Working part time in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pomegranate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work at the school I was accepted to taking care of the lab animals. I have the opportunity to drop down to part time, 10-15 hrs a week, when school starts. This way I can offset some of the money I am taking out in loans or pay the intrest off while in school so my principle doesn't keep increasing. I wouldn't have to travel to a different location, just the adjacent building. Do you think this is feasible with a PBL curriculum? I know it would only be for the first two years due to traveling in clinicals. I would like to move on to a residency after vet school. Do you think it would be possible and still get good enough grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

I'm about to enter clinics and I've worked part-time (one 8-hour shift a week) since October of first year. I'm also pursuing the specialty route, and I've been able to keep my GPA at around a 3.7.

I have no idea what it would be like in the PBL curriculum, but for our more traditional curriculum, it was very do-able. It really helps to have a boss who you can say, "I've got three tests this week, so I don't think I'm going to be able to make it" (only did that once).

However, I really think it depends on the individual. Some people I know study all weekend long. My job was on Saturdays, and I rarely if ever studied from Friday afternoon until Monday. If it's possible, I'd see about giving them a "maybe" and seeing how you feel about time management after your first month or so of school. I think it takes one exam cycle (one exam per class) to really get a feel for how much time you need to spend studying and if you can "afford" the time.

I think 15 hours a week might be pushing it unless you were able to use some "down time" as study time.

The paycheck is really nice, even if it's pretty small--I know I'll be missing it in clinics! Fortunately won't have much time to spend anything, though. ;)

Good luck!! :) And congrats!

Wow a 3.7, you've given me hope. My boss said that if I can't swing working and vet school then I can quit no harm no foul. I just didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. I think I'll try 10 hours a week, it'll be nice to have some extra cash. I can do an hour a day during the week and then a 5 hours on Saturday. Thank you! I'm really excited to start, August seems so far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
alliecat44 said:
Some people I know study all weekend long. My job was on Saturdays, and I rarely if ever studied from Friday afternoon until Monday.

May I ask how you study during the week? I would really love to be able to do well with that type of study routine but worry it won't be adequate. Did you have an exceptionally strong background before starting vet school or are you just a super smarty-pants?

If you get a job at the vet school hospital pharmacy, is there usually lots of downtime to study?

Or should I try to work at the library if that's what I'm after?

May I ask how you study during the week? I would really love to be able to do well with that type of study routine but worry it won't be adequate. Did you have an exceptionally strong background before starting vet school or are you just a super smarty-pants?

Not a super-smarty pants! :) I had a very strong background in small animal specialty medicine (several different specialties) prior to veterinary school; however, I had absolutely NO large animal experience (not even shadowing). So, I think it pretty much evened out. :)

One thing that facilitated that study schedule in first year was that ALL of our exams were on Fridays. Once second year started and we had exams any day of the week (including Mondays), I'd have to study on Friday afternoon or Sunday as needed.

Everyone learns differently. :) I don't have the patience for making flashcards and they don't work that well for me, and I'm not much of an auditory learner so re-listening to recorded lectures wouldn't help me, either. I have classmates who spent hours and hours with each of these study materials because it's what worked for them.

I'm personally a reading/learn-by-doing type person, though my eyes will glaze over with boredom quite often. ;) What I would do is go through all of my lecture notes and highlight the important bits first, and then on each subsequent re-reading of the lecture notes I'd JUST read what I had highlighted.

The highlighting made it an active process--I had to consciously sort out what was important from what was not, knowing that if I didn't highlight something I was betting it wouldn't be important. Then, my visual memory would kick in as I kept going over stuff and being able to "see" the pages in my head (the highlighting "patterns" or whatever). As I became more familiar with the material (after 2 repetitions or so), I'd mentally try to remember what was on the next page before I looked. Also, to keep myself engaged, I'd mentally try to focus on what would differentiate two similar conditions/diseases/drugs/anatomy locations/etc.

I'd usually try to go over all the material 3-5 times before an exam, depending on how much tme I had. For the just pure rote-memorization stuff first year, I'd have to do more repetition (5-7 times), but for the medicine and path courses later, my attempts at actively reasoning through the material mentally ("okay, this is why you get this and this abnormality with this problem and so you see this") would decrease the number of times I had to go through it and cement it in.

I also enjoyed studying with a group--that really helped--going over old exam questions out loud and reasoning through them with your friends who are stronger in different areas than you are REALLY helped! If you're at all amenable to it, I highly recommend studying with other people as you get closer to the exam/more familiar with the material and are able to talk about it somewhat fluently.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hope it helps. :) There are several threads in the pre-vet forum that talk about study habits in vet school and what works for other people. I was just lucky that the techniques that worked for me were also very time-efficient! If I had been stuck making flashcards, I would have probably poked my eye with a fork on more than one occasion. ;)

I'm also old (30!) and did not have the motivation/patience to stay up until 2 or 3am to study. I'm a firm believer that sleeping in between reps of the material really helps solidify the material in your brain--so I'd go to bed by midnight every night. I also wasn't focused on points/obsessed about grades--which I think really helped, because stress rarely does any favors when it comes to memorizing a whole bunch of stuff! (That said, I do work best under pressure and tend to procrastinate with the best of 'em!)

Last edited:
Not sure if that answers your question, but hope it helps. :) There are several threads in the pre-vet forum that talk about study habits in vet school and what works for other people.

Yes, thank you very much! I've read many of the study techniques threads, but nothing ever specifically addressed juggling work, school and still achieving good grades. I hope to continue working occasional shifts at the ER clinic, but was worried it would be doable. Very encouraging!

If you get a job at the vet school hospital pharmacy, is there usually lots of downtime to study?

Can't speak for UC Davis but pharmacy downtime depends on the day here; sometimes there's not enough time to sit down and other days all you're doing is sitting. I would try to get in contact with any students currently working there, or the pharmacy technicians. They can give you a much better idea of what it's like there.

Yes, thank you very much! I've read many of the study techniques threads, but nothing ever specifically addressed juggling work, school and still achieving good grades. I hope to continue working occasional shifts at the ER clinic, but was worried it would be doable. Very encouraging!

No problem--good luck and have fun!

FWIW, my job was as a tech in the ICU and maintaining contact with actual patients/actually DOING stuff was really a lifesaver at times for my sanity. For both you and the OP, your jobs can definitely help remind you of why you're in vet school when you're just sitting in a lecture hall memorizing stuff that is so incredibly boring and seems to have nothing to do with actually practicing medicine...errrghhh.... So emotionally, I definitely recommend trying to keep a shift a week as long as you can handle it academically. :) If I had a job doing paperwork or something, I don't know that it would be worth it!

Not a super-smarty pants! :) I had a very strong background in small animal specialty medicine (several different specialties) prior to veterinary school; however, I had absolutely NO large animal experience (not even shadowing). So, I think it pretty much evened out. :)

One thing that facilitated that study schedule in first year was that ALL of our exams were on Fridays. Once second year started and we had exams any day of the week (including Mondays), I'd have to study on Friday afternoon or Sunday as needed.

Everyone learns differently. :) I don't have the patience for making flashcards and they don't work that well for me, and I'm not much of an auditory learner so re-listening to recorded lectures wouldn't help me, either. I have classmates who spent hours and hours with each of these study materials because it's what worked for them.

I'm personally a reading/learn-by-doing type person, though my eyes will glaze over with boredom quite often. ;) What I would do is go through all of my lecture notes and highlight the important bits first, and then on each subsequent re-reading of the lecture notes I'd JUST read what I had highlighted.

The highlighting made it an active process--I had to consciously sort out what was important from what was not, knowing that if I didn't highlight something I was betting it wouldn't be important. Then, my visual memory would kick in as I kept going over stuff and being able to "see" the pages in my head (the highlighting "patterns" or whatever). As I became more familiar with the material (after 2 repetitions or so), I'd mentally try to remember what was on the next page before I looked. Also, to keep myself engaged, I'd mentally try to focus on what would differentiate two similar conditions/diseases/drugs/anatomy locations/etc.

I'd usually try to go over all the material 3-5 times before an exam, depending on how much tme I had. For the just pure rote-memorization stuff first year, I'd have to do more repetition (5-7 times), but for the medicine and path courses later, my attempts at actively reasoning through the material mentally ("okay, this is why you get this and this abnormality with this problem and so you see this") would decrease the number of times I had to go through it and cement it in.

I also enjoyed studying with a group--that really helped--going over old exam questions out loud and reasoning through them with your friends who are stronger in different areas than you are REALLY helped! If you're at all amenable to it, I highly recommend studying with other people as you get closer to the exam/more familiar with the material and are able to talk about it somewhat fluently.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hope it helps. :) There are several threads in the pre-vet forum that talk about study habits in vet school and what works for other people. I was just lucky that the techniques that worked for me were also very time-efficient! If I had been stuck making flashcards, I would have probably poked my eye with a fork on more than one occasion. ;)

I'm also old (30!) and did not have the motivation/patience to stay up until 2 or 3am to study. I'm a firm believer that sleeping in between reps of the material really helps solidify the material in your brain--so I'd go to bed by midnight every night. I also wasn't focused on points/obsessed about grades--which I think really helped, because stress rarely does any favors when it comes to memorizing a whole bunch of stuff! (That said, I do work best under pressure and tend to procrastinate with the best of 'em!)

This is very similar to my study habits. the only thing that I do in addition is to do a review of the week just going through everything and making sure I understand it. This makes studying for exams much easier because you don't have to untangle the info first. I also strongly encourage studying with friends I just read through my notes and condensed in undergrad but it is really helpful to talk things through with friends after you have all gotten a handle on things yourselves.

I also agree that it is possible to have a job and get good grades (PM if you want a number don't want to post it on here). I worked one evening a week in icu/er and occasionally picked up extra shifts. I was also involved in clubs ate a decent homemade dinner everynight and go to bed by 11pm.

I wouldn't have to travel to a different location, just the adjacent building. Do you think this is feasible with a PBL curriculum? I know it would only be for the first two years due to traveling in clinicals. I would like to move on to a residency after vet school. Do you think it would be possible and still get good enough grades?

If you mean Western, yes it is feasible. BUT the beginning will be an extremely hard adjustment period. I would contemplate asking your boss if you can do very few hours to start (during the fisrt 8 week block, like one hour per day during the week, trust me you will need your weekends in the beginning to catch up) and then once you see how you handle the PBL curriculum decide for sure.

As for me, I would have driven myself crazy trying to work during the PBL years. Teaching myself, keeping up with the material, and actually spending time with my husband was enough already for me.

Just curious, but what ER clinic?

I didn't elaborate in the original post for concision. I have an open door at my current clinic to work any weekend I drive home and I can name my shifts. Also have an opportunity at an AER in OKC. I've got a friend currently practicing in Tulsa who is harassing me to come work with them. I'm doubting I will have much difficulty finding shifts at that one. Last on the list to investigate: SA CC at the school itself. So in short, no specific answer yet.

I was gonna say, there's not one in town and the closest one will be about an hour away (or, 140 miles round trip, per my calculations). I was gonna say that the VTH only hires RVT/LVTs, but you are anyway and that won't matter, right?

the VTH only hires RVT/LVTs, but you are anyway and that won't matter, right?

That's correct, although not OK licensed. Will need to do some investigating to see if it's even worth obtaining OK licensure.

I was gonna say, there's not one in town and the closest one will be about an hour away

That's the toss up: drive an hour to work (not very different from what I am already doing now) for different people and scenery or work close but it could feel like I *never* leave school. Although on the other hand, if I worked at the VTH, maybe it would look favorable later down the road if I'm asking for LORs for internships/residencies. I'd at least be someone they were familiar with, outside of just a student. Dunno.

Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

Would the VTH ever hire a vet student into a traditional tech role?

Seems like it would make for an odd dynamic to have a 1st year student/tech telling the 4th year students on their rotations how to do things.

In our teaching hospitals most of the students seem to work in student specific roles.

Seems like it would make for an odd dynamic to have a 1st year student/tech telling the 4th year students on their rotations how to do things.

Not really. I find myself doing it all the time.

Would the VTH ever hire a vet student into a traditional tech role?

In our teaching hospitals most of the students seem to work in student specific roles.

I've been doing it for three years (technician in the small animal ICU). Gets strange at times depending on student attitude, but it's fine.

It's really hard to say what their rules for hiring ICU staff are. You may have to take some strange shifts for it to work- I dunno how they rotate there or what is required. You'll have to wait and see on that one!

Or should I try to work at the library if that's what I'm after?

I just started working at the pharmacy at the VMTH so I have a fair idea of the work load... The students are hired as night staff from 5:30pm to 8am with shifts as short as 2 hours and as long as 5 with the option of doing several shifts in one night. It's very flexible and only the first few hours are actually busy (usually). So you do have a good amount of downtime to study.

I've worked about 5 hours a week doing childcare for church in town for about 7.5 years. Had to give up the mid-week shift on Wednesday nights due to clinics, but I can still usually do the Sunday night ones. They understand that if I am on call for emergency, I have to leave. Plus the church is only like 5 minutes from school whereas my house is about 15 minutes. I also had a job for 2 years as one of the more labor intensive student rep jobs, which was about 15 hours a month. Try 5-10 hours and see how that goes.