working in the context of a broken world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Anyone else just completely unmotivated to work today? Every piece of bad news slowly chips away at me, and yesterday was quite possibly the crack that breaks me. It shouldn't take proximity to strike this nerve, but found out colleague's student's child was one of the victims. It's too much today.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
It is hard when I see and hear so much pain and suffering and it angers me when every evil person is labeled as a ”mental health issue”. Culture is the soil that grows the individual and right now I would say that we have cultural problems way more than mental health problems. Even the level of pathology that I see with adolescents is escalating over the last 10 to 15 years. In other worse the kids are getting worse and I think most of what we do as a society to try and fix it is actually feeding the problem. I can only help one kid and family at a time and a lot of what I work on is trying to help families create structure and boundaries and connections with each other out of a chaotic environment that sees structure and boundaries and families as the problem.

Reactions: 4 users
It is hard when I see and hear so much pain and suffering and it angers me when every evil person is labeled as a ”mental health issue”. Culture is the soil that grows the individual and right now I would say that we have cultural problems way more than mental health problems. Even the level of pathology that I see with adolescents is escalating over the last 10 to 15 years. In other worse the kids are getting worse and I think most of what we do as a society to try and fix it is actually feeding the problem. I can only help one kid and family at a time and a lot of what I work on is trying to help families create structure and boundaries and connections with each other out of a chaotic environment that sees structure and boundaries and families as the problem.
Yes, the conflation of mental illness with violence, evilness, bigotry, etc., is really bothersome to me as someone who does a lot of work on the intersection between disability/marginalization and violence. We know that people with mental illness are far more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators of it, and that any link between mental illness and violence commission essentially disappears once we control for substance abuse. But none of the conservatives saying we need "mental health, not gun control" actually want to fund things that improve mental health--like healthcare, affordable housing, social safety nets, etc.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's been really hard for me to separate politics from my job, especially when I work with patients who hold opposite political views that, honestly, I am finding increasingly abhorrent.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else just completely unmotivated to work today? Every piece of bad news slowly chips away at me, and yesterday was quite possibly the crack that breaks me. It shouldn't take proximity to strike this nerve, but found out colleague's student's child was one of the victims. It's too much today.
I don’t know, I’m f—— tired and I honestly feel like screaming into the void and I envy people who can go on like nothing happened (I really do). Not even saying this with any malice towards people who can compartmentalize.
Simple things like ads for makeup or whatever bewilder me. I’m like “the economy is crashing, and you want me to buy nonessentials instead of stocking up on food and fuel??”

I thought I was the odd one for feeling so upset and tired, even though there’s no way I’m affected by this as much as people who are actually going through this. Strangely, I wasn’t feeling this much during COVID lol maybe because it was a nondiscriminate disease but these latest events (global and local) were all a CHOICE of some human being.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, it's been really hard for me to separate politics from my job, especially when I work with patients who hold opposite political views that, honestly, I am finding increasingly abhorrent.
The dynamic of people moving toward more extreme political beliefs is a real probem in my mind. As someone who has always tried to see both sides or perspectives I often feel like I am pulled more and more to the "you're either for us or against us" and that pressure comes from multiple directions.

Don't you just love the hypocrisy of a right wing Trump supporting Republican who is on 100% S.C. disability for PTSD. Lose those bootstraps somewhere along the way did ya?

Reactions: 7 users
The dynamic of people moving toward more extreme political beliefs is a real probem in my mind. As someone who has always tried to see both sides or perspectives I often feel like I am pulled more and more to the "you're either for us or against us" and that pressure comes from multiple directions.
So true! And you get accused of straddling the fence. But frankly the extremism of both sides is frightening.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t know, I’m f—— tired and I honestly feel like screaming into the void and I envy people who can go on like nothing happened (I really do). Not even saying this with any malice towards people who can compartmentalize.
Simple things like ads for makeup or whatever bewilder me. I’m like “the economy is crashing, and you want me to buy nonessentials instead of stocking up on food and fuel??”

I thought I was the odd one for feeling so upset and tired, even though there’s no way I’m affected by this as much as people who are actually going through this. Strangely, I wasn’t feeling this much during COVID lol maybe because it was a nondiscriminate disease but these latest events (global and local) were all a CHOICE of some human being.

