Working With a Suboptimal Rotation Schedule for Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cath Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in EM. I am a second year.

I believe I got unlucky with my rotation schedule. Those of you who know more about this than me- what is the best way forward given the schedule below?

I am very hesitant to want to do an audition rotation in EM before internal medicine rotations in 3rd year (where I assume you learn a lot of common complaints that relate to EM) but that appears to be my best shot. My only maybe well-placed audition would be in August of 4th year. I assume the orange highlighted rotations are too late.

I know that having 2-3 SLOEs by the time interview season of 4th year rolls around is good (does that start in October-ish?).

Thank you for any info!

@gamerEMdoc I would LOVE to know your thoughts on this. Your posts have taught me ...most of what I know about EM applications and the process in general. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there any flexibility in moving these rotations around? If not then it looks like you only have one option, get your SLOE in your current elective spots. I'm not terribly familiar with EM but applications are due sept 15th so you should have them in by that date to maximize your chances

If I’m reading this correctly, you have 2 EM blocks in the spring of 4th year? That won’t work. You need a SLOE from you home institution by early fall. If you’re serious about EM you need to talk to your student affairs office or Dean about redoing your schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you choose IM for your elective from 6/29 - 7/24 and then do EM/audition for your elective from 1/11 - 2/5?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any flexibility in moving these rotations around? If not then it looks like you only have one option, get your SLOE in your current elective spots. I'm not terribly familiar with EM but applications are due sept 15th so you should have them in by that date to maximize your chances
The schedule here is set, but I am trying to get another schedule more favorable to EM (there's no telling if I'll get it). Issue is that my school's admin does not care about what I pursue, only that I match. Thank you for the 9/15 date- I didn't know that.

If I’m reading this correctly, you have 2 EM blocks in the spring of 4th year? That won’t work. You need a SLOE from you home institution by early fall. If you’re serious about EM you need to talk to your student affairs office or Dean about redoing your schedule.
You read that correctly, and yes it is terrible. I am talking with my institution, but you find me making this thread because they're not huge on exceptions.

Can't you choose IM for your elective from 6/29 - 7/24 and then do EM/audition for your elective from 1/11 - 2/5?
This is an idea I had somehow not considered, thank you for the suggestion. If the school grants me no change I will definitely do this!

Reactions: 1 user