Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Your GPA and MCAT is pretty good, you come from a top 10 undergrad and you're a history major with research in another discipline. It sounds like life happened and for whatever reason getting involved in science research just didn't pan out for you. I wouldn't worry too much - I would definitely get a bunch of clinical experience in lieu of the lack of science research. Maybe someone who knows more than I can chime in.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Research is nice but not necessary. Hopefully someone will come along and post the stats of how many students matriculate with zero research experience. It's not an insignificant number.

Reactions: moisne
OP
U
May 15, 2015
Yeah, that's about right. I have about 160 hrs of clinical volunteering and 50 of shadowing, and I will be working as a scribe and doing hospice volunteering during this application year.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
You don't need research for low/mid tier schools. The MSAR research statistics are exaggerated because many applicants usually list dishwashing and maintenance duties as research rather than solid, independent, hypothesis-driven project.

Independent study doesn't fit the formal research requirement since it sounds like you did a class project on your own initiative (which is fine and a good topic to discuss in interviews). The research at a museum exhibit may be considered to be one, but it really doesn't appear to be hypothesis-driven at first glance .

But keep these activities in your W&A. Your stats and Top 10 background will make your application cycle fruitful. Good luck

Jul 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I hope this would help. From AAMC's official guide to the MCAT exam, it says research is not important for public schools. And it is not as important as health care experience or volunteer experience for private schools. Please see the table I attached below.

Attachments