Working while in pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Is it possible to work while in pod school? I've heard a lot of people say to just take out extra loan money and use free time to study. However, I don't think that's a good plan. I would need to work because I have a family and have a lot of expenses to pay for us all, including rent and childcare when I'm in school. I know it's almost impossible to work full time, but is working 20 hours or so a week doable? I'd be working as a nurse assistant or patient care tech in a hospital. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

@ 20 hours a week you'd have to have an on campus job where you are able to study a little at work. At DMU, library and wellness center jobs allow you to do that.

We also have a handful of people that valet at a local country club. It's nice because you make pretty good $/hour when it's busy so you only work 1-2 shifts a week. But that only totals 6-12 hours.

Don't let people tell you that you can't work. Anybody on here who says you don't have 10-20 hours each week where you aren't studying is full of it. But realize that if you aren't a good student it will leave almost no time for your family.

Are they still doing that at Des Moines Golf & Country? That was a fun job. Are people still doing the Iowa Donor Network? I was a tech for them for a couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, still at dmgcc.

I haven't heard anything about Iowa Donor Network since I've been here, but maybe there are some 3rd years who still do it?

@ 20 hours a week you'd have to have an on campus job where you are able to study a little at work. At DMU, library and wellness center jobs allow you to do that.

We also have a handful of people that valet at a local country club. It's nice because you make pretty good $/hour when it's busy so you only work 1-2 shifts a week. But that only totals 6-12 hours.

Don't let people tell you that you can't work. Anybody on here who says you don't have 10-20 hours each week where you aren't studying is full of it. But realize that if you aren't a good student it will leave almost no time for your family.

Don't know if I 100% agree with that one dtrack. I think it really depends on your course load and which school you go to. If someone at Western worked 20 hours a week, they would fail out the first semester. Ya, you may have some hours during your week were you are not studying, but you do need time to unwind to avoid burnout. I've also had friends who attended other schools and they bragged about how much time they didn't need to study.

If you have a family, definitely don't work. You will never see your family. Any small amount of time I have to spend with my kids/wife far outweighs the extra loans I am taking out!

darazon said:
If you have a family, definitely don't work

Just don't go to Western. I'm not surprised you don't agree, you guys have more scheduled class/lecture time than any other program. We'll see how it's paid off this summer...

Even with 40 hours of class per week, 10 hours per week at $10 bucks an hour (for an average library, TA, etc. type job) is an extra $400 every month. That is certainly doable in terms of workload and would pay for diapers...

Don't know if I 100% agree with that one dtrack. I think it really depends on your course load and which school you go to. If someone at Western worked 20 hours a week, they would fail out the first semester. Ya, you may have some hours during your week were you are not studying, but you do need time to unwind to avoid burnout. I've also had friends who attended other schools and they bragged about how much time they didn't need to study.

If you have a family, definitely don't work. You will never see your family. Any small amount of time I have to spend with my kids/wife far outweighs the extra loans I am taking out!

I think dtrack is talking more about work study stuff around the university which is way different then having a "regular" job. In Des Moines, the country club is awesome because you valet for dinners and events. There are a couple busy periods and then you have time to study in between. And then of course work study speaks for itself. DMU has a pretty brutal course load and I had plently of friends that did odd job stuff but holding a regular job would be near impossible. I was a tech for Iowa Donor Network and when somone passed away and met the criteria, we would harvest bone, soft tissue, heart for valves, veins, etc. I would take 4-5 days a month of call (all working around my schedule). One call would equal 300-400 dollars. I think odd stuff like that is possible at any school. But it's hard to find and usually competitive to get.

I don't know if you've ever worked as a nurse assistant before, but in case you haven't, let me tell you that it's an extremely exhausting job. after working an 8 hour shift, i would just want to lay in bed all day because i'd be mentally and physically so tired. i would think that most hospitals/nursing homes don't allow anything but an 8 hour shift for a patient care tech/CNA type job. some even do 12 hours, regardless if you're part time or full time. and there's definitely no down time, ever. not that i've experienced. the only job i can picture doing in pod school is a work study job. at my school, people work the security desk of the academic building or man the gym. something where you can study during your hours.

I work in a research lab... run tests and study in between. I only put in 10-15 hrs/week but its better than nothing... I get paid to study.