Honestly, the world is as it always was, we just did not have the ugliness shoved in our faces quite so often in many ways. There is plenty that we cannot control as individuals all we can do is hold an even keel and remember to prioritize what was always important. Be thankful for your health, cherish the ones you love (and pay attention to them), simplify your life and strive to not be a slave to commerce, be kind and have empathy for others. The rest will work itself out eventually.

• Care
Anyone else just completely unmotivated to work today? Every piece of bad news slowly chips away at me, and yesterday was quite possibly the crack that breaks me.
Welcome to my week. Unfortunately, between the virus and ongoing challenges in the USA, we continue to be traumatized w/o any significant recourse. People don't realize that (psychological) fallout from the virus will take years to address. Add in gun violence, systemic racism, aggressive partisanship, domestic terrorists, and toxic legislators...we are in for some stuff.

I had a handful of hardcore "alternative fact" believing patients at the height of the virus....and most of them died because of their beliefs. It's sad, but that was their choice. As a healthcare provider, it's been a grind. I had already left my hospital-based work, but more recently I left my out-pt work because it was just too much.....everything. Healthcare was already in trouble prior to COVID (in regard to providers leaving their careers), but now it is literally in crisis mode.....it will just take a bit before the worst cracks are seen.

So true! And you get accused of straddling the fence. But frankly the extremism of both sides is frightening.
No. Just...no. Only ONE side violently attacked the Capitol, promote violence and lies to stoke their base, and have lied/cheated/stolen while claiming to be "patriots". This is not a "both sides" thing....NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. One side is a cult and the rest of us are just trying to freaking survive.

As for the Fringe Left....sure, they exist, but not in the numbers nor the impact of the far-right domestic terrorists...not my words, that's what the FBI classified them as....20 years ago.

Reactions: 11 users
Each side of the political spectrum uses the extremes from the other side to make their points. None of the clients I have worked with who are more conservative or more liberal are militia joining white supremacists or rioting antifa members, but that is who they get lumped in with. It is scary when the average republican or average democrat is seen as the enemy by conflating the average with the extreme and thats where we are heading.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Each side of the political spectrum uses the extremes from the other side to make their points. None of the clients I have worked with who are more conservative or more liberal are militia joining white supremacists or rioting antifa members, but that is who they get lumped in with. It is scary when the average republican or average democrat is seen as the enemy by conflating the average with the extreme and thats where we are heading.
Isn't the Republican "average" now just far-right white nationalism? That's what the vast majority of Republican candidates are openly running on nowadays, as Trump seems to have swung the Republican party even more right than they were (and in many peer countries, U.S. Democrats would be considered center right). In contrast, the most "far left" elected official we have just argues for universal healthcare, which literally 32/33 of the "most developed" countries have.

Its why we have a two party system (I dont count the other BS parties that never actually have a chance at winning). Creating two sides, gives a good vs evil dynamic. Sure makes it easy for a person to feel like their side is the good side and the opposite side are evil people who need to be reeducated or something worse. Simple stratedgy, keep the commoners fighting among themselves, then they don't focus on the things crumbling around them. Inflation, house prices, finishing a pandemic. supply chain shortages, student loan crisis, wars, etc.

Honestly, I think both the republican party and democrat party need a significant overhaul. I actually think a lot of answers to the problems in this country are simple, but when you have a fair amount of inept people or people who operating in their own best interests, in government, makes it hard to have significant progress.

The politicians who claim they're about helping others and all that, I would love that there's a forced requirement they volunteer in community psychiatry facilities, like where I work. Would be great, since most of them have no idea on mental health, as the state of mental health in general appears to be worsening, and were going to lose a significant number of psychiatrists to retirement soon.

Don't you just love the hypocrisy of a right wing Trump supporting Republican who is on 100% S.C. disability for PTSD. Lose those bootstraps somewhere along the way did ya?

It just kills me how many social services and resources are available to veterans that aren't available to the rest of the population. Don't get me wrong, they did a great service and deserve compensation, but I don't get why any certain group is more deserving of housing, financial assistance, etc, than another.

