Other OT-Related Information Working & OT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krazi4Sugar

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize many people say that working while in OT is tough, borderline impossible. However, as a non-early 20s student who would be going back a bit older and will have just gotten married at that point, I don't think being out of work for 2.5 years is an option. I already have a fairly flexible online job which could likely carry me as long as I don't do any extraneous spending and work a decent amount of hours.

My question is aimed toward anyone who DOES/DID work while in OT school. How did it work out for you? Were you able to meet basic needs and get a decent enough hours in? I realize it is going to be a challenge and that is fine. Tell me any advice you can think of or what you did to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any hybrid programs near where you live, that combine in-person and distance education? I was in the same boat; going back in my 30s (though I didn't even have a husband/significant other to help with costs), and needed to work. The hybrid program allowed me to work enough to cover s lot of needs, however, I also live in a major metro area, and so had some family assistance with rent (but covered basically all other expenses on my own. I also worked way more than the schools typically "recommend", but I am also a very good student by nature, and self-motivated, so I was never at risk of academic probation, or anything. I'm not going to lie; it was a ton of work, and I sacrificed any shred of a social life for the entirety of my schooling (2.5 year program, plus prereqs). I don't know that a traditional OT program would allow the same flexibility as there is typically a lot more in-person instruction, than even a regular graduate degree, because it's a lot more credit hours.

I am in an overpriced OT program right now and while I don't work (thank you, student loans!) plenty of others in my program do. I think many of them struggle with it though and their grades aren't what they'd like because of the time constraints. Truly, what is the point of working if you fail out of OT school because of it?

FWIW, I am also an older student living with my partner.

You are going to "pay" one way or another...either paying back loans after you graduate or by killing yourself to balance school and work/possibly failing. Think carefully. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in OT school right now and I also work. One of my mentor who is graduating in December worked 20+ hours a week but he was very organized and did exceptionally well in school. I wouldn't say it's impossible but you should wait after a full semester to see if you can handle the workload. I waited after a full semester to understand the amount of workload before I got my job. So now I'm working 16 hours every other week and it's very doable for me. Hope this helps.

I do not work but many of my classmates do. Some of them have either reduced their hours at work or quit their jobs completely. It really does depend on the person but the coursework is intense.

It may all depend on which school you’re at. I’m currently in a hybrid program and a number of my classmates work. But at the same time, my program is aware of our flexibility and can use a day or so per week where it’s mandatory to visit a setting, which can unfortunately involve traveling long distances. If you go the hybrid route, be prepared to tell your employer of changes in schedule..and often.

On another note, while it’s possible to work 20 hours/week, I’ve noticed stress levels were skyrocketed.

I realize many people say that working while in OT is tough, borderline impossible. However, as a non-early 20s student who would be going back a bit older and will have just gotten married at that point, I don't think being out of work for 2.5 years is an option. I already have a fairly flexible online job which could likely carry me as long as I don't do any extraneous spending and work a decent amount of hours.

My question is aimed toward anyone who DOES/DID work while in OT school. How did it work out for you? Were you able to meet basic needs and get a decent enough hours in? I realize it is going to be a challenge and that is fine. Tell me any advice you can think of or what you did to make it work.

Thanks in advance!
It is possible. I attend a full time program and work, as do many of my classmates. It is not full time employment, but it helps with things like tuition, housing and other monthly costs. Having a flexible job is a huge plus if you can get in a few hours a day around your classes. It is all about finding a schedule and program that works for you. As others have suggested, a hybrid program is always an option, it may take slightly longer than a full time program, but would allow you to work more hours. Additionally, look at the costs of the schools you are applying to, many times the less expensive options are good programs and will ultimately provide you with the same end result (an OT degree). My advice is do research into various programs, their curriculum as well as costs and find one that works best for you. Best of luck!

As others have suggested, a hybrid program is always an option, it may take slightly longer than a full time program, but would allow you to work more hours.
Hybrid programs are not necessarily longer in duration; a hybrid curriculum simply means that some of the instruction is conducted in person and some of it is online. I went to an MSOT program that was a hybrid program, as a full time student. The program was 2.5 years, with the last 0.5 year being Level II fieldwork, which is full-time fieldwork. The first two years were coursework and Level I fieldwork, which is only part time.

I work 20 hours a week but it’s at the testing center on campus so I have a lot of downtime to do homework and study. One girl in my cohort is a waitress but she looks exhausted a lot. Another works at a shoe store but said she’s probably about to quit because she doesn’t have enough time for it. I think it depends on what you can handle. For me, my job is great, but if I didn’t have time to do school work at I probably wouldn’t bother.

I've not been accepted into a school yet, but I presume I'll be able to continue personal training at a private studio or commercial gym for as many clients I can handle. Depending on how flexible your online job is and what they want in terms of productivity, I imagine you'd be able to handle that and OT school. Good luck!