Working under another physician after medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intern_for_life

Reaction score
Is it possible for somebody who finishes just a pathology intern year (not a true clinical year) to get a license and then work as a medical assistant doing physicals and such for a board certified physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone who knows more can comment further, but I've heard that some states have "house physicians," or MD graduates with no residency working under a licensed physician. Here's Florida's page: Florida Board of Medicine » Resident Physicians, Interns, Fellows, and House Physicians- Healthcare Practitioner Licensing and Regulation. They have a professional association: Association of Medical Doctor Assistant Physicians

I also wonder, since you're in pathology (me too), if you could get hired as a PA (Pathologists' Assistant) without going to PA school. They are in super-short supply here in Boston. Six figures and a 40-hour week, not too bad. Maybe try getting in touch with a human (not HR) at some of the hospitals you're interested in. Depending on who the hiring manager is, maybe you could make a discreet inquiry at your current program, not to be hired there, but to see what they think of the concept. I would personally trust our lab manager to keep it under her hat, but YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone who knows more can comment further, but I've heard that some states have "house physicians," or MD graduates with no residency working under a licensed physician. Here's Florida's page: Florida Board of Medicine » Resident Physicians, Interns, Fellows, and House Physicians- Healthcare Practitioner Licensing and Regulation. They have a professional association: Association of Medical Doctor Assistant Physicians

I also wonder, since you're in pathology (me too), if you could get hired as a PA (Pathologists' Assistant) without going to PA school. They are in super-short supply here in Boston. Six figures and a 40-hour week, not too bad. Maybe try getting in touch with a human (not HR) at some of the hospitals you're interested in. Depending on who the hiring manager is, maybe you could make a discreet inquiry at your current program, not to be hired there, but to see what they think of the concept. I would personally trust our lab manager to keep it under her hat, but YMMV.

OP has posted elsewhere about how they have a formalin intolerance of sorts. Finishing path and becoming an attending will likely get them away from grossing. I suspect that this PA path you're describing will not.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah can’t go the path assistant route unfortunately. Still wondering if anyone knows about working as an assistant under another physician after a year of pathology in a clinical setting. Not sure if that license even counts as anything after passing step 3?

Yeah can’t go the path assistant route unfortunately. Still wondering if anyone knows about working as an assistant under another physician after a year of pathology in a clinical setting. Not sure if that license even counts as anything after passing step 3?

A medical license is a license to practice medicine. You can complete a path intern year or a Gen Surg intern year and you will get the same license. But the license is only half of the issue, the other half is finding someone to let you practice with no training.

I believe what you're looking for is the Missouri Assistant Physician program. Not sure what the job prospects are actually like but there it is.

A medical assistant (MA/CMA) is somebody that does vitals/med rec/blood draws/injections in some clinics and requires it's own license (which I suspect you could get), but that's not what you appear to be asking about.

Reactions: 3 users
As an update from before, I finished my pathology year and gave it my all to make sure the program does not suffer because of me. I think the attendings appreciated that and have been supportive. I will be unable to continue in pathology due to issues with formalin exposure and I was unable to secure a residency spot in primary care this application cycle. I will be taking and plan to finish Step 3 after getting credit for the 1 year of pathology. I was still wondering since I am very uninformed in this matter, does my 1 year in pathology only qualify me to apply for a license in the state I completed my year of residency? Can I still apply for a license in other states? The reason I ask this is because I am a DO grad and plan to get back to learning and expanding on my Osteopathic Manipulation training and start a cash-only OMT practice under the supervision of my brother who is currently a board certified primary care physician (also a DO). From my understanding, having a license would qualify me to practice OMT under my brother's supervision. If anybody can chime in on this subject I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Reactions: 2 users
You can get a license in any state that allows a license with 1 year of training. The fact that your year was in pathology won't play a role. Once you have a license, you can practice independently (although I would not recommend that -- just OMT in an established practice would be a reasonable option)

You can get a license in any state that allows a license with 1 year of training. The fact that your year was in pathology won't play a role. Once you have a license, you can practice independently (although I would not recommend that -- just OMT in an established practice would be a reasonable option)
Can I also pay for my own malpractice insurance. How much does that typically cost on average?

