Would you continue working if you won the lottery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasMed22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was talking to an orthopod recently, he had been involved in the development of a medical device and receives a massive check every year from royalties for it. He no longer needs to work to live comfortably. But he continues to work a ton, see patients, and operate all day, because he absolutely loves his job and loves helping his patients. Was curious if onc folks on here feel the same way about their work?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve thought about this and I might work part time at the VA or in a state with no medmal liability.

The medical device racket sounds like a good game to be playing. I also don’t know the ins and outs of that business but there could be a component of the more he works -> uses his own device -> generates that royalty check

Last edited:
I’ve thought about this and I might work part time at the VA or in a state with no medmal liability.

The medical device racket sounds like a good game to be playing. I also don’t know the ins and outs of that business but there could be a component of the more he works -> uses his own device -> generates that royalty check
I think he'd have to be a phenomenally busy surgeon to measurably impact his royalty check on his own...he'd move the needle more going out and pimping for it in the community.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was talking to an orthopod recently, he had been involved in the development of a medical device and receives a massive check every year from royalties for it. He no longer needs to work to live comfortably. But he continues to work a ton, see patients, and operate all day, because he absolutely loves his job and loves helping his patients. Was curious if onc folks on here feel the same way about their work?
I would. I'd work less for sure, but I love my job and I'm not ready to walk away from clinical medicine at this point. I'm old enough that I'm starting to consider what retirement looks like for me and I'm fairly certain that I want to dial back over time rather than stop completely on a certain day. That opinion may change over time, but for now I see myself walking away over a 5+ year time period rather than on a random Tuesday.

Just a fellow.

Assuming you refer to an after-tax sum of $100 mil+, probably not, because it's not worth the liability at that point. But I would like to teach, as I do love medicine, and this specialty in particular.

Something like 10-20 mil? Would work 2-3 days a month.

Just a fellow.

Assuming you refer to an after-tax sum of $100 mil+, probably not, because it's not worth the liability at that point. But I would like to teach, as I do love medicine, and this specialty in particular.

Something like 10-20 mil? Would work 2-3 days a month.

Good point.

I would probably keep working if I received a windfall, but the liability is definitely an issue. I would adjust the day so as to make it more sustainable and enjoyable. Fewer patients and longer visits. Dump the PITA patients I don’t want to deal with. See only a “curated” panel of exactly the kind of patients I want to be seeing, and turn away the rest. Work maybe 2-3 days a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user