Working with a PhD = Vet experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesoup

Tufts V15
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools count work under a PhD as "veterinary experience"? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

On the VMCAS application it specifies vet experience as working directly with "a veterinarian or professional" or something like that (I can't log onto it to get the exact wording for some reason). So IMO yes, that means working with a PhD counts as veterinary experience.

That said, I worked a lot under my college professor who has a PhD in farm animal repro, doing veterinary-related horse things (sometimes even vet procedures) and I did NOT list it as vet experience. It just didn't seem right to me.

At my current job I do research under a PhD scientist that involves animals, but is not "veterinary" per say. I carefully read the VMCAS instructions, and based on those it applies so I called it Veterinary. I did not however call my other research jobs in which animal work was not integral to the research (just periferal) veterinary. I figured VMCAS knows what they want, so I just tried to follow the instructions as accurately as possible. I think I got in largely based on the stregth of my research experience, so I don't imagine it was looked down upon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same, if it was in the animal field (behavior, physio, pharm) I listed it under vet med. I didn't list my research in novel methods of old forest deforestation though...and in one case, even though I did work heavily with veterinarians, because it was a variety of vets in a variety of countries, and my over arching focus was conservation research (kind of how helping conservation helps society) I did NOT list it as vet, though it played a really prominant place in my PS.

Hm, I talked with a pre-vet advisor at UC Davis today, and she said that research will only be counted as "vet experience" if it's under a DVM-PhD.. I'm confused!!

Hm, I talked with a pre-vet advisor at UC Davis today, and she said that research will only be counted as "vet experience" if it's under a DVM-PhD.. I'm confused!!

That may be what UC Davis says, but I say for VMCAS, follow VMCAS's rules. UC Davis cannot count that against you. At most, they can reallocate your hours if they see fit. I cannot imagine they will.

Apparently, according to Electrophile, Mizzou also tells people not to put animal/vet related research under PhD scientists under vet experience. But there again I'd ignore them and go with VMCAS.

For me, this is the one area to ignore the individual schools. They've all bought into VMCAS, so VMCAS's rules should apply specifically for that common app. There's no other sensible way to approach it, IMO.

That may be what UC Davis says, but I say for VMCAS, follow VMCAS's rules. UC Davis cannot count that against you. At most, they can reallocate your hours if they see fit. I cannot imagine they will.

Apparently, according to Electrophile, Mizzou also tells people not to put animal/vet related research under PhD scientists under vet experience. But there again I'd ignore them and go with VMCAS.

For me, this is the one area to ignore the individual schools. They've all bought into VMCAS, so VMCAS's rules should apply specifically for that common app. There's no other sensible way to approach it, IMO.

Hmm, I see. I'm trying to decide whether I should go for clinical vs. research experience over the summer, and I just don't know whether UC Davis (my first choice! IS, as well) will value clinical veterinary experience more than research veterinary experience. As of now, I don't have any clinical experience... Any ideas?

Hmm, I see. I'm trying to decide whether I should go for clinical vs. research experience over the summer, and I just don't know whether UC Davis (my first choice! IS, as well) will value clinical veterinary experience more than research veterinary experience. As of now, I don't have any clinical experience... Any ideas?

I think you should get clinical experience. If you have none and you already have research, that's a reason to go clinical (expand the diversity of your experiences). If there's a question whether UCD will count research as vet, that's another reason to go clinical.

I don't think you should totally ignore the info UCD gave you...that seems like a bad idea. So do figure that they might not count your research as vet experience. I just don't think you should listen to what they've told you about VMCAS that specifically contradicts what VMCAS says. That said, you absolutely cannot get into vet school without vet experience, and if there's a chance UCD won't count what you've got as vet experience, you've got to get some that is guaranteed to count.

I'm sure someone's going to misread my post, but whatever. I can clarify and defend my statements as necessary, I guess.

I think the thing to keep in mind is the purpose of your experience. Remember that the schools are looking to see that you have a realistic idea of what is involved in veterinary medicine.

It is probably important that you get at least a bit of experience in both areas, but I think it is most important that your primary experience align with your primary interests. If you think you may want to go into research, do the reserach option. If clinical, do that.

I had less then 200 hours of clincal experience when I applied, and more that 8000 hours of research, but I made a significant effort in my essay to explain why I knew what both aspects of veterinary medicine entail.

Good luck!

I had less then 200 hours of clincal experience when I applied, and more that 8000 hours of research, but I made a significant effort in my essay to explain why I knew what both aspects of veterinary medicine entail.

