Worried about Moving away from Girlfriend for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been dating my girlfriend for 2 1/2 years and am worried about what will happen to us once I move away across the country from her. She'll be in California and I will most likely be either in Philly or New York. Anyone else worried about this?

Members don't see this ad.

RaaMD said:
I've been dating my girlfriend for 2 1/2 years and am worried about what will happen to us once I move away across the country from her. She'll be in California and I will most likely be either in Philly or New York. Anyone else worried about this?

don't trust your gf or something?

I'm a bit worried too. I've been with my girlfriend for 1.5 years and I'm waitlisted at four schools.

While she's in the Seattle area, I could luck out and make it off the UW waitlist and stay close to her. If not, I could "luck out" and get into med school in Wisconsin, New York, or New Hampshire. Still don't know what to make of it, seeing as how I will be moving away in about a month and a half and I still don't know where.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I'm actually looking forward to med school for this reason, because my long-distance relationship will finally come to an end, and she'll be living with me. Good luck for you guys though. It's tough. :(

its not anywhere near time yet for me to really start worrying, but im surely not looking forward to making the desicion on where to go. ive been with my girlfriend for 5 years, itll be 8 years the fall i leave for med school. crap thats a long time. hopefully we'll end up near each other...

good luck to you all.

Doc.Holliday said:
its not anywhere near time yet for me to really start worrying, but im surely not looking forward to making the desicion on where to go. ive been with my girlfriend for 5 years, itll be 8 years the fall i leave for med school. crap thats a long time. hopefully we'll end up near each other...

good luck to you all.

wow, eight years!

why not get married at that time & hence move together? :)

TheProwler said:
Ah, I'm actually looking forward to med school for this reason, because my long-distance relationship will finally come to an end, and she'll be living with me. Good luck for you guys though. It's tough. :(

Lucky you! :thumbup:

RaaMD said:

three words: c'est la vie.

And, sorry, but I'm not worried about you being away from your girlfriend.

TheProwler said:

Hey Prowler, how on earth were you able to talk your girl into moving out to Tosa with you? I've been in a committed relationship for the past 5 years and just the thought of moving to the Midwest makes my girl cringe – no offence to you Midwesterners, I'm actually looking forward to it. Nothing short of two carrots is going to get her to go, and I'm not sure if I’m ready for that commitment yet. :scared:

Ah, I'm actually looking forward to med school for this reason, because my long-distance relationship will finally come to an end, and she'll be living with me. Good luck for you guys though. It's tough.

Me too :D I've been dating my man for about 3 years, and 2.5 of them were long distance (8 then 10.5 hour drive- or more often for the second place, needing a plane ticket). Now, things sort of worked themselves out so we'll only be a little over an hour apart. Looking forward to it. Good luck to everyone doing the long distance things. It's not all bad. You can focus on med school and when you see your girlfriend, really make the time count. You should always be looking forward to seeing each other, at least.

Anyone else worried about this?

nicholonious said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Starting this August I'll be in a long distance engagement. My fiance keeps getting these damned promotions and raises at work. We're just going to see how things work out the first year. As someone else has said, it may turn out better since I can study without him feeling resentful. As for after the wedding, we're still working that out.

I don't know what's keeping her from moving with you, but if it's a time issue have you thought of deferring for a year? My fiance won't be done with school until the year after I'm supposed to start med school, so if I don't get in anywhere near where we're living I'll most likely try to defer.

Oh, and we did the long-distance relationship thing for a year a few years back and it was pure hell. We racked up well over 3,000 minutes on the cell phone per month, which obviously won't work while in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
RaaMD said:
I've already been dealing with this when she went to college, it pretty much sucks. But now when I had the chance to go to med school near her again, I turned it down. You have to evaluate the whole package and choose what will work out the best in the long run. If it's meant to be, you'll survive it. Try to see each other as much as possible and keep in touch with e-mails, phone calls and IM. Best of luck!

