Working while on vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainerMaria

Most days and
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as a sort of informal poll how many people "do work" during vacation/weekends - and if so do you check EHR inbox once a day, multiple times per day, etc? I am trying to figure out my own balance. For those who disconnect completely, how do you deal with situations for, where example, a pt is admitted and needs your input for goals of care discussion, etc? Or do you not check the inbox at all and have your partners call you in these scenarios?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m just a fellow but I think my goal would be to check out and have my partners call me for scenarios they feel I should / would want to be involved in. I have typically turned off EMR/app/work e-mail alerts on my phone when going on vacation.

That’s how my fellowship department handles their private patients when an attending is out.

One time I did check my email on vacation trying to be a good fellow and discovered I had a ridiculous family complain about me and random hospital PR person wanting “my side of the story.” The whole situation of course turned out to be nothing and only made me frustrated, you better believe I don’t check my email on trips anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious as a sort of informal poll how many people "do work" during vacation/weekends - and if so do you check EHR inbox once a day, multiple times per day, etc? I am trying to figure out my own balance. For those who disconnect completely, how do you deal with situations for, where example, a pt is admitted and needs your input for goals of care discussion, etc? Or do you not check the inbox at all and have your partners call you in these scenarios?
Only healthy to unplug. I clear my inbox on Friday and look again on Monday. We have a partnership where we really don’t call each other ever on call. We are all capable of handling any situation that arises. I don’t mind if someone calls me but we all try to refrain.

Work in an academic setting where we have an "always on" hustle culture that I am finding is degrading work/life balance / QOL. I don't mind working hard / hustling when needed but it's been years here and I literally think I've been checking inbox multiple times per day 365 days a year. Thanksgiving, vacation, weekends - the pressure is to be available. Folks tell me I will work more in PP or community but I think mentally the load will be less.

Reactions: 1 user
Work in an academic setting where we have an "always on" hustle culture that I am finding is degrading work/life balance / QOL. I don't mind working hard / hustling when needed but it's been years here and I literally think I've been checking inbox multiple times per day 365 days a year. Thanksgiving, vacation, weekends - the pressure is to be available. Folks tell me I will work more in PP or community but I think mentally the load will be less.
I think you need to go camping or something. Some place with "no cell reception". Turn off the phone/laptop for a day/weekend. Healthy experiment.

Reactions: 3 users
Is that true? Hard to imagine…

Is that true? Hard to imagine…
It’s a choice for me but as an academic leukemia doc with inpatient only practice im never truly off. New leuk at 3am, APL differentiating at midnight, calling families at 7pm, writing notes after the kids fall asleep. 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year. Even when on vacation I feel it’s important to be accessible, I join meetings if I’m able and respond to emails. This might be a recipe for burnout in the long run (starting my 4th year of practice) but for now this works. It’s not necessarily an expectation but I feel that in the choice to pursue leukemia as a career, this type “always on” culture is “rewarded” with positive reinforcement. Unsure if it’s right or wrong but I love my job, have a ton of flexibility for personal things (ie a recital for my daughter, taking a day off on short notice etc) and as I said above, for now works well for me.

This might sound miserable to some but it helps that I’m fairly compensated due to our bonus program (and the fact that the above practice of seeing 20-25 pts/day is highly wRVU generating…)

Last edited: