Worried about clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris Benoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Reading a lot of the threads here, it seems like people always say that things like clinical experience can trump mediocre GPA and MCAT scores when admission time rolls around.

I have a 4.0 and a 41T, but my clinical experience is shady (I'll probably have around 100 hours of hospital volunteering by the time of application). I have always been more into research (I'm deciding between MD and MD/PhD), so my research experience is very strong. I also have very strong extracurrics, but my clinical experience is really lacking [compared to what I see around here].

Can my numbers save me when it comes to top schools (Harvard, UCSF)?

Thanks.

Note: I'm posting this here because lately I've been leaning more towards straight MD than MD/PhD

Members don't see this ad.

wow, it's so hard to be you. i can see why you can't sleep at night. :rolleyes:

editing to say that i'm a b&tch, but i can't believe you're honestly stressing.

It's a legitimate concern when everyone (especially on this forum) says that clinical experiences and related things often trump numbers. I've seen or heard many share anecdotes related to someone in my position being passed over.
exlawgrrl said:
wow, it's so hard to be you. i can see why you can't sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's for people who don't have stellar numbers. Take a Valium and relax you gunner.

A 4.0 and a 41T. Woah, I'm promoting you to "sniper". ;)

Chris Benoit said:
Hey,

Reading a lot of the threads here, it seems like people always say that things like clinical experience can trump mediocre GPA and MCAT scores when admission time rolls around.

I have a 4.0 and a 41T, but my clinical experience is shady (I'll probably have around 100 hours of hospital volunteering by the time of application). I have always been more into research (I'm deciding between MD and MD/PhD), so my research experience is very strong. I also have very strong extracurrics, but my clinical experience is really lacking [compared to what I see around here].

Thanks.

Note: I'm posting this here because lately I've been leaning more towards straight MD than MD/PhD

100 hours of hospital volunteering is enough, that's probably more than some people have. Clinical experience is really valuable in rounding out your education, but I don't think it can really trump numbers--it shows that you understand the medical experience somewhat, but it doesn't take a whole lot of brain power and competence to volunteer in a hospital (depending on what role you play, but the average volunteer probably doesn't do glamorous things). Whereas your particular scores show that you have a great amount of intelligence to take on a medical education.

Besides, top schools stay "on top" of rankings because of their numbers. When you feed their averages, that makes them happy.

Yeah, you have nothing to worry about. I think what people mean when they discuss the importance of clinical experience is that it is pretty hard to get into any school without at least a little, and that a crapload (including starting/directing an organization, working in a hospital, etc) will get you into top schools in the absence of good research or slightly lower numbers.

You will probably have your choice of schools with what you have going for you. If you are feeling shaky on your clinical work, just make sure you have good answers for clinical related questions they might ask you in interviews.

Praetorian said:
That's for people who don't have stellar numbers. Take a Valium and relax you gunner.

Well, let's not forget about Wiggy... :smuggrin:

More clinical experience certainly can't hurt. Do what you have time for, but don't drive yourself nuts.

P.S. Do you have strong leadership or community service experience? If so, you have even less to worry about.

Just don't take the application process for granted. Some top schools are just concerned with numbers, but others are not. Harvard has their pick of top candidates with stellar MCATs. Make sure a variety of things stand out in your application and don't obsess about a single aspect in which you are average rather than superior.

Chris Benoit said:
Hey,

Thanks.

honey, i think you need to stop stressing.the point is that you have everything else but clinicals so what i would suggest is that you should just make sure you think up a good reason why you still want a MD even though you have not been in a hospital much plus i hope you applied to research institutions cos they will love you.
good luck and keep us posted

temmie said:
honey, i think you need to stop stressing.the point is that you have everything else but clinicals so what i would suggest is that you should just make sure you think up a good reason why you still want a MD even though you have not been in a hospital much plus i hope you applied to research institutions cos they will love you.
good luck and keep us posted

just look at the top 20 schools average scores, and that'll answer your question

Big congrats on your stats, but as for your question, I think you have nothing to worry about, especially since you do have clinical experience and a significant amount. Not sure about Harvard or UCSF in particular, but I can't see you having too much trouble getting into a top 10. Good luck.

What's stopping you from getting more clinical experience? You've identified a weakness on your application, now address it.
If you want to engage in some questionable tactics, get into an MD/PhD program and then drop the PhD part. I've seen people do it before. Rules at schools vary - some let you do this, some don't, some make you pay for the first 2 years of your MD education - but you could do that and I'm sure you'd have no problem getting into an MD/PhD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris Benoit said:
It's a legitimate concern when everyone (especially on this forum) says that clinical experiences and related things often trump numbers. I've seen or heard many share anecdotes related to someone in my position being passed over.

You have 100 hrs and excellent stats........chill out.

Alright, thanks guys.

Yeah -- I guess I should stop sitting around and b*tching and just get some more experience if I think it's a weakness, right?

I do have leadership experience, so clinical is the last chunk missing -- I'll work on it :)

Chris Benoit said:
Alright, thanks guys.

Yeah -- I guess I should stop sitting around and b*tching and just get some more experience if I think it's a weakness, right?

I do have leadership experience, so clinical is the last chunk missing -- I'll work on it :)

the reason i said look at the averages is cause:

all of them hover around 34, if any of them wanted higher averages they could very very easily do so, but they don't because they don't think think the mcat or gpa is the only predictor of how you'll preform as a physician

two schools at which this is especially true are UCSF and Harvard

Chris Benoit,

Sorry to hear about the passing of Eddie Guerrero--I know you guys were buddies. What a loss...

This is freaking ridiculous. I didn't have any clinical experience (NONE!) when I applied to med school. I had good stats, lots of community service activities and some leadership positions, and I didn't have any trouble getting into my first choice (a top 25 school, where I am now an MS4).

I don't know who this "everyone" is who said that clinical experiences trump bad numbers, because they absolutely do not, except in rare circumstances. You are going to be fine when applying. Do more clinical stuff if you want, if not then don't.

Premeds who do tons of things they aren't interested in just so they can pad their applications really p*ss me off.

robotsonic said:
Premeds who do tons of things they aren't interested in just so they can pad their applications really p*ss me off.

Amen. :thumbup:

I got into my state school (top 25) EDP with ~3.8, 39, and 120 hours of clinical stuff, plus some other E.C.'s. Don't worry bout it.

At the same time, try not to die along with your ego if you don't get into a top 10, goodness, apply to a number of schools and be happy if you get in somewhere. Especially if you're leaning straight MD, and won't be looking for a research position, I'm pretty sure no patient is gonna leave your office because you didn't graduate from a name school.

robotsonic said:

Hm...not quite sure where I said that I didn't want more clinical experience. It is, however, not as high a priority as other things are to me. And even if I weren't interested, I -- along with many other people -- would still do it to get in where I want. I think we'd all love to live in a world where we could do what we want and that'd be enough to get us where we want; too bad that's not the case.

Premeds with "holier than thou" attitudes p*ss me off.

Praetorian said:
Trolls p*ss me off. :smuggrin:

Yes, I am clearly a troll. My posts have "flame war" written all over them, don't they?

There was no need to get on my case -- I asked a question, I got my answer. If someone wants to take it to the next level...fine, that's their right. It's mine to respond. Or did I miss something?

I didn't call you a troll. I just said trolls p*ss me off. Take it whatever way you like, but I don't think anyone has taken a "holier than thou" attitude with you.

I know a guy with exceptional numbers and without clinical experience. He got rejected. Ultimately, his surgeon dad pulled some strings and slipped him into a school.

Gary -- I've heard a lot of stories like that. Perhaps I'm mistaken in attributing them to SDN, but I've for sure seen them online and heard them (yes, yes, second [probably more] hand stories are usually unreliable).

Praetorian -- Alright, well, I don't want this to escalate (it probably won't anyway).

I realize that perhaps this doesn't seem as much of a concern to some people, but my goal is to get into a top school. Of course I'll go to whatever's the best school I get into (if it's economical) and I know that a school's prestige often translates to nothing more than just that, prestige. However, I wouldn't mind going to a prestigious school if I could, and I really doubt most people would.

I would try to add onto the "x p*ss me off" trend but I can't think of anyting witty right now.

gary5 said:
I know a guy with exceptional numbers and without clinical experience. He got rejected. Ultimately, his surgeon dad pulled some strings and slipped him into a school.

That's disgusting. He probably got rejected for being an arrogant prick, and you can see how he got that way.

To Chris Benoit, I wasn't saying that you didn't want extra clinical experience. It's fine to do it if you want to, just don't worry about not having more.

And premeds who do things just to pad their apps still p*ss me off ;)

It burns when things p*ss me off. Should I get that checked out?