Working vs. Taking a break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curly818

Reaction score
Hey everybody!! So I haven't made a decision yet, but I know that most schools start classes like early August and I have been planning on leaving my job around mid-June just to give myself a small break before going back to school. Do y'all think that's enough of a break or should I just suffer a bit longer (lol) until July to get that last bit of cash in?? I would love to hear other people's timelines that they have done in the past and what others are planning on doing this upcoming summer :)

PS I do plan on rovering/doing wag/pet sitting after I leave my job to continue some cash flow before going back to school. Thanks in advance everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked until the end of July, but my school started in mid/late August. I guess it depends how much of a break you feel like you need. I gave myself two weeks to get settled in after moving (I moved a few days after I stopped working), and I overestimated how much time I would need. Honestly I was getting a little bored by the time orientation started. This upcoming summer I plan to work until closer before the start of the semester to maximize how much money I can make.

I’m totally planning on working all the way through until the week before leaving! that’s just what i’ve always done in college and it has worked. for me, work is nothing like being stressed at school so as long as i’m not studying it feels like a break! plus i love my job

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my job, but I will be done with work at least one month before vet school starts. I believe we all deserve that break.

For reference, I have about 2k saved up now. I’m hoping to have about 3-4k saved up by the time I start which is not a lot compared to my friends who have 20-30k saved up. However, I’m comfortable with that

Reactions: 3 users
I will leave my job before vet school at about a month to 2 weeks depending on how i’m feeling around a certain point. I will have 10k saved from working this past year. I don’t do well with long breaks but I plan to take vacations while i’m still working to just relax.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked up to orientation before school. I knew that I wasn’t going to be doing anything better with that time.

My last day of work actually coincided with my birthday, so I had a fancier party at work. Also, I was working a decent public health job so the extra pay period was worth it.

I am not coming from undergrad, so my brain is not as fried as most entering students, but for the life of me I cannot decide when to leave work for the summer. I guess I am just indecisive, but it's hard for me to choose right now. Anyone else coming from a gap year/time off school?

I am not coming from undergrad, so my brain is not as fried as most entering students, but for the life of me I cannot decide when to leave work for the summer. I guess I am just indecisive, but it's hard for me to choose right now. Anyone else coming from a gap year/time off school?
I’m also coming off a gap year which was honestly the most beneficial thing I’ve done. I’m less anxious about starting school than i was last cycle.

I'm giving myself the month of July off to relax, move, and get adjusted before classes start on August 10th, but I'm going to be working full time in May and June to save up money.

I worked up until a few weeks from starting vet school but also switched to part time prior to that. Up to you. It’s very dependent on how you feel and if you need more of a break. I knew that if I took off earlier I would most likely be at least a little bored and it was nice to get a little more money.

I plan on working until probably a week or 2 right before I leave. I want to give myself a break but also not too long of one, mostly because I would have no one to hang out with except on the weekends since most of my friends are in tech and so work the regular M-F jobs, so I hope to be working M-F and have the weekends off for the entire summer.