Lately we've had spouses of patients request mental health services and we're like, uhhh, I don't really know what to tell you (even the Vet Center has limitations there)...

It just kills me how many social services and resources are available to veterans that aren't available to the rest of the population. Don't get me wrong, they did a great service and deserve compensation, but I don't get why any certain group is more deserving of housing, financial assistance, etc, than another.

Lately we've had spouses of patients request mental health services and we're like, uhhh, I don't really know what to tell you (even the Vet Center has limitations there)...
I totally get where you're coming from and see your general point. I think i might counter with people in the military being exposed to extreme circumstances more often than not, creating an inevitably of mental health decline. The government knows they're going to cause some people to have some significant mental health issues, so its their way of trying to compensate. Putting someone in an enviroment for TBIs, PTSD, exposure to harmful substances, etc and not being there to pick up the pieces, I feel could have a domino effect.

Better marketing...

All VA employees know the irony where the guy with bronze stars and purple hearts who won't ask for anything, but the guy who did two years in peace time has all the services/benfits because he tripped and fell on a military base once.

I totally get where you're coming from and see your general point. I think i might counter with people in the military being exposed to extreme circumstances more often than not, creating an inevitably of mental health decline. The government knows they're going to cause some people to have some significant mental health issues, so its their way of trying to compensate. Putting someone in an enviroment for TBIs, PTSD, exposure to harmful substances, etc and not being there to pick up the pieces, I feel could have a domino effect.

Having worked in both VA and non-VA systems, the discrepancy that @cara susanna is talking about is extreme. Also, some of the services offered (much of the TBI stuff) is actually likely iatrogenic. Furthermore, the leeway shown to the Vet population is also unprecedented and likely not helpful. Patients in that system say and do reprehensible things to VA employees and still have access to the care. Wherein other sectors, many of those people would be permabanned from outpatient services.

Better marketing...

All VA employs know the irony where the guy with bronze stars and purple hearts who won't ask for anything, but the guy who did two years in peace time has all the services/benfits because he tripped and fell on a military base once.

See the recent article where some dude was 100%SC, partially for back pain, saying that he struggled to even lift 10 lbs without dropping things, but he was actually a semi-professional bodybuilder or some ****? They caught this dude, but for every one they catch, we all knew about 20 more gaming the system with no real injury.

Reactions: 1 users

Not saying veterans shouldn't have those things, just that the rest of the population should also have them. In fact, maybe if we had more of those things people wouldn't be forced to join the military, like to escape poverty or broken homes or to get an education, and risk exposure to these things--of course, assuming that's a bug and not a feature.

Having worked in both VA and non-VA systems, the discrepancy that @cara susanna is talking about is extreme. Also, some of the services offered (much of the TBI stuff) is actually likely iatrogenic. Furthermore, the leeway shown to the Vet population is also unprecedented and likely not helpful. Patients in that system say and do reprehensible things to VA employees and still have access to the care. Wherein other sectors, many of those people would be permabanned from outpatient services.

Oh I agree with you, there are many "gem" VA patients. After working in the VA system frequently during residency, its why I definitely did not even consider doing VA work when I finished.

Its really the same thing as community health for civilians. You could come to my facility, no insurance, high on meth and cocaine, assault multiple people and then youll get every service in the world even if you have no desire to get help with substance abuse. Heck they will even help you get disability for it, perhaps even housing assistance. Then the same patient will see me, demand stimulants/sleep medications, and threaten me when i dont provide it to them. And they can just keep coming back, no interventions. Now, someone with a high enough income, middle class patient for example, they will be excluded from my facility. But with the cost/coverage of insurance, not always easy finding a private psychiatrist, especially in my area. And in todays economy, I would wager the average middle class citizen is struggling to get ahead.

I think it comes down to multiple issues, in that like you said, people can get away with doing really ****ty things with absolutely no consequence, people can often play the VA card or MH card but there is a general lack of accountability.

Also, while I'm complaining about things, I just find it BAFFLING how no one talks about gun control in relation to suicide, not just homicide. Especially with how many people supposedly care about the veteran suicide rate.

Given the level of gun violence in this country, I think it’s hard to argue that exposure to that is limited to people who served in the military.

