Working with the MDs...how's that going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member6523

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Internship has been my first real exposure to other medical professionals and it's been pretty good so far. The neurologists in particular seem to value what we have to offer, though that may be because I'm in neuropsychology and so we are often called up for differential diagnoses and evaluating functional outcome, etc.

The psychiatry residents have also been surprisingly civil. The ones I've worked with have bonded over jokes that other MDs don't really know what any of us mental health "quacks" do,

Minimal contact with other residents/specialties, but it seems like everyone here is respectful of each others' professions. Of course, I haven't accidentally tripped into a sociopathic neurosurgeon yet, so maybe I've just been lucky. That said, how have everyone else's experiences been?

Personally, it's funny for me...PhD clinical psychologists kind of enjoy being "top dog" of our little mental health bubble, but once in the wide world of medicine, I can see that bubble can be easily popped.

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked in a few different settings (inpatient rehab, HIV clinic, inpatient medical and organ transplant, outpatient medical and organ transplant) with various types of physicians (neurologists, PM&R docs, kidney/liver transplant surgeons and nephrologists, internists, and psychiatrists), and have yet to not be treated respectfully and courteously, and to have my professional opinion valued. There have been varying levels of integration of psychology into the rotations/settings, and our opinion was at times more- or less-actively sought and more- or less-heavily weighted (although never ignored), but I've yet to see outright derision or anything similar on either side (physician/psychologist). After all, at the end of the day, as cliche as it sounds, we really are all there to help the patients.

Edit: And to answer the above, the nurses have been great as well. Always, always be nice to the nurses.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would echo AAs comments. It seems that as long as our reports/consults are concise, to the point, and timely, our role is highly valued.

No issues with nurses either. Though I'd say the people you most have to be mindful around are the receptionists! Seriously, receptionists can make or break your day...

And the psychometrists. God bless the psychometrists.

No issues with nurses either. Though I'd say the people you most have to be mindful around are the receptionists! Seriously, receptionists can make or break your day...

And the psychometrists. God bless the psychometrists.

:thumbup:

Except the psychometrists part. I only say that because I have never used one.

Always be respectful! Nurses, nutritionists, social workers, NP's, CNA's, MA's, PA's, pharmacists, OT's, PT's, MT's, RT's, financial counselors, chaplains, volunteer coordinators, techs, risk management, security, receptionists, medical records, housekeeping, administration... and of course, your fellow psychology colleagues. :)

I have worked in a variety of settings (hospital out-pt/in-pt, residential, VA, etc) and I have rarely run into an issue. A random 30+ yr [fill in mid-level position or staffer] may get prickly because they obviously know better than the team lead or some snot nosed kid who wasn't born when they first got licensed ( :laugh: ), but those are more personality than professional differences. Common courtesy goes a long way.

I have been told about a random medical student here or there who get quite full of themselves and views anyone who isn't a physician as 2nd class, but they are quickly beaten down by senior staff. I just laugh, as those same students are the ones who want to be your best friend once they realize you may impact their review. :laugh: Do good work and your colleagues (and others) should treat you well.

When I was on my internship and postdoc, the medical residents were really nice and were a good peer group. I still am friends with some of them.

I'd say the opportunities for bonding may vary by specialty. I got along great with physiatrists and psychiatrists. Relationships with neurosurgery and neurology residents were a little more distant, but still collegial. I think if you are good at communicating what you know a lot about, and know the limits and how to ask questions of what you don't know about, you can have good interactions.

It helps when you are integrated into training in a formal way somewhow. On internship we made formal presentations as a part of the same series as the medical residents. On postdoc, I actually taught some of their courses, which was a little strange but never problematic.

I think some of your interface with physicians has to do with how much you reach out for relationships. some psychologists have a tendency to 'turtle" and have an "us vs. them" attitude (or physician envy). If you don''t act that way, you probably won't get treated that way.