Working out and keeping fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nondescriptive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, what can I say? I'm getting old. I just turned 30 and am starting dental school this fall. I wanted to know if anyone has a work out routine or idea of how to stay in shape. My friend is currently a second year and he has already gained 30 pounds over the last two years.

It seems like it is going to be difficult to keep up with these youngin', with all their youth and stamina. I feel like I sleep a lot more and lack energy when I wake up in the morning.

I'd like to hear from a few who are currently in dental school or have graduated. That would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in dental school - I start in the summer/fall like you. But, do INSANITY!! It's incredibly hard and grueling, but it's awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Try P90X. Their plyo workout will get you in shape so fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you nondescriptive. I lost 60 lbs doing insanity/p90x and found that worked for me but I'm concerned about carving out the time. For me, I may try to workout first thing in the morning. Just suck it up and get up when I need to. Of course we'll see how long that works for me. Best of luck!

I thought Freshman 15 was bad but Dental 30?! I think it's great to have a health conscious and the will to change; a healthy body and a healthy mind go hand in hand! I'm not in DS yet, but I try to workout whenever I can-at least 3 times a week. I don't do anything fancy, just a modified Navy Seal workout and cardio. Whatever you end up doing make sure you stick to it! Finding a workout buddy is always helpful as the two of you push each other to your limits and keep each other in check. Good luck!

HI I am in college and I had similar issue with freshman 15.

The main factor that cause my freshman 15 was EATING while studying

Studying takes lots of calories and sitting down in one spot more than 3 hours without any snack was killing me...I changed my study snack and I am not gaining weight but actually feeling more healthy..

For my snacks, I start drinking Herbalife shake..
it is not protein shake (yet it is high on protein) but more like nutrition shake. it is often used to lose weight in healthy way..
I am supposed to drink this for meal if I want to lose weight..but all I wanted to was not feeling hungry or dizzy during study, so I drink when I study....I drink about two shakes per day (since I am studying for DAT now..I have no time for exercise...and stay up till 3am everyday..)

it is easy to prepare and it is organic..and cookie' n cream taste really good.

Whenever I want to eat snack or feel like I need to get some energy, I make this shake and drink it. It is light on stomach so it doesn't cause me any stomach problem and it is easy and gives me energy. And I am not gaining weight..

so try Herbalife Shake.
I usually buy it from eBay or my friend's mom.
so you can try to buy it..
it is about $30/Can but you can make 30 shakes out of it (8oz of water + 2 scoops of shake power ->shake it = nice snack/meal!)
so it is ~$1/cup of shake.

HI I am in college and I had similar issue with freshman 15.

The main factor that cause my freshman 15 was EATING while studying

Studying takes lots of calories and sitting down in one spot more than 3 hours without any snack was killing me...I changed my study snack and I am not gaining weight but actually feeling more healthy..

For my snacks, I start drinking Herbalife shake..
it is not protein shake (yet it is high on protein) but more like nutrition shake. it is often used to lose weight in healthy way..
I am supposed to drink this for meal if I want to lose weight..but all I wanted to was not feeling hungry or dizzy during study, so I drink when I study....I drink about two shakes per day (since I am studying for DAT now..I have no time for exercise...and stay up till 3am everyday..)

it is easy to prepare and it is organic..and cookie' n cream taste really good.

Whenever I want to eat snack or feel like I need to get some energy, I make this shake and drink it. It is light on stomach so it doesn't cause me any stomach problem and it is easy and gives me energy. And I am not gaining weight..

so try Herbalife Shake.
I usually buy it from eBay or my friend's mom.
so you can try to buy it..
it is about $30/Can but you can make 30 shakes out of it (8oz of water + 2 scoops of shake power ->shake it = nice snack/meal!)
so it is ~$1/cup of shake.

Very nice advertisement. I have heard of it. Thanks

Well, what can I say? I'm getting old. I just turned 30 and am starting dental school this fall. I wanted to know if anyone has a work out routine or idea of how to stay in shape. My friend is currently a second year and he has already gained 30 pounds over the last two years.

It seems like it is going to be difficult to keep up with these youngin', with all their youth and stamina. I feel like I sleep a lot more and lack energy when I wake up in the morning.

I'd like to hear from a few who are currently in dental school or have graduated. That would help. Thanks!

Lift weights about 3 times a week and do a little bit of cardio(once or twice a week).

sincerely,
YOLO(a very muscular guy)

dont eat junk, learn to eat healthy and enjoy healthy food. dont pig out. dont emotionally eat when u are stressed (do u do this now?!) workout like 3 times a week if u can when in ds, or more if possible. u are old enough to make health a priority ......young 20 yr olds or teens can get away with eating crap and not caring, but once u get older, u needa start lookin out! which is why i say just adopt a healthy lifestyle. if u eat healthy u will have more engery and maybe u wont feel sleepy as much, if u eat junky food.....just welcome that food coma with open arms.

here at Penn everyone goes to the gym. No exceptions. At all.