Reactions: 1 user
Not saying veterans shouldn't have those things, just that the rest of the population should also have them. In fact, maybe if we had more of those things people wouldn't be forced to join the military, like to escape poverty or broken homes or to get an education, and risk exposure to these things--of course, assuming that's a bug and not a feature.

The cynic in me would say it is a feature. Most of the younger vets I know were a mess before joining the military. Not sure there would be enough recruits with out this. I only know one normal guy who enlisted and was not a commissioned officer and he got guilted into it by a sick family member who was a veteran.

oh trust me I agree, but how often does MH actually get brought up and taken seriously during election time? I think that goes back to funding, and lack of appropriate focus on the MH system and healthcare system in general.

I actually agree with you that as a whole there should be a better equality of services, my point was the VA system was just simply a way for the government to feel good about themselves after knowingly messing up the lives of many people.

I still dont understand how people so easily obtain assault rifles and how anyone could think its appropriate for people to nonchalantly buy them. Theres no logical reason for having one.

Wait until they figure out that gun control laws were started because a Marine veteran murdered a US president.

Yup, mental health only ever gets brought up as a distractor from the real issue. Like, we don't need gun control, we need better access to mental healthcare! Nevermind that mental illness is not actually associated with higher rates of violence perpetration. Nevermind that means access is actually a very important part of violence prevention even in mental health. Nevermind that we suck at predicting violence and at some point would need to resort to laws and external restrictions just like everyone else.

Reactions: 5 users
Yup, mental health only ever gets brought up as a distractor from the real issue. Like, we don't need gun control, we need better access to mental healthcare! Nevermind that mental illness is not actually associated with higher rates of violence perpetration. Nevermind that means access is actually a very important part of violence prevention even in mental health. Nevermind that we suck at predicting violence and at some point would need to resort to laws and external restrictions just like everyone else.

The irony is they say that and then rarely even propose a bill that would increase access to mental healthcare. We don't need gun control, we need better mental health access. Okay, how are you improving mental health access? :crickets:

The cynic in me would say it is a feature. Most of the younger vets I know were a mess before joining the military. Not sure there would be enough recruits with out this. I only know one normal guy who enlisted and was not a commissioned officer and he got guilted into it by a sick family member who was a veteran.
There have been a lot of questions about recruiting tactics and targets for military service. Unfortunately, a lot of red flags seem to get thru, but then they get med-boarded out for pre-existing psych...it's super sketchy.

There have been a lot of questions about recruiting tactics and targets for military service. Unfortunately, a lot of red flags seem to get thru, but then they get med-boarded out for pre-existing psych...it's super sketchy.
Yup, I didn't want to get into that but totally true. Some fudging of the academic/ intellectual requirements as well.

Months ago, I reached out to my governor about better reimbursement rates. I got a canned response about saving for our childrens' future. That response in light of everything, on top of the platitudes about mental health, just adds to my desire to check out for a while.

I haven't seen any evidence particularly over the last 2+ years that a typical US politician gives two ****s about "children's future," particularly their mental health

I haven't seen any evidence particularly over the last 2+ years that a typical US politician gives two ****s about "children's future," particularly their mental health

True. When it comes to politics, I often feel it is a false dichotomy. It really should be the baby boomers vs all future generations rather than just democrat vs republican. Honestly, they are happy to take care of themselves while sacrificing all of us younger folks. Notice how all the changes that need to be made get pushed onto the younger generations/ smaller voting blocks? This article is a great illustration of the problem:

The Boomers Ruined Everything

.. and gun control laws were further enacted when the Black Panthers decided to arm themselves and continue to protest....as our Constitution allows.

The NRA has been very upfront about thinking that the "Right to Bear Arms" should preferably only apply to White people and most definitely not apply to Black people.

Yup, I didn't want to get into that but totally true. Some fudging of the academic/ intellectual requirements as well.
The targeting of lower socioeconomic folks with lower and borderline IQs is uhm....not okay. I've known some recruiters over the years and some/most had a lot of pressure to "get their numbers", and I've heard it's only gotten worse over the past 10 years or so. Look at the pre-existing psych issue that popped up a few/number of years back. Say whatever to get them signed, and then if they wash out...whatever.

