Working while studying in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porkchop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone..hope those who are currently in Ireland can help!was wondering if it is manageable for a first or second year medical student to hold a part time job (20hrs) during the semester? Will working that amount of hours a week leave enough time for studying and relaxation?? What is the normal hourly pay like..and what about tax?

I was considering holding a part-time job while studying..perhaps in a hospital (what can a first -year med student possibly work as in a hospital?), but am curious to know whether it's feasible to balance both work and study... any help? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi there,

i can only speak for msyelf and the UCD curriculum; in my opinion it is very easy to have a job here. i tried ot find one in first year but was unsuccessful. last year i got a job in the conrad hotel on earlsfort terrace as a banqueting waiter...i'd say 80% of the banqueting staff are UCD med students (because the hotel is right across the street from the school of medicine). they pay well and are flexible. as i'm non-eu i can only work 20hrs per week...this has not hindered my studies at all. i should qualify that though. when i did my undergrad back home it was a LOT more work and more hectic than anything i've encountered in med school thus far. if i was legally allowed i'd work 30 or 40 hours. it really wouldn't be a problem. i juststarted in the hospital a few weeks ago so i've had to turn down a few shifts but there are people in final med who work up to 2 months before their finals. the job is pretty flexible, they understand that we are busy. i'm not sure if all places are like this. as far as tax goes, you won't make enough as a student ot even hit the tax cutoff so you odn't have to woryr abouti t. as long as you ahve a pps number and register with the tax office you'll be fine...good luck.

Badkarma25 said:
hi there,

i can only speak for msyelf and the UCD curriculum; in my opinion it is very easy to have a job here. i tried ot find one in first year but was unsuccessful. last year i got a job in the conrad hotel on earlsfort terrace as a banqueting waiter...i'd say 80% of the banqueting staff are UCD med students (because the hotel is right across the street from the school of medicine). they pay well and are flexible. as i'm non-eu i can only work 20hrs per week...this has not hindered my studies at all. i should qualify that though. when i did my undergrad back home it was a LOT more work and more hectic than anything i've encountered in med school thus far. if i was legally allowed i'd work 30 or 40 hours. it really wouldn't be a problem. i juststarted in the hospital a few weeks ago so i've had to turn down a few shifts but there are people in final med who work up to 2 months before their finals. the job is pretty flexible, they understand that we are busy. i'm not sure if all places are like this. as far as tax goes, you won't make enough as a student ot even hit the tax cutoff so you odn't have to woryr abouti t. as long as you ahve a pps number and register with the tax office you'll be fine...good luck.

Hi Badkarma, thanks for the reply.. What job are you doing in the hospital? I read something about students being morgue attendants in another thread (can't remember which). How did you go about applying? I heard of someone who's doing a runner (??? nursing assistant, i think) job at a hospital earning €10/hr and that's pretty good pay, not sure if he's taxed on that though since it's pretty high pay? Anyway, thanks for your help!

don't work in a hospital. as i stated above i work in a hotel, where i am a banqueting waiter. average 12 euros an hour plus tips and they feed you, so all in all it's better than any hospital job. i only know of 1 person in my class who has a job in the hospital as a ward clerk which consists of him answering the phone...not really all that interesting. plus dealing with all the drunk *****s who come to dinners and get wasted, i'm developing more valuable skills for medicine than being a mortuary attendant. i looked high and low for hospital jobs. i think the bottom line there is you have to know someone.