Worried about my performance in rotations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monday is my first rotation in pediatrics. I did well on Step 1 and want to do even better on Step 2. I find myself worried time and time again about which resources to use for prepping for S2.

I guess since the road to success for Step 1 is more clearly defined, and not as clearly defined as Step 2 - that's really rustling my jimmies. I purchased MTB and Step Up to Step 2. I want to get a early start on this, because I know if I start preparing at the end the work while pile up on me, and I'll become too too overwhelmed.

Damn, I just want to kill my shelf exams, honor all my rotations, and break a 260 on Step 2. Am I really asking for too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to relax a little. No one can be perfect at everything and no one expects you to be. In my opinion, consistent effort on rotations (read up on patients, THINK about your patients, offer an assessment and plan every time, show compassion, humility, etc) plus consistent study towards each shelf exam should put you in a good position for step 2.

Monday is my first rotation in pediatrics. I did well on Step 1 and want to do even better on Step 2. I find myself worried time and time again about which resources to use for prepping for S2.

I guess since the road to success for Step 1 is more clearly defined, and not as clearly defined as Step 2 - that's really rustling my jimmies. I purchased MTB and Step Up to Step 2. I want to get a early start on this, because I know if I start preparing at the end the work while pile up on me, and I'll become too too overwhelmed.

Damn, I just want to kill my shelf exams, honor all my rotations, and break a 260 on Step 2. Am I really asking for too much?

Focus on your clerkships. Believe me, the shelves will kick your ass if you try to "study ahead" for Step 2. Work hard, read about your patients, study for your shelves. Make sure you use UWorld to study for the shelves, and you should be in great shape when you start studying for Step 2 at the END of 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on your clerkships. Believe me, the shelves will kick your ass if you try to "study ahead" for Step 2. Work hard, read about your patients, study for your shelves. Make sure you use UWorld to study for the shelves, and you should be in great shape when you start studying for Step 2 at the END of 3rd year.

+1

If you are doing well (85-90+) on all your shelves, you will destroy Step 2 with minimal studying.

Focus on doing well on each individual shelf in each rotation without thinking ahead to what Step 2 will be like.

Based on the last two threads you've started, I'm gonna go ahead and call troll on this...

Try to relax a little. No one can be perfect at everything and no one expects you to be. In my opinion, consistent effort on rotations (read up on patients, THINK about your patients, offer an assessment and plan every time, show compassion, humility, etc) plus consistent study towards each shelf exam should put you in a good position for step 2.

Yeah, just keeping high expectations for myself. Don't want to mess up anywhere which can potentially jeopardize my career down the line. Just want to be the best possible physician as there can be.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

+1

If you are doing well (85-90+) on all your shelves, you will destroy Step 2 with minimal studying.

Focus on doing well on each individual shelf in each rotation without thinking ahead to what Step 2 will be like.

Thanks, will keep this in mind. Already have a couple of resources which I'll start to read as soon as I start Monday.

Based on the last two threads you've started, I'm gonna go ahead and call troll on this...

um, ok...

Basically, shelf studying IS step 2 prep. You'll be using review books/UWorld when you want to read on your patients/practice questions, and after taking the shelf exams, Step 2 is just more of the same.

It's not like the 1st two years where you get lectures, tested on those lectures, and have to read outside review books. All the reading will be initiated by you, the tests are all standarized, so it's very cut and dry. Which is what made 3rd year 100x easier than 1st/2nd. Plus, the lower volume. Definitely the lower volume of information. Of course, the other difference is the hours on the wards :p