Worried about pre-reqs...

Started by ieatkimbap
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ieatkimbap

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

A little background about me:

Degree: Cell/mol/dev Biology B.S. from UW
Cumulative GPA: 3.50
Science GPA: 3.48
PCAT: Taking in June
No pharmacy experience as of yet 🙁 Just volunteer/tutoring/mentoring work.

I've been on this forum for a while and it's been super helpful. I am worried about something though. I am applying later this year and while I will have most of the standard pre-reqs done before I submit my application, my university doesn't offer anatomy/physiology till fall 2010 so I'd have to put that off on my application.

My question is how greatly will this impact how competitive I am since I know the more pre-reqs you have done before you submit your app is better.

Thoughts? Thanks!
 
Hey guys,

A little background about me:

Degree: Cell/mol/dev Biology B.S. from UW
Cumulative GPA: 3.50
Science GPA: 3.48
PCAT: Taking in June
No pharmacy experience as of yet 🙁 Just volunteer/tutoring/mentoring work.

I've been on this forum for a while and it's been super helpful. I am worried about something though. I am applying later this year and while I will have most of the standard pre-reqs done before I submit my application, my university doesn't offer anatomy/physiology till fall 2010 so I'd have to put that off on my application.

My question is how greatly will this impact how competitive I am since I know the more pre-reqs you have done before you submit your app is better.

Thoughts? Thanks!

A&P isn't a pre-requisite everywhere, so make sure the schools you're applying to even look for it to begin with. But, even still, people have been accepted while still needing to finish Orgo II, or Calculus, or Physics... your other stats seem solid and if your PCAT is in the competitive 75-80+ composite range you should have zero worries.
 
I am in the same boat as you, taking Anat/Phys this fall while I'm in the process of applying. Other than Illinois-Chicago, which doesn't accept suplementals until the end of fall term if there are pre-reqs in progress, this hasn't been a problem at all for me. The biggest issue was having taken the Oct. PCAT; I submitted PharmCAS super early (August) but everything was held up by the late PCAT date. I'm glad to see you're planning on an early testing date.

Additionally, many schools I've applied to (including UW, it seems) wait until about now to start reviewing applications anyway, whether A+P is complete or not.

Your stats look great, and it shouldn't be a problem for you, either...so don't worry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From personal experience, having 5-6 missing pre-reqs with the application turned in (we were on quarter system so half of those pre-reqs were in progress as I turned in my apps) is a problem but not having one or two pre-reqs is ok.

If it's only A+P missing, there will be minimal impact if any.
 
Ah ok..So I'm taking that I shouldn't worry too much..lol. Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.