GATORade said:
Hey Prowler, how on earth were you able to talk your girl into moving out to Tosa with you? I've been in a committed relationship for the past 5 years and just the thought of moving to the Midwest makes my girl cringe – no offence to you Midwesterners, I'm actually looking forward to it. Nothing short of two carrots is going to get her to go, and I'm not sure if I’m ready for that commitment yet. :scared:
Well, she and I were born/raised in adjacent counties and went to HS together, but she picked a small Christian liberal arts college in the souf. She and I would both love to end up living in the Chicago loop area, so here's hoping Northwestern shows me some love for Class of 2006. :cool:

Side note - I don't live in Tosa, but I am familiar with all of Milwaukee county. I'm on the far north side right now, but I'll be moving to the east side soon, I hope.

My boyfreind and I have been together for 2 yrs now, half of which was long distance. I actually thought the long distance was good b/c i had plenty of time to study for the MCAT and not have to feel guilty. I think the trick is for both of you to stay busy. When you hit med school U'll be studying so much u won't have time to feel sad! At least thats what happened w us. And we're planning to do long distance again for who knows how long. We're both just going w the flow of things.

Bottom line: If you don't put everything into med school u r gonna regret it. And if she cares about u, she'll be nothing but supportive.

You should be worried, cuz I'm gonna bone your gf.

Ambs said:
wow, eight years!

why not get married at that time & hence move together? :)

well, we might move together, but at this point she hasnt absolutely decided what shes going to do.. debating between dentistry and psychology. if she goes into dentistry shes almost definitely staying here (damn near impossible it seems to go out of state), psychology would make coming with me or at least near me an option. but who knows where i'll even end up, its quite probable i'll stay and go to Tulane, unless i happen to get in some place noticably better that i like a whole lot. and after med school i'll be worrying about where i'll go for residency. sheesh

as for the marriage thing.. yea we could, and i'm certainly not scared of commitment :D , but i sure feel way to young to be getting married. maybe i'll feel differently by graduation, though im not really expecting to.

MWillie said:

that's the spirit!

Seriously, though, there is no point worrying about things. You could get into a car accident tomorrow and die.

If you gf leaves you, she leaves you. be positive, trust her and do not worry.

you will be a doctor, there will be other girls who are willing to date you.

Without Wax said:
that's the spirit!

Seriously, though, there is no point worrying about things. You could get into a car accident tomorrow and die.

If you gf leaves you, she leaves you. be positive, trust her and do not worry.

you will be a doctor, there will be other girls who are willing to date you.

i think many of us are less worried about our significant others leaving us and more worried about how much its going to suck.

its been 2.5 years for me. and my gf is goin to med school as of right now she'll be in nyc. me on the other hand am waitlisted at 8 schools all in teh east coast. the longest drive i would have would be from virginia. we've done a year of the distance thing. it worked out ok i guess cause it wasnt that far. but now that we will both be in med school it will be harder. its in the back of my head as far as basing where i go to school on location wise. but then again as of right now i have no choice so ill take whatever i get. i seem to be more worried about it then her about the relationship and what will happen. too bad things couldnt be simpler. :(

Last edited:
5 months and counting...that's how long my boyfriend and I have been apart. I'm starting med school in florida...he's starting pharmacy in boston. He starts about a month after I do, so he'll come down and spend about a month down here...then we'll be apart...for a long time. I know we'll be OK, because we want to make it work. His program is only 2.5 years...so I'm hoping we'll have a little breathing room there. But I mean...what else can I do? I really don't want to be looking around for anyone else...cuz I'm happy, despite the distance...

If you and your girl have a strong relationship...it'll work. It's not easy, but you can make it work

Karina

gerido said:
don't trust your gf or something?

YO, it's the distance thing man. Please refrain from making sly comments about my girlfriend again.

nicholonious said:
three words: c'est la vie.

Screw you *******. Who the hell do you think you are.

Psycho Doctor said:
I've already been dealing with this when she went to college, it pretty much sucks. But now when I had the chance to go to med school near her again, I turned it down. You have to evaluate the whole package and choose what will work out the best in the long run. If it's meant to be, you'll survive it. Try to see each other as much as possible and keep in touch with e-mails, phone calls and IM. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply man. Some SDNers on here have been such a$$holes about my post.

