working to pay for post-bac

Started by jubaju
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jubaju

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to work at the cheesecake factory to pay for my postbac classes. My parents footed my undergrad bill, but as of January 2007, I'm officially cut off. I make LOTS of $$ but it has no relevance to the doctor that I'm going to be. Is that bad? should I be looking for a more 'relevant' job?
 
Doesn't matter what you do, as long as it pays the bills best. However, if you'll be working during your postbac, I suggest taking out a loan instead- itll be difficult to do both given the workload. Id rather be in debt than risk doing poorly because of less time dedicated to studying
 
I worked part time last semester, two days a week but really long days and only took two classes (both science). It worked out pretty well for me. Next semester I am only work one day a week since I am going to three classes, all sciences again. I had the advantage of having a good amount of downtime at my gig so I could study. I don't think it would have worked out as well if I had to wait tables. I suggest taking only one or two courses if you need to work, don't overload.
 
Hi there. If it makes you feel better, I am working in a non-medical field (bartending) because it allows me to work 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) and pull in the income of working 5 days per week. So 16 hours of work that is fun and fast-paced for full time $= I can afford post-bacc and still have time to study, volunteer, shadow, etc. Its easy to give up shift around finals if I need more time to study cause the new people want those shifts. Find what works for you, your schooling and your bills.