working in pharm. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mine44u

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know that there have probably been a gazillion posts on this subject, but I hear conflicting views all the time, and I really just want to hear from the horse's mouth. Is it possible for a pharmd student to work full time in a retail pharmacy? Has anyone done it? Is it feasible? Especially for students at Mercer of Uni. of OK because I am going to one or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

It is verrrrry doubtful you would be able to pull off full-time employment while in pharmacy school, nor do I know why you would even want to... that's what loans are for. It's already going to be a tough 4 years, you don't want to stack the deck against yourself.

Now, I'm sure there will be people who will tell you that they have done it and it was easy. Those people are crazy. There are people in my class who believe they are gods of pharmacy and they need to do everything and be involved in everything and know everything... please...

Don't over extend yourself, it's not worth it. I work 8 hours a week and that is plenty. The people who I'm close with in my class all work less than 20 hrs/wk.

I worked 28-36 hrs a week while in pharmacy school but as a paramedic meaning there was a lot of downtime and nighttime/weekend scheduling. there are 48hrs on the weekend use them wisely if you have to work. to answer the question yes it can be done but it will be painful and you will have to be disciplined. If you are strong enough to do this then paying off a lone upon graduation will not be a problem for you either

Members don't see this ad :)
I work about 14 hours a week in retail, and I wouldn't want to work anymore. I probably could handle it ok, but the stress wouldn't be worth it

Full time is doable. I have been full time for the past 2 years (P1 and P2). I work 4 days a week, two 6 hour shifts during the week, 8-8 on sat, and 8-6 on sun. Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Not if you dont have to. The paid vacations, holiday pay, and tuition reimbursement ($1000/year) is nice but im thinking about cutting my hours back.. dont want to burn out before i have to.

If you're in the accelerated program, can you afford to work at all or would it be too stressful? Anyone with experience in this area?? Please share!

Okay, I know that there have probably been a gazillion posts on this subject, but I hear conflicting views all the time, and I really just want to hear from the horse's mouth. Is it possible for a pharmd student to work full time in a retail pharmacy? Has anyone done it? Is it feasible? Especially for students at Mercer of Uni. of OK because I am going to one or the other?

Hi - I'm a Mercer P1, and I would say not unless you absolutely have to. Mercer schedules most exams on Monday morning, which means that you really need at least some of the time on the weekend free to study (at least, I do). Also, you will have some other things that don't show up on your official class schedule that will require some time during the afternoons you don't have class, like service learning and early practice experiences.

If you're in the accelerated program, can you afford to work at all or would it be too stressful? Anyone with experience in this area?? Please share!

You do have to work some hours because you have to get a certain number of intern hours to graduate. And in an accelerated program you do not have summers to get these hours. So my advice is find an internship as soon as you get your licence. I'm right know working about 8 hours a week. It seems to be ok.