MWillie said:

**** you dingus.

Karina said:
5 months and counting...that's how long my boyfriend and I have been apart. I'm starting med school in florida...he's starting pharmacy in boston. He starts about a month after I do, so he'll come down and spend about a month down here...then we'll be apart...for a long time. I know we'll be OK, because we want to make it work. His program is only 2.5 years...so I'm hoping we'll have a little breathing room there. But I mean...what else can I do? I really don't want to be looking around for anyone else...cuz I'm happy, despite the distance...

If you and your girl have a strong relationship...it'll work. It's not easy, but you can make it work

Karina

Thanks for the post.

Cursing out someone through a computer just doesn't do anything....

Fight, fight, fight, fight!

RaaMD said:
**** you dingus.

knickfan18 said:
Cursing out someone through a computer just doesn't do anything....

Fight, fight, fight, fight!

Yeah dude, I got a personal message from RaaMD with that message. :(

RaaMD said:
Thanks for the reply man. Some SDNers on here have been such a$$holes about my post.
well some people feel it makes them seem cool to act that way. :thumbdown:

GATORade said:
2 carrots?! hahaha. you mean 2 carats.

bewitched1081 said:
2 carrots?! hahaha. you mean 2 carats.

hey now maybe she's a vegetarian....with a bunny.....and a thing for carrots.

You need her to give you the "2 carrots" thing in writing. Once you got that on her, you've got it made.

nicholonious said:
Yeah dude, I got a personal message from RaaMD with that message. :(

So did I!! And all I did was attach a coupla these ---> :laugh: under your quote!! Thanks for getting me busted Nich!! :laugh: :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
So did I!! And all I did was attach a coupla these ---> :laugh: under your quote!! Thanks for getting me busted Nich!! :laugh: :thumbup:

lol! that's what you get for tailing me!!! Oh what the heck, I'll add some myself: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(I've been a naughty boy, someone PM me something vicious and rude!)

so she's definitely NOT following me to med school. To make things worse, I got into a school close to her, but I want to attend a school that's all the way across the country. It's going to be hard enough as it is to say goodbye without her being upset that I chose a school that's far away.

microman said:
so she's definitely NOT following me to med school. To make things worse, I got into a school close to her, but I want to attend a school that's all the way across the country. It's going to be hard enough as it is to say goodbye without her being upset that I chose a school that's far away.
that's exactly what i went thru...not a very good scene :thumbdown: best of luck!@

microman said:

That does suck: picking between gf and school. :thumbdown:

Long distance relationships suck..end of story. It's even worse when one or both people are in medical school. I've been with my bf for three years, and the last one year we've spent apart; I've been in California, and he's been in Indiana. We can't see each other b/c my family is REALLy strict and doesn't exactly know that i have a bf. Great eh? But i just wanted u to know that if you are committed to making it work, then nothing will stop you. YES..it gets so damn hard at times...but if you love the person, then you suck it up and DEAL. Best of luck

bebella :thumbup:

bebella24 said:
Long distance relationships suck..end of story. It's even worse when one or both people are in medical school. I've been with my bf for three years, and the last one year we've spent apart; I've been in California, and he's been in Indiana. We can't see each other b/c my family is REALLy strict and doesn't exactly know that i have a bf. Great eh? But i just wanted u to know that if you are committed to making it work, then nothing will stop you. YES..it gets so damn hard at times...but if you love the person, then you suck it up and DEAL. Best of luck

bebella :thumbup:

so true --

i've been with my bf for 3 years as well, and now we're wondering what to do because I'm probably headed to the midwest for medschool while he still has 2 years of grad school left in california. breakup seems imminent -- it's just so unfair to ask someone to stay committed to a long-distance thing for 4 years when you've only been together for 3. the other option is to be apart for 2 years (until he finishes school) and then have him move out to Chi-town with me. GAH! that sounds like we're serious enoug for the M-word to be on the horizon.

life is choices.

Breakup or get them to move.

One of you will fool around if you are far away for so long.