Since I left the VA system (and even before) I started to believe that a healthcare system that is based solely on ones former occupation is unnecessary, unjustified, and...unjust to the rest of society. I have since been of the opinion that a nationwide VHA Healthcare System should NOT exist at all. I have disclosed this opinion before, but not FULLY discussed it here. SDN is NOT really the most friendly place to discus such an unpopular point of view.

Last edited:
First of all the world is not broken, even if it feels that way. So many things are going right - you just have look for it.

I get really sick of news outlets and the public in general wasting no time to victim blame whenever such a tragedy occurs. They imply that bullying and mental illness are the cause school shooting and mass acts of violence.

Ever noticed how kids with disabilities, overweight kids, queer kids, and kids of color, are not typically the ones that typically commit these acts? These are the kids who typically have it the hardest growing up.

At frist glance, many of these little turds are weird, unpleasant, turds that no one wants to be around - but that's not bullying - that's a natural consequence of being an unpleasant freak. But, their sense of self worth is so artifically protected by those adults around them that they never have to learn how to adjust their behavior and develop their self-concept or personality. Every interaction is helicoptered and they are so protected "from the mean world" that their growth is stunted.

This is solely about entitlement. This is about spoiled brats throwing the ultimate tantrum (that the media is all to happy to reinforce with tons of attention).

A common thread, as best as I can tell, is that these are brats who have never been held accountable for their actions and have been coddled severely by their school, parents, peers, and law enforcement. They're so "special," though.

There are so many instances where parental over accommodation enabled these little resentful brats to have access to weapons or the monetary ability to purchase them.

Lets be very clear: These are spoiled brats tantruming because they did not get what they want. They are unaccomplished little babies who have been coddled at every moment of their fragile existence. They know they are looser, but their self-esteem has been artificially inflated to the point that they view themselves as too special to kill only themselves. These little brats have been accommodated endlessly by their parents and support system and wind up loosers who hate themselves and are resentful of others for existing. They have never had a rock bottom, and seek to make meaning by ending others over improving themselves.

Take the latest little brat - he dropped out and saved up money for a 3000 dollar gun by working at Wendy's. Here's an idea: if you don't finish school - you need to find your own shelter and feed yourself. Don't get me started about the Sandy Hook weirdo who's mama and dada accommodated his behavior for years.

A good first step is to let kids struggle and experience uncomfortable emotions and situations. They'll wind up better if we get out of their way.

Since I left the VA system (and even before) I started to believe that a healthcare system that is based solely on ones former occupation is unnecessary, unjustified, and...unjust to the rest of society. I have since been of the opinion that a nationwide VHA Healthcare System should NOT exist at all. I have disclosed this opinion before, but not FULLY discussed it here. SDN is NOT really the most friendly place to discus such an unpopular point of view.
I wouldn't worry....I'm sure people on here dislike you for plenty of other reasons too! :laugh:

• Haha
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's kind of checked out of politics. I'm usually SUPER politically aware, but I've noticed my mental health is so much better if I'm just more disengaged from it. Once in a while I will try to catch up on some journalists' tweets, and then I just get so frustrated and sad that I switch to something else.

Saw this and thought of you all

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653657217446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653657217446.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 6 users
First of all the world is not broken, even if it feels that way. So many things are going right - you just have look for it.

I get really sick of news outlets and the public in general wasting no time to victim blame whenever such a tragedy occurs. They imply that bullying and mental illness are the cause school shooting and mass acts of violence.

Ever noticed how kids with disabilities, overweight kids, queer kids, and kids of color, are not typically the ones that typically commit these acts? These are the kids who typically have it the hardest growing up.

At frist glance, many of these little turds are weird, unpleasant, turds that no one wants to be around - but that's not bullying - that's a natural consequence of being an unpleasant freak. But, their sense of self worth is so artifically protected by those adults around them that they never have to learn how to adjust their behavior and develop their self-concept or personality. Every interaction is helicoptered and they are so protected "from the mean world" that their growth is stunted.

This is solely about entitlement. This is about spoiled brats throwing the ultimate tantrum (that the media is all to happy to reinforce with tons of attention).

A common thread, as best as I can tell, is that these are brats who have never been held accountable for their actions and have been coddled severely by their school, parents, peers, and law enforcement. They're so "special," though.

