Working under Nurse Managers for Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahgirl89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone if any other school besides ATSU SOMA makes you report under nurse managers for 3rd and 4th year rotations?

I dont mind working with nurses, but I would prefer to work under a doctor to learn how he treats patients.

Before you guys start getting mad at me for hating nurses, let me just make one thing clear - I DONT HATE NURSES! MY MOM IS A NURSE, but I want to make sure that in my 3rd and 4th year rotation I work under the supervision of a medical doctor, attending, or resident.

Please let me know what schools make you work under nurse managers.

Members don't see this ad.

WHAAAAAAAAT???? Its medical school, not nursing school. You darn well better be reporting to doctors. I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone??

WHAAAAAAAAT???? Its medical school, not nursing school. You darn well better be reporting to doctors. I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone??

To clear things up, it's a DNP, not an RN, and from my understanding, this is a pretty isolated case, and it's important to remember that this is a 2nd year rotation, which doesn't exist at other schools. Even if you did understand more about the basic sciences than the DNP during your second year, the clinical knowledge that they would be able to give you during that second year, when you're handling simpler cases anyway, would be equal to what a physician would teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that this is more of a SOMA thing. The only thing I've heard of otherwise are some students opinions (both DO and MD) regarding PAs during rotations.

I am a nurse practitioner and a certified nurse midwife. In my office, I got to have many 3rd year med students rotate through. Often times they spent more time with me than the doctor. I have taught nursing both lecture and clinicals so teaching comes naterally to me. I would let them get more "hands on experience" than the doctor would. I always explained the difference in our management plans and would refer them to the physician to elaborate. There is nothing better than to watch the look in the student's eye when they witnessed a birth for the first time or better yet when I let them do the delivery and they delivered their first baby.

I look foward to eventually being a 3rd and 4th year. I will not have a problems having some time with a nurse practitioner/DNP as long as it is complimented with a physician.

tbcnm

tbcnm, that's a really neat perspective, thanks.

I am a nurse practitioner and a certified nurse midwife. In my office, I got to have many 3rd year med students rotate through. Often times they spent more time with me than the doctor. I have taught nursing both lecture and clinicals so teaching comes naterally to me. I would let them get more "hands on experience" than the doctor would. I always explained the difference in our management plans and would refer them to the physician to elaborate. There is nothing better than to watch the look in the student's eye when they witnessed a birth for the first time or better yet when I let them do the delivery and they delivered their first baby.

I look foward to eventually being a 3rd and 4th year. I will not have a problems having some time with a nurse practitioner/DNP as long as it is complimented with a physician.

tbcnm