Working in two labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be accepted into a research lab last semester and have had a really good experience so far. I was invited back for another semester, which I'm thrilled about!:D However, I've also considered contacting other professors to see if I can get involved in one of their labs at the same time. Is this generally kosher? Also, is there any particular advantage/disadvantage in terms of grad. school apps in terms of looking in one professor's lab over multiple years vs. working in a variety of labs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was lucky enough to be accepted into a research lab last semester and have had a really good experience so far. I was invited back for another semester, which I'm thrilled about!:D However, I've also considered contacting other professors to see if I can get involved in one of their labs at the same time. Is this generally kosher? Also, is there any particular advantage/disadvantage in terms of grad. school apps in terms of looking in one professor's lab over multiple years vs. working in a variety of labs?

Thanks!

In my opinion, if you can swing both of them, do it. During undergrad, I worked for 2 labs on a total of 4 projects. I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to go clinical or counseling, so I joined a team under each. If you plan on applying to PhD programs, the more research, the better.

Specifically, the program director of my MA program told me that they were rather impressed by the amount of research as well as the diversity of the projects I worked on as an undergrad. It can't hurt to have more. However, if you can't swing both of them for one reason or another, just take one. It would really hurt you in the long run if you dropped the ball on both teams.

Also, 2 teams = 2 letters of recommendation. You'll need 3 when you apply to graduate school, so that will be one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
I worked in 2 different labs at the same time as an undergrad: 1 experimental and 1 clinical. I didn't have a problem balancing my time between both and it helped me to discover that experimental wasn't for me. Just make sure you aren't over extending yourself and the time commitment is manageable. It is much worse to be unable to fulfill your obligation to both labs than to stick with one.

If you can manage both from a time perspective, I say go for it. I worked in ~8 or 9 labs before applying and typically was in 2-3 at any given time. For the record, I think that was too many since it wasn't til my last lab that I really found my "niche" and have been involved all the way through presentation/publication, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with being in multiple labs, especially if the experiences combine well or you have multiple interests.