Hello. Is it possible to work while in pod school? I've heard a lot of people say to just take out extra loan money and use free time to study. However, I don't think that's a good plan. I would need to work because I have a family and have a lot of expenses to pay for us all, including rent and childcare when I'm in school. I know it's almost impossible to work full time, but is working 20 hours or so a week doable? I'd be working as a nurse assistant or patient care tech in a hospital. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

It all depends on how smart you are. Do you care about how well you do in school? class ranking?

Okay, thanks for the responses. I don't care about class rankings. I would if I were single, but since I have a husband and soon-to-be toddler at home, I just want to do well. I would really like to attend the January program at NYCPM. I think this would give me more time to work and spend with family too, since I'd be taking fewer classes at a time. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom, but I used to work with patients in the hospital during undergrad. I was interested in doing something similar to this, such as nurse assistant. But from what I'm reading, it seems that the best job to do would be working at a research lab, library, or a place where I'd be sitting at a desk all day. Thanks.

Why not put off school for a year and save everything you make? Even if you make 20k, that's as way more than you would make working part time for the 2 (maybe 3) years of school. Then maybe you could actually do well in school AND enjoy your life.

Okay, thanks for the responses. I don't care about class rankings. I would if I were single, but since I have a husband and soon-to-be toddler at home, I just want to do well. I would really like to attend the January program at NYCPM. I think this would give me more time to work and spend with family too, since I'd be taking fewer classes at a time. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom, but I used to work with patients in the hospital during undergrad. I was interested in doing something similar to this, such as nurse assistant. But from what I'm reading, it seems that the best job to do would be working at a research lab, library, or a place where I'd be sitting at a desk all day. Thanks.

Yea, but in my experience, eventually the job has to go. Once rotations and externships start and you're traveling and have no set schedule, it becomes too difficult to do. I had those "odd jobs" I discussed above until I got into the heart of rotations. This is especially the case while externing. Grades and academics are one thing. While many factors play into a residency, one of the most important things (if not the most important thing) as a rotating student is making a positive and memorable impression. You want to be able to give everything to the rotation, especially if you want the program. Having a job at that point becomes counter-productive.

DRCM, I'm in the January program at NYCPM, for many of the reasons you think you'd like it. It allowed me much more time to spend with my spouse and newborn son. I can't say you'd have much time to work though. You could probably pull off an on campus (work-study) job, or something on the weekends, but working, and school, and family life may be pushing it.
Another thought is that the January program is only the first two semesters stretched to three. I'm entering the second year soon, and I'll have the same schedule as everyone else (27 units). So continuing to pass your classes with a job and family... I don't know.
Last thought: don't discount class ranking. Sure, we don't need to all be in the top 5%, but I know for a fact (shadowing) that there are some residencies that don't even look at you unless you are in the top half, and I've heard there are some that want you in the top third. Being a person with a family, you might need the ranking to be able to be more choosy in getting a spot. You don't want to have to uproot your family just because you could only get into a residency that's several states away...
Good luck, whatever you decide!

What does your GPA need to be to be in the top third vs top half?

What does your GPA need to be to be in the top third vs top half?

It would depend on your class. I don't know that there is a particular number, though there is probably an average range. That's why they consider GPA AND Class ranking, not just one or the other. If the majority of your class is getting a 3.7 GPA, and you are getting a 3.3 your class ranking is probably not that high. However, if your class is averaging a 2.5 and you are at a 3.3 then you are probably near the top. It will vary school to school and year to year.

At my school we don't find out our ranking until near the end (which I like). However, you can (roughly) assess your standing based on how many make the Dean's list each year and how close you are to that number. That's the easiest way I know of.

Dudette, just go for the HPSP scholarship and pay uncle sam back with Time rather than money if family time, grades, and money is that inportant. Don't stress too much while in school, you may miss a key detail that may prevent you from being a lawsuit. Go to school, learn, eat the loans or take the military option. No need to work 20 hrs a week +balance family life +get good grades. You will look like you are 60 by time you turn 40. Take the route that will stress you the least. -->HPSP!

All I can say is that if I were to work 20 hrs/wk then I would fail out. While I may not spend every waking hour studying, I need time for myself and for my wife. If you can do it, then more power to you.