Working with VA hospital, Loan refinance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus Snape

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to consolidate my federal loans with SoFi. But if I start working with VA hospital, they do loan forgiveness. I was wondering if VA may reject SoFi loans. Anyone gone through similar process?

Members don't see this ad.

Last I saw, the loans had to be federal. I was under the impression that once you refi under SoFi, they change status and are no longer eligible. Haven't checked the rules in years, so if anyone is doing this now, please correct.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that it is any school related debt, you have to show proof you have debt (doesn't matter which institution) and that you've been paying on it for that entire year before you see any more returned back to you through EDRP. So in effect, it's not a very good deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get that EDRP offer in your contract before you start.

There is not enough EDRP funding for all those who desire it in all regions of the VA. Some places have limited it to those taking jobs at CBOCs (remote clinics) or other hard-to-fill slots. Before you take a job at the VA, if EDRP is a driver for you, make sure you get it in your offer letter.

Reactions: 1 users
I refinanced my loans privately and was told they were not eligible for VA repayment when I considered working there