As an update from before, I finished my pathology year and gave it my all to make sure the program does not suffer because of me. I think the attendings appreciated that and have been supportive. I will be unable to continue in pathology due to issues with formalin exposure and I was unable to secure a residency spot in primary care this application cycle. I will be taking and plan to finish Step 3 after getting credit for the 1 year of pathology. I was still wondering since I am very uninformed in this matter, does my 1 year in pathology only qualify me to apply for a license in the state I completed my year of residency? Can I still apply for a license in other states? The reason I ask this is because I am a DO grad and plan to get back to learning and expanding on my Osteopathic Manipulation training and start a cash-only OMT practice under the supervision of my brother who is currently a board certified primary care physician (also a DO). From my understanding, having a license would qualify me to practice OMT under my brother's supervision. If anybody can chime in on this subject I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
You can get a license in >30 states with a complete COMLEX series and 1 year of post-graduate training. You don't even need to work in OMT under your brother, especially if it's cash pay. Insurance reimbursement for you could be an issue, but if your brother is present and bills it should be fine. You could give other GP jobs too if you wanted.

Thank you
You are eligible for licensure in 30-something states as someone who went to med school in the US and subsequently completed a year of residency. FSMB | State Specific Requirements for Initial Medical Licensure has the details

In general though, as a non board-eligible or board certified physician, your job prospects are limited. Yes, you can start a cash-only OMT practice - with or without supervision, since you would have an unrestricted license - but you won't really be able to get most other jobs since you wouldn't be able to contract with most insurance companies.

You're better off trying again to get into a residency - I'm not sure if a path year counts as eligibility for some of the odder ones like Occupational/Preventative Medicine but it's a consideration if it does.

You are eligible for licensure in 30-something states as someone who went to med school in the US and subsequently completed a year of residency. FSMB | State Specific Requirements for Initial Medical Licensure has the details

In general though, as a non board-eligible or board certified physician, your job prospects are limited. Yes, you can start a cash-only OMT practice - with or without supervision, since you would have an unrestricted license - but you won't really be able to get most other jobs since you wouldn't be able to contract with most insurance companies.

You're better off trying again to get into a residency - I'm not sure if a path year counts as eligibility for some of the odder ones like Occupational/Preventative Medicine but it's a consideration if it does.
Thank you. That licensure website was really helpful. I have inquired Occupational/Preventative Medicine programs and unfortunately a year of pathology does not count and it has to be a year in direct patient care. I have considered taking step 3 and reapplying for primary care but my window seems to be dwindling down since I am 2 years past graduation now. I believe the cash-only OMT is one of the only options left for me to practice as a physician and treat patients.

I would appreciate any other insight from anyone who has first-hand experience with cash-only OMT or know someone else who has chosen this pathway and whether it is a serious option in terms of making a living.

Thank you. That licensure website was really helpful. I have inquired Occupational/Preventative Medicine programs and unfortunately a year of pathology does not count and it has to be a year in direct patient care. I have considered taking step 3 and reapplying for primary care but my window seems to be dwindling down since I am 2 years past graduation now. I believe the cash-only OMT is one of the only options left for me to practice as a physician and treat patients.

I would appreciate any other insight from anyone who has first-hand experience with cash-only OMT or know someone else who has chosen this pathway and whether it is a serious option in terms of making a living.
What happened to the former DO traditional rotating years? That would be a reasonable way to get a year of direct patient care if those pathways still exist as TYs or something.

What happened to the former DO traditional rotating years? That would be a reasonable way to get a year of direct patient care if those pathways still exist as TYs or something.
Most are gone. They are all trying to get ACGME accreditation. I did almost get into one program that was expecting accreditation and had me on a list but they couldn't even get the accreditation.

Thank you
I wonder where you did your intern year. Because at my program, the ventilation is so good that you can’t even smell the formalin in the air at all.