so I'd most likely go to school in the US and then was thinking to get a residency in the UK or elsewhere. So my questions:

1. Is there an American website or agency that handles this situation where I could go to get more/specific information?

2. Would it be easier to do the residency in the US and then try to find work in the EU, or better just to do a residency over there?

3. Is the ability to work/be a resident standardized for the whole EU or does it vary by country?

4. Last I heard, DO and PAs weren't legally recognized in Europe, is that still the case? or is there (again) an American agency that handles these situations.

5. In general, is the lifestyle better for docs in Europe? By lifestyle I don't mean money at all, but really I'm looking to work in a place with nationalized healthcare and to work healthy hours (say 50-60/week vs. 80).....does the lifestyle of a doc in, say the UK, differ in this regard from the lifestyle of one in the US (sorry dont know my specialty yet, probably GP but also interested in Pathology)............

Anyone with answers out there??? Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Hey all,

DO's have no private practice rights in Spain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine

Hi everyone,
I also am interested in working in the EU....most likely UK, Italy or France. I"m a prospective med student, so I'd most likely go to school in the US and then was thinking to get a residency in the UK or elsewhere. So my questions:

1. Is there an American website or agency that handles this situation where I could go to get more/specific information?

2. Would it be easier to do the residency in the US and then try to find work in the EU, or better just to do a residency over there?

3. Is the ability to work/be a resident standardized for the whole EU or does it vary by country?

4. Last I heard, DO and PAs weren't legally recognized in Europe, is that still the case? or is there (again) an American agency that handles these situations.

5. In general, is the lifestyle better for docs in Europe? By lifestyle I don't mean money at all, but really I'm looking to work in a place with nationalized healthcare and to work healthy hours (say 50-60/week vs. 80).....does the lifestyle of a doc in, say the UK, differ in this regard from the lifestyle of one in the US (sorry dont know my specialty yet, probably GP but also interested in Pathology)............

Anyone with answers out there??? Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

I think you are going to have a hard time finding work in the EU with U.S. credentialling.

I keep hearing rumors about Ireland relaxing their laws to recognize U.S. trained physicians, but I've seen nothing concrete in this regard.

As far as money and hours, I believe GP's do very well in UK, but I'm not so sure about elsewhere in EU.

In U.S., Family Medicine docs (same as GP over in EU, though GP means something else altogether in the U.S.) can do pretty well and no, you will not necessarily be working 80 hour weeks.

Outside of practice, the lifestyle in Europe can be quite nice. I greatly enjoyed my time living in Germany.

If you are looking to work specifically within a nationalized healthcare system (and God only knows why you'd want to), I suggest you just sit tight.

It appears that such a system will be coming to a neighborhood near you soon.

Whoo hoo!!! I can hardly wait! :eek: