working per diem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moxijab2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
quick question about working per diem when you have a full time gig already.

I am currently working 5 x 8 hour shifts (inpatient), and wanna consider getting a per diem job at a different hospital. Would training be feasible if I am only available 2 days out of the week? Just wondering how you guys who have 2 jobs have worked out scheduling and the logistics.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Try to find a location where you know someone who may be able to put in a good word to help get you brought on
2) Find a location that uses an EHR system you are knowledgeable with, as that would reduce the amount of training and knowledge lapse if not working often, as you can easily navigate the system
3) Can you adjust your schedule at the FT position? Working 10 hr shifts or 7 on/off makes having a 2nd job a lot easier, as you have more days to work with. Also consider how variable your FT position schedule is (ie are you off every X weekend or on the same day of each week, which would make scheduling at the PRN spot easier and more reliable)

If training is an issue, then you could always try to use PTO to get several days off in a row to help accommodate being available initially.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are good enough, then why even waste time training. They are probably looking to hire someone who can come in and work and make a difference without a day of training. Some per diem gigs are created to cover employee vacation days. They might want someone who is available all the time but only wants to work a few days like a retired Rph or female RPH who is a stay at home mom. Some per diem gigs are made to try out an RPH to potentially become full time. Make sure you know what your are getting into before you even interview. I went to an interview one time and I got hired but the pharmacy wanted me to work 3 days a week. I had to turn it down because I already worked full time. I ended wasting everyones times by not asking about all the details.

Reactions: 1 user