The OP said that as of right now they have zero clinical experience, though, and UCD indicated they might not count research as vet experience (which is insane to me, but the OP said it came straight from UCD admissions people).

So it sounds like the OP really does need to get some clinical experience. It would be awful to have their app thrown out if UCD really did follow through with what they've said and did not count research under a PhD scientist as vet experience. Because they require a minimum of 180 hours of vet experience at time of application.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/subpages/basic_requirements.html

The OP said that as of right now they have zero clinical experience, though, and UCD indicated they might not count research as vet experience (which is insane to me, but the OP said it came straight from UCD admissions people).

So it sounds like the OP really does need to get some clinical experience. It would be awful to have their app thrown out if UCD really did follow through with what they've said and did not count research under a PhD scientist as vet experience. Because they require a minimum of 180 hours of vet experience at time of application.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/subpages/basic_requirements.html

I think this makes sense. I'd also really like the research experience, but I don't know if that's what I want to focus on in the future. Honestly, I think my problem is that I started this whole process a bit late and don't have much of a foundation on which I can make a solid decision confidently. I have a few hours left before I have to tell the research program what my plans will be for the summer..

I wish I could take a couple years or so off before I apply to schools so I can do everything I want to do!!!! haha :) Thanks for the advice, guys!!

I wish I could take a couple years or so off before I apply to schools so I can do everything I want to do!!!! haha :) Thanks for the advice, guys!!

This seems to have been said in jest, and obviously what you do in the short term and long term is completely up to you. That being said, you CAN take additional years before vet school. Only you can decide if you ought to, if it would be the right decision for you, etc. But if you're considering it at all, it's probably worth actually exploring it as an option. Many students are non-traditionals, myself included.

Just something else to think about when weighing your options. :)

This seems to have been said in jest, and obviously what you do in the short term and long term is completely up to you. That being said, you CAN take additional years before vet school. Only you can decide if you ought to, if it would be the right decision for you, etc. But if you're considering it at all, it's probably worth actually exploring it as an option. Many students are non-traditionals, myself included.

Just something else to think about when weighing your options. :)

I would actually love to take a couple of years off to gain more perspective/experience in the clinical field, but my parents are strongly against me doing so because they're so used to the idea of the traditional applicant who matriculates right after graduation from UG :/ I know it's ultimately my decision, but my family's really close-knit and I hate being the voice of dissent... Perhaps I can convince them otherwise in the next year or so if I feel it's necessary :)

I would actually love to take a couple of years off to gain more perspective/experience in the clinical field, but my parents are strongly against me doing so because they're so used to the idea of the traditional applicant who matriculates right after graduation from UG :/ I know it's ultimately my decision and all, but my family's really close-knit and I hate being the voice of dissent.. Perhaps I can convince them otherwise in the next year or so :)

There have been lots of threads on this. From reading about oodles and oodles of people's experiences with their parents (and having my own experiences), almost no one's parents seem to be for the non-traditional route. They worry that you won't make it back to school. That it's wasting time. Etc. etc. etc. Of course you have to make your own decisions, but I would suggest you at least think somewhat about what you want outside of the context of what your family wants.

Of course, you'll continue to gain experience (not to mention having tons of additional opportunities open to you) in vet school. So maybe just wanting to experience neat things is not enough of a reason to consider delaying applying. But there are good reasons, and it's worth asking whether you might have them.

(Also, FWIW, after congratulating me on being accepted to UCD, my father said, "well, fantastic, now you can put the last 5 years behind you," as if I'd been in rehab since undergrad rather than living life and gaining experiences that put me on a vet med path I likely never would have ended up on otherwise. Also, I made connections during those five years that I honestly feel are helping me achieve things I never could have otherwise. Still, in his eyes, it was a wasted 5 years. *shrug*)

(Also, FWIW, after congratulating me on being accepted to UCD, my father said, "well, fantastic, now you can put the last 5 years behind you," as if I'd been in rehab since undergrad rather than living life and gaining experiences that put me on a vet med path I likely never would have ended up on otherwise. Also, I made connections during those five years that I honestly feel are helping me achieve things I never could have otherwise. Still, in his eyes, it was a wasted 5 years. *shrug*)
Ouch! :eek: My parents were supportive of my year off, and I'm very glad I decided to take a year off. I worked my rear off, made friends and connections, and got an awesome job that I still work at on the weekends, which I never would have ended up with otherwise.

Smilesoup, what would be your goals for your time off -- what would you hope to accomplish and do?

For this summer, I agree, you should get some clinical experience.