Lift weights about 3 times a week and do a little bit of cardio(once or twice a week).

sincerely,

I love you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not in dental school yet, but I would suggest running. VERY addictive (in a good way), and not at all time consuming if you do it in the morning before class, it is also a great way to clear your head.

Back when I started I worried about motivation being an issue so I signed up for a race and downloaded a free training schedule. Now I actually look forward to waking up early so I can go for a run and feel energized for the entire morning. I also like to switch it up some mornings with tabatas to 'feel the burn'. Lots of options, you just need to be willing to give it a try!

If you are fat or obese then the fastest way to become muscular is to lift weights. Running also helps loses fat and is good for the heart but weight-lifting is the way to go..

YOLO(very muscular guy)

Jump rope for at least 30-minutes per day to start off with... :D take 30 second breaks here and there. You can watch a movie or something while jump roping

sincerely,

That is actually good workout plan for the beginner. P90X is also great program but it is for somewhat intermediate levels.

If you didn't go to gym regularly before, you should go to gym and lift weights 3 times weeks and divide into upper/lower rather than specific parts..

For example and example only...
Mon: Arm & Back &(abs)
Tue: Cardio (interval cardio is better in my experience.. and ride a bike rather than running but this is totally personal). 2mins for 80 RPM, and 30 secs for 120 RPM at certain level of your choices and repeat these "sets" for 40 mins. Aim for max heart rate around 150?
Wed: Legs & (abs)
Thurs: Cardio
Fri: Sholuder & Chest & (abs)
Sat: Cario (optional)
Sun: Rest.

Something like that... and also eating healthy is really important. Personally, I think eating healthy is more important than actual workout..

Hope this helps!

The best way to fight this is to eat healthy. It is easier, will solve your energy issue and you will also eat less and will need to exercise less. Like many have already stated, I also do selective p90x workouts and also watch them on my computer while I am on cycling on my trainer, movies are not that motivating anymore. It feels good to get the blood away from the head and into the legs and nothing can beat the low blood pressure, heart rate and fresh dose of dopamine after opening all those pores and sweating like a beast.

best way is to eat healthy, and find a physical hobby that you enjoy and can do with friends. since time is a limiting factor in dental school, you might need to combine a few things.

for example, playing tennis twice or rock climbing twice a week, you get: you enjoy what you're doing, you get physical health benefits, social interaction/hanging out with your friends, stress relief...etc

instead of just going a friends party and getting drunk, where you get social intereaction, stress relief, but with negative health benefits. obviously theres nothing wrong with going to a party, just giving an example as to why physical exercise can be beneficial

most importantly, you should find a physical activity that you enjoy with your friends and eat healthy.

i'm a D1 now. go to the gym right after you get out of class. whenever i go home, i get stuck on my couch or accidentally nap. you will be exhausted after almost every day, so gotta go straight there. your diet is more important, though. and whenever you do cardio, just be sure to do 40+ minutes. that'll get you the most fat burn.

Go in the morning. Get it over with. It's way to hard when you go home after a 10+ hour day filled with exams to go to the gym. Just go in the morning. Make it routine.

I remember being addicted to this forum during my freshman year in college, but have broke that addiction. Haven't posted in a while.

Anyways, I'm not sure if you know this, but you can workout as much as you want (lifting, running, or whatever activity you want to do), but if you are not in a caloric deficit, you will not lose weight. So you could lose weight just by tweaking your diet at home. Now I wouldn't advise to just watch the caloric intake as when you lose weight it is almost inevitable to lose at least a little muscle. That is the point of lifting while being at a caloric deficit, not to maintain the muscle you have, but to maintain the strength. No you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you are a beginner or consume illegal substances (I don't want to talk about this, obviously I don't want to get banned)

I remember being addicted to this forum during my freshman year in college, but have broke that addiction. Haven't posted in a while.

Anyways, I'm not sure if you know this, but you can workout as much as you want (lifting, running, or whatever activity you want to do), but if you are not in a caloric deficit, you will not lose weight. So you could lose weight just by tweaking your diet at home. Now I wouldn't advise to just watch the caloric intake as when you lose weight it is almost inevitable to lose at least a little muscle. That is the point of lifting while being at a caloric deficit, not to maintain the muscle you have, but to maintain the strength. No you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you are a beginner or consume illegal substances (I don't want to talk about this, obviously I don't want to get banned)

I feel most people will misunderstand you when you say "beginner". Just to clarify, beginner is 1-2 years of consistent lifting. (actual weight lifting, not that p90x or insanity crap)

I feel most people will misunderstand you when you say "beginner". Just to clarify, beginner is 1-2 years of consistent lifting. (actual weight lifting, not that p90x or insanity crap)

Correct. 1 - 2 years consistent unlike myself. People think I've worked out for a long time, genetics are pretty good thankfully, but I wasted a lot of time by being inconsistent and it sucks when you see people smaller than you out lifting you but that's what happens when you train right, and consistent with your diet and routine.

Correct. 1 - 2 years consistent unlike myself. People think I've worked out for a long time, genetics are pretty good thankfully, but I wasted a lot of time by being inconsistent and it sucks when you see people smaller than you out lifting you but that's what happens when you train right, and consistent with your diet and routine.

Well strength and body size don't always go hand in hand. There's genetic potential but there's also your training style. Keeping your muscles under tension for longer (higher reps) is what bodybuilders do. Power lifters use very low sets but extremely heavy. I work out my upper body using the bodybuilding style of training and my lower body using power lifter style of training so I can get the V taper to come out better.

Being consistent is very hard...school in any form will always mess up your gym routine. Since graduating this summer i've been pretty consistent and am getting steady results. I just hope continuously working out like this will make it a habit so it becomes a high priority in dental school. It's already to the point where if I don't work out for more than 3 days my body gets super stiff and i'm not as happy.

Well strength and body size don't always go hand in hand. There's genetic potential but there's also your training style. Keeping your muscles under tension for longer (higher reps) is what bodybuilders do. Power lifters use very low sets but extremely heavy. I work out my upper body using the bodybuilding style of training and my lower body using power lifter style of training so I can get the V taper to come out better.

Being consistent is very hard...school in any form will always mess up your gym routine. Since graduating this summer i've been pretty consistent and am getting steady results. I just hope continuously working out like this will make it a habit so it becomes a high priority in dental school. It's already to the point where if I don't work out for more than 3 days my body gets super stiff and i'm not as happy.

This is also true. The leanest I ever got, you could see a v taper forming, but I gained some weight back. I'm at about 230 and 20ish% bf which isn't so bad for that weight. I still have a flat stomach, but definitely weaker than I look. Cutting fat + trying to get stronger is so slow. Planning in fixing up my routine after finals are over, but I have a knee ligament problem and it might take some time before I can get it checked so until then it's upper body work only. What do you suggest?

the most important thing is monitoring your caloric intake... after u get a good control on it u can manipulate it to satisfy ur needs... nutrition is key when trying to gain/lose weight, working out is secondary

This is also true. The leanest I ever got, you could see a v taper forming, but I gained some weight back. I'm at about 230 and 20ish% bf which isn't so bad for that weight. I still have a flat stomach, but definitely weaker than I look. Cutting fat + trying to get stronger is so slow. Planning in fixing up my routine after finals are over, but I have a knee ligament problem and it might take some time before I can get it checked so until then it's upper body work only. What do you suggest?

Once you're done with your finals you'll be making allll kindsss of gainsss lollll. No really though. Less stress + more sleep = faster recovery (typically). As far as your knee problems go, i'd stay away from deadlifts and squats. You can still workout your legs by doing ham curls and quad extensions. Work out legs = more testosterone released = faster growth. Since you haven't been consistent, as you said, you should still be able to make gains and lose fat at the same time. Just make sure you're getting in around 1g/lean body weight (for you it's 184g) everyday and don't rely too much on protein powder since most of it gets through your system faster than eating regular, solid foods. I currently do a 5 day split where I do back, chest, legs, shoulders, triceps + biceps. 2 days off. Rinse and repeat.

As for as strength I feel you...i'm really weak at pushing (i saw highschool kids do as much as me on the bench) but i'm strong at pulling (I can easily pull 2-3x the amount I push). Plus, pushing all that weight without a lot of muscle can't be good for the joints. Their joints probably take a lot of the hit. Everyone's body is different. But at the end of the day, at least for me, it's more about what I look like rather than how much weight I can move.

Good luck to you. Work hard now so when you're in dental school you can at least maintain your physique. It's gonna be impossible to grow in dental school with such inconsistent workout routines.

the most important thing is monitoring your caloric intake... after u get a good control on it u can manipulate it to satisfy ur needs... nutrition is key when trying to gain/lose weight, working out is secondary

Like they say...abs are made in the kitchen...not at the gym.

I'm not in dental school - I start in the summer/fall like you. But, do INSANITY!! It's incredibly hard and grueling, but it's awesome.

INSANITY FOR THE WIN.
I seriously love it.

Yea, it's crazy in the beginning to keep up with, but the results are like so awesome.

Do you even lift bro?

