Worried about matching in IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My step 1 is a 184/74 and I am an IMG. I was hoping in doing an IM residency and working as a hospitalist. Do I need to go to a university program to get a job as a hospitalist.

Do you think my chances of matching in an IM program with those scores are impossible. Just a little worried if anyone can share some advice or if youve been in this situation i would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PELE#10 said:
My step 1 is a 184/74 and I am an IMG. I was hoping in doing an IM residency and working as a hospitalist. Do I need to go to a university program to get a job as a hospitalist.
Do you think my chances of matching in an IM program with those scores are impossible. Just a little worried if anyone can share some advice or if youve been in this situation i would love to hear about it.

Thanks

1. I do not think so.
2. My opinion that you need to have a solid Step 2 score.
Good luck!

bluebonnet07 said:
1. I do not think so.
2. My opinion that you need to have a solid Step 2 score.
Good luck!

I was told that IM is not that competitive? Arent there unfilled spots that I could scramble into if my step 2 is as equally weak?

Members don't see this ad :)
PELE#10 said:
I was told that IM is not that competitive? Arent there unfilled spots that I could scramble into if my step 2 is as equally weak?
If you are an American grad, yes, IM is not competitive. If you are an IMG, it depends on the year of graduation, visa status, US clinical experience and scores. Scramble as far as I heard, is much like winning a lottery - if you are lucky you can get it, but personally I am not putting to much hope in it.

Isn't a 74 a non passing grade on the USMLE? IM for FMG's has become a bit more competitive as of recent. However you do not have to do residency in a University program to work as a hospitalist. Community IM spots are generally not as competitive, and are just as good if you are not interested in specialization.

Good Luck

maxpower75 said:
Isn't a 74 a non passing grade on the USMLE?

From the USMLE website:

The USMLE program recommends a minimum passing score for each Step. Currently, the passing scores as set by the USMLE program are 182 for Step 1, 182 for Step 2 CK and 184 for Step 3 on the 3-digit scale, or 75 on the 2-digit scale.

Since he/she scored over 182 on the 3 digit scale, I believe it is a passing grade. The curious thing though is that a majority of IM residencies report their minimum Step 1 score as a 75 in 2 digit format.

bluebonnet07 said:
If you are an American grad, yes, IM is not competitive. If you are an IMG, it depends on the year of graduation, visa status, US clinical experience and scores. Scramble as far as I heard, is much like winning a lottery - if you are lucky you can get it, but personally I am not putting to much hope in it.

I'm not an FMG(non US-Citizen) I am an IMG(Born and raised in the United States who went abroad for his/her medical education) so I dont think that visa status is an issue. And as far as winning the lottery possibly if your from India or somewhere and have no visa. But 100% of the people that tried to match in IM from my program did so.

Just thougt I would find someone who has been in my predicament.
Thanks anyway.