There are so many instances where parental over accommodation enabled these little resentful brats to have access to weapons or the monetary ability to purchase them.

Lets be very clear: These are spoiled brats tantruming because they did not get what they want. They are unaccomplished little babies who have been coddled at every moment of their fragile existence. They know they are looser, but their self-esteem has been artificially inflated to the point that they view themselves as too special to kill only themselves. These little brats have been accommodated endlessly by their parents and support system and wind up loosers who hate themselves and are resentful of others for existing. They have never had a rock bottom, and seek to make meaning by ending others over improving themselves.

Take the latest little brat - he dropped out and saved up money for a 3000 dollar gun by working at Wendy's. Here's an idea: if you don't finish school - you need to find your own shelter and feed yourself. Don't get me started about the Sandy Hook weirdo who's mama and dada accommodated his behavior for years.

A good first step is to let kids struggle and experience uncomfortable emotions and situations. They'll wind up better if we get out of their way.
Some points I agree with here, but kind of smacks of the affluenza diagnosis from a case a few years back. It doesn’t really add up statistically. This kid was non-white Hispanic kid from low economic class from what I saw. Broken homes, lots of time on electronics, behavioral problems being dealt with as a mental health problem, and easy access to firearms for people we don’t trust to drink responsibly. The argument about old enough to be in the military and have a gun is irrelevant as those young men are trained and in a structured organization. Speaking of structure, it is pretty important in development and in the absence of it, young men will create that structure for themselves aka gangs. Maybe some of the lone white shooter thing has more to due with they don’t have ready access to a gang to express their maladaptive rage.

No worries though, if we as a society keep heading in this direction, the disaffected white kids will join ranks to express their rage violently aka clockwork orange.

Some points I agree with here, but kind of smacks of the affluenza diagnosis from a case a few years back. It doesn’t really add up statistically. This kid was non-white Hispanic kid from low economic class from what I saw. Broken homes, lots of time on electronics, behavioral problems being dealt with as a mental health problem, and easy access to firearms for people we don’t trust to drink responsibly. The argument about old enough to be in the military and have a gun is irrelevant as those young men are trained and in a structured organization. Speaking of structure, it is pretty important in development and in the absence of it, young men will create that structure for themselves aka gangs. Maybe some of the lone white shooter thing has more to due with they don’t have ready access to a gang to express their maladaptive rage.
The kid would drive around shooting ppl with BB guns. He was never held accountable. Now we’re going to have MUCH more of these unwanted little ****s when Roe is gone.

Did anyone else see the Matthew McConaughey white house conference? The green converse he brought made the story seem more real, tangible. To imagine a child's shoes being the only way to identify them haunts me.

It got me thinking about how abstract these events are to most people. Like it or not, we're mostly a visual species and a picture is worth more than a thousand words. Take 9/11 for example, images of thousands dying, leaping to their deaths, planes hit buildings and we united. We acted - for better or for worse. We were attacked. But we acted because we saw the suffering. It activated us because it was real.

Can anyone else think of any other examples when graphic imagery galvanized us.

I keep going back to Emit Till - whose mother insisted, bravely, on an open casket - despite the decomposition he was in. I also think about the napalm girl in Viet Nam, in which the horrors of war were the first to be broadcasted daily.

I have a six month baby and three year old. But, I am wondering if doing the unthinkable would finally get people out of their ideological bubble and commit to action. Would showing images of dead children brutalized by a maniac galvanize the country? It's pretty to hard to argue that dead children are the price of freedom when you're looking at graphic images of children. Perhaps we need to what anti-abortion activists do on my old campus. Or would this densistize us the carnage further.

Honestly, I feel terrible having these thoughts.

The kid would drive around shooting ppl with BB guns. He was never held accountable. Now we’re going to have MUCH more of these unwanted little ****s when Roe is gone.

The cynic in me will tell you that the U.S. economy needs cheap labor to exploit in order to keep functioning smoothly. They have to come from somewhere and the working population is dwindling since the boomers are edging toward retirement/death. If the lack of lawn services in my area this year are any indication, immigrants alone will not supply this. Shootings may just be the cost of doing business in some people's eyes.