Reactions: 1 users
INSANITY FOR THE WIN.
I seriously love it.

Yea, it's crazy in the beginning to keep up with, but the results are like so awesome.

It's really great if you're losing to shed pounds of fat. I did it for a month and my stomach was noticeably flatter.

It's really great if you're losing to shed pounds of fat. I did it for a month and my stomach was noticeably flatter.

I mean, I did it to tone, per say, more than lose weight. Man, it worked miracles!

I agree, P90x was a beast. In addition, I study on my exercise bike for about an hour every other morning. Definitely hauling it to dental school with me :)

INSANITY FOR THE WIN.
I seriously love it.

Agreed! I'm on round two now. :D

If you're just worrying about weight gain...don't be. I honestly don't eat that great and I'm losing weight from school(D1). Don't know if it's stress or not drinking 4-5 days a week like college but my family all noticed over thanksgiving. I don't think I've seen anyone in our class complain about weight gain.

Go in the morning. Get it over with. It's way to hard when you go home after a 10+ hour day filled with exams to go to the gym. Just go in the morning. Make it routine.

I am not sure about morning workout! I tend to feel sleepy during midday if I workout in the morning.

I workout at the end of the day and sleep like a baby at night.

hardcore lap swimming for 30 minutes a day and you will be very, very, and very fit. :drowning: :drowning: :drowning:

I too share a similar concern with staying fit and maintaining an aesthetic physique in dental school. My own hope and recommendation to you is to find a lifting partner who has similar goals. A workout program is one thing, but staying motivated (with diet/workouts) is another (especially in dental school) - that's where a partner is invaluable. Also make sure you choose a program that you enjoy, yet continually challenges you and allows you to practice progressive overload principles!...Powerlifting, bodybuilding, crossfit, olympic lifting, p90x, etc or mix em up. I've gotten great results using a bodybuilding/powerlifting hybrid routine (extremely taxing on the CNS, so maybe not the best for dental school, but reduce the volume and you'll be okay). Lastly, choose a program that is best suited for your body type and goals. Using myself as an example, I have a super fast metabolism that makes it difficult for me to gain weight/fat, so a program like p90x or insanity wouldn't be beneficial for me. Since you are trying to maintain, possibly add some muscle, while avoiding fat gain, you are lucky because you can probably do whatever workout you desire and assuming your diet and caloric intake are in check, you'll be fine.

Also don't forget a quality multivitamin (not all vitamins are created equal with respect to bioavailability)!

1. Pull young children in a wagon through the neighborhood. Or give them a ride in a jogging stroller.
  2. Let little children ride bicycles or tricycles while you jog behind.

Reactions: 2 users
ahaha. that was funny AQZ. I'm not really worried about losing weight in dental school. I'm more worried about keeping my weight. Took me 8 months to gain 12 pounds(5.4Kg). I am now at 180lbs(81.6Kg)...I will have to keep eating a lot and doing multiple reps. Don't really care if I'm strong. I don't exercise for strength..I exercise for show.

I am not sure about morning workout! I tend to feel sleepy during midday if I workout in the morning.

I workout at the end of the day and sleep like a baby at night.

are you me? if i lifted in the morning i'd sleep through every single lecture. i'd rather save it for the end of the day to make sure i get the proper amount of R.E.M. reps overnight.

I don't exercise for strength..I exercise for show.

lol

I too share a similar concern with staying fit and maintaining an aesthetic physique in dental school. My own hope and recommendation to you is to find a lifting partner who has similar goals. A workout program is one thing, but staying motivated (with diet/workouts) is another (especially in dental school) - that's where a partner is invaluable. Also make sure you choose a program that you enjoy, yet continually challenges you and allows you to practice progressive overload principles!...Powerlifting, bodybuilding, crossfit, olympic lifting, p90x, etc or mix em up. I've gotten great results using a bodybuilding/powerlifting hybrid routine (extremely taxing on the CNS, so maybe not the best for dental school, but reduce the volume and you'll be okay). Lastly, choose a program that is best suited for your body type and goals. Using myself as an example, I have a super fast metabolism that makes it difficult for me to gain weight/fat, so a program like p90x or insanity wouldn't be beneficial for me. Since you are trying to maintain, possibly add some muscle, while avoiding fat gain, you are lucky because you can probably do whatever workout you desire and assuming your diet and caloric intake are in check, you'll be fine.

Also don't forget a quality multivitamin (not all vitamins are created equal with respect to bioavailability)!

Good point. I plan to find a workout buddy once I start school as well.

I need a tennis/swimming buddy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Started from the middle, now we here

LOL Swimming buddy, where would you attend school?

I'm serious :( motivates me to jump in the pool when I know someone else will jump with me <3

Still not sure, waiting on offers.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk