CRC as only research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I didn't get any wet lab research experience as an undergraduate. I'm currently working as a CRC for industry-sponsored research, meaning there's no path to publications, and ultimately I'm not that involved in the scientific process (my job is mostly screening, consenting patients, IRB Submissions, coordinating visits, data entry, etc.) While the job has been extremely insightful and has made me want to pursue clinical research as a physician, I worry that my lack of basic science (or even more academic clinical research) will be a deficit in my application. Notably, I actually am genuinely interested in research and want to pursue it as a med student- I just never did it, so this is not a situation of wanting to check a box.

How will a CRC role like mine be perceived at research-oriented schools? If feasible, how can I gain more experience during my gap year on top of a CRC role? Thanks in advance!
 
CRC may have "clinical" and "research" in the name, but the same way Christian Scientists are neither Christian nor scientists, CRC is neither a clinical nor a research experience... at least in my view, and in terms of supporting the specific claims you would want to make on your application.

As to how much that could hurt you, who knows. It depends on the rest of your application. It's not an explicit requirement to do research, so other parts of your application can be compelling enough to rescue your profile. But there will be seams in your application, for instance, when you are asked about your intellectual contributions to science on secondaries and you may not have anything to talk about (or, more likely, you will overextend your CRC role to encompass duties not entirely plausible for that role because, what other choice do you have?)

You may doubt it, but there have been people here who insisted they have personally participated in transplant surgery and that their engagement as a CRC was so essential, the surgery would not proceed without them.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who rolled my eyes so far into the back of my head, they got stuck there. :laugh:
 
I'm not that involved in the scientific process (my job is mostly screening, consenting patients, IRB Submissions, coordinating visits, data entry, etc.)
This is part of the scientific process. Good research is very hard to do, and there is usually a lot of tedious gruntwork to obtain usable data.

If you are lamenting that you were not involved in developing the hypothesis or experimental design, that's true of the vast majority of student research projects.

The best thing for you to do here is to dive into the project(s) you are already involved with and learn every facet. What is the intervention? How does it work? What is the goal? How was the sample size chosen? What statistics are going to be used? How were the inclusion/exclusion criteria chosen? How were the outcomes chosen? How does this project fit into the existing research on the subject?

You're already standing next to a treasure trove of information and experience. Explore it to the fullest.