Working with autism as a Psy.D./Ph.D.? Cold feet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattyo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I will be starting a Psy.D. program this fall.

For the last year and a half I have been working at a school for children with autism. I have absolutely loved getting to know the kids. I have also seen the children develop new skills and grow, but I don't have a particular passion for teaching, especially within the realm of ABA(very repetitive).

At the same time, as I said, I have absolutely loved working with the kids. My last day was yesterday, and saying goodbye to the kid I have worked most closely with was one of the most difficult things that I have ever had to do. We have formed such a bond, and it broke my heart to say goodbye.

I have found myself at odds with the school's ABA-based approach, and I realize that it's because the school is trying to teach these kids to be as "normal" as possible. Really, my passion and interest is in trying to make these kids see themselves as whole individuals, and not particularly in trying to make them be more normal.

So I'm torn. I absolutely loved working with him and the other children I have come in contact with....most of whom who were nonverbal. At the same time I have a passion for psychotherapy. Is there potential to work with lower-functioning children/adults with autism as a psychologist? This might be difficult given their lack of language. It would be sad if I had to be in the special education field to work with children similar to those that I have encountered.

Anyway, any input/experiences/etc. would be very helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm torn. I absolutely loved working with him and the other children I have come in contact with....most of whom who were nonverbal. At the same time I have a passion for psychotherapy. Is there potential to work with lower-functioning children/adults with autism as a psychologist? This might be difficult given their lack of language. It would be sad if I had to be in the special education field to work with children similar to those that I have encountered.

Anyway, any input/experiences/etc. would be very helpful. Thank you.

ABA can be a very effective skill to learn, though there are a number of other skills you can pick up during your doctoral training that will serve you well if you want to work with patients along the spectrum. There should be work out there for lower-functioning patients, though you'll have to find the right setup because often the day to day therapy work is handled by ABA therapists (not psychologists).

Also, I have a few friends who started out in the field doing what you're doing. They expressed similar views to you -- feeling that ABA was a useful approach but also limiting. One of my friends has branched off into other child populations. The other friend still does some ABA, but she is in a more supervisory role now and also does therapy (group and individual) with family members of autistic children, which she enjoys.

As T4c said, once you get into your graduate training you will be exposed to a wide number of theoretical perspectives and interventions. It's to be expected that your interests may shift a bit, which is perfectly okay.