Working while in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
During med school I worked up to three part-time jobs, all medically related: doing pre-op physicals for a CV surgery unit, pre-employment physicals for a large department store, and putting IVs in at night if the nurses couldn't get them (but mostly sleeping). I also got paid for participating in research projects. I graduated owing one semester's (state school) tuition worth of debt. To me being nearly debt-free and learning to do top-notch, speedy physcials was more important than staying in the top 10% of my class. You have to know your priorities before you make the decision to work.
Thanks for sharing that it's possible to offset some of the debt...I tried searching instead of creating my own post, hence commenting on something from 2006.

My first degreee was paid for thanks to scholarships/work and I hated taking out loans for nursing school. Loans were not horrendous at $25K and I paid those off as fast as I could. Life without debt. I realize medical school debt is inevitable but I've been toying with the idea of keeping my RN active and taking a per diem position. Usually they have a 12 hr/month minimum which works out to be $300-$400/month depending on the shift.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for sharing that it's possible to offset some of the debt...I tried searching instead of creating my own post, hence commenting on something from 2006.

My first degreee was paid for thanks to scholarships/work and I hated taking out loans for nursing school. Loans were not horrendous at $25K and I paid those off as fast as I could. Life without debt. I realize medical school debt is inevitable but I've been toying with the idea of keeping my RN active and taking a per diem position. Usually they have a 12 hr/month minimum which works out to be $300-$400/month depending on the shift.
Notices post was from 8 years ago...:whoa:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's what I get for having a ***** night on my unit. Searching for answers to random questions.
LOL. Yeah, overall not a good idea to work during medical school. Too much to lose with too little to gain.

LOL. Yeah, overall not a good idea to work during medical school. Too much to lose with too little to gain.
Yeah I figured that would be the consensus. Definitely just thinking about it. If I do work it really would be once a month on a Friday or Saturday night after tests. My heart isn't set on it but I was very curious if anybody worked. My sanity is more important than money.

Actually wait...I'm leaving a fairly cush career path to go to medical school. Now I'm questioning my sanity.

One thing to be aware of that's changed in more recent years, is that some med schools specifically prohibit their students from employment while matriculated. Keep an eye out for such restrictions. The summer after first year is fair game everywhere though.

I posted similar information on another thread in the last few months, which I'm surprised you didn't run across in your Search.

I've noticed there're far too many necrobumps lately, but it is a bit different when a long-ago poster is quoted and still around to comment.
Yeah, I don't get it either. That being said the quality of the threads started in the past were better in some ways, and not as good in other ways.

Yeah I figured that would be the consensus. Definitely just thinking about it. If I do work it really would be once a month on a Friday or Saturday night after tests. My heart isn't set on it but I was very curious if anybody worked. My sanity is more important than money.

Actually wait...I'm leaving a fairly cush career path to go to medical school. Now I'm questioning my sanity.
Why did not you try to do NP? I am/was a nurse well... Just curious.

I've noticed there're far too many necrobumps lately, but it is a bit different when a long-ago poster is quoted and still around to comment.

I wouldn't have commented on such an old thread had I not known @Catalystik was still posting on SDN. Some terms aren't as "search friendly" and seem generate strange results. Nonetheless I appreciate your response. I am leaning towards working a lot prior to matriculation and seeing how much I can save up for COL. I'm committed to one of my current jobs til the end of next flu season and then I have a good contract set up to make a lot of cash in short term gigs. I would prefer not to work in school.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did not you try to do NP? I am/was a nurse well... Just curious.
The NP role seems to still be "developing". I originally thought it was a good route that would let me care for patients and have the balanced lifestyle I wanted. Instead I find myself identifying more and more with the physicians. If I'm eventually going to be responsible for diagnosing and treating patients then I want to be trained by people who have been doing just that for centuries.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong posting in such an old forum now. Feel free to PM me. I've spent a lot of time thinking/discussing this.

Reactions: 1 users
During med school I worked up to three part-time jobs, all medically related: doing pre-op physicals for a CV surgery unit, pre-employment physicals for a large department store, and putting IVs in at night if the nurses couldn't get them (but mostly sleeping). I also got paid for participating in research projects. I graduated owing one semester's (state school) tuition worth of debt. To me being nearly debt-free and learning to do top-notch, speedy physcials was more important than staying in the top 10% of my class. You have to know your priorities before you make the decision to work.

goals