Worrying about losing your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The aspect of retail just wanting a licensee with a pulse is not a new phenomenon. Its always been there.
Healthcare system pharmacy can't afford to just hire just anyone. Its still a challenge to hire high caliber pharmacists. PGY1&2 kids are still sought after. Over 30 resumes and there were 2 residency trained applicants. For those kids they don't need to subscribe to your gloom and doom. And neither do I.

There is still the issue of job-lock and the undercutting of salaries, which just because you claim YOU won't start dropping salaries, doesn't mean your peers at hungrier points in their careers might not (some of which already HAVE). Plus, at what point will this hit equilibrium and start shifting the other way. How many new healthcare system pharmacists are really going to be needed each year? You gonna take the initiative and implement the Jack Welch vitality model at your institution to make sure you have room for a few qualified PGY1/2's each year? Just because PGY1/2 is enough now for these kids coming out, who is to say that will be enough a few years from now? I remember when PGY1 meant virtually an automatic clinical specialty gig immediately, and that wasn't that long ago...

You're obviously the person on the board that has been the most successful by far in pharmacy and an ultra-bright guy who would have been at the top of the pack in any era of just about any profession you had chosen... but you did make the bulk of your ascension during the cake days of pharmacy and I think you misunderestimate (wanted to make you feel like you were back in Texas :smuggrin:) the struggles these kids just graduating are facing and will continue to face moving forward...

Members don't see this ad.

There is still the issue of job-lock and the undercutting of salaries, which just because you claim YOU won't start dropping salaries, doesn't mean your peers at hungrier points in their careers might not (some of which already HAVE). Plus, at what point will this hit equilibrium and start shifting the other way. How many new healthcare system pharmacists are really going to be needed each year? You gonna take the initiative and implement the Jack Welch vitality model at your institution to make sure you have room for a few qualified PGY1/2's each year? Just because PGY1/2 is enough now for these kids coming out, who is to say that will be enough a few years from now? I remember when PGY1 meant virtually an automatic clinical specialty gig immediately, and that wasn't that long ago...

You're obviously the person on the board that has been the most successful by far in pharmacy and an ultra-bright guy who would have been at the top of the pack in any era of just about any profession you had chosen... but you did make the bulk of your ascension during the cake days of pharmacy and I think you misunderestimate (wanted to make you feel like you were back in Texas :smuggrin:) the struggles these kids just graduating are facing and will continue to face moving forward...

Shut up Foo !!! You forgot page 3.

Shut up Foo !!! You forgot page 3.

homer_simpson_doh_02_6BC8DEF8.gif

The ever-elusive page 3...

Members don't see this ad :)

If I remember correctly, Z graduated in the late 80s/earl 90s and during a time when the market was pretty unforgiving (was this due to the influx of technicians?). He had tried like hell to get a retail gig but no one took him and the rest is history

If I remember correctly, Z graduated in the late 80s/earl 90s and during a time when the market was pretty unforgiving (was this due to the influx of technicians?). He had tried like hell to get a retail gig but no one took him and the rest is history

Creepy dood ....creepy...

You know the saying watch what the masses do and go the opposite way? While my buddies were getting massive sign on bonuses and getting promoted the DM in retail setting and when most grads would insult me with "you don't pay enough and your benefits can't match what this xxx- retail is paying" I sucked it up and ran hospital pharmacies working like a fool. Buddies and other pharmacists laughed at me when I begged them to help me at the hospital. Im not here to rub it in or say I told you so. Rather I feel bad for those who's now stuck in retail trying to get out. If I had it my way I would hire them away and train them. Yet Im obligated to hire better prepared licensed pharmacists who can come inhit the ground running. I just can't afford to spend 6 months training a pharmacist who may not make it as a hospital pharmacist. Many older retail pharmacists turned hospital pharmacists struggle even after years of being a hospital pharmacist.

*E-stalker* :love:

Seriously though, your knowledge of ID, knowledge of business, experience, *cough* porsche *cough*, etc. Definitely someone who I look up to. However, I'd rather die than be in a management position again.

Fyi....I finished rx school in mid 90s 1 year before the retail boom.

Oh....I got the IMS bearing upgraded to LN engineering ceramic. Now I drive it like I stole it. Everyday!

While my buddies were getting massive sign on bonuses and getting promoted the DM in retail setting
If your buddies who went retail in the mid-90s played their cards right with company stock and options and got out at the right time, they would probably be retired and out playing golf or fishing right now; not arguing on some internet discussion board...

Anyway, I think there are a lot of lurkers on here just quietly playing the retail game the right way. You don't have to know much, if anything about pharmacy, so don't go off comparing brain pans with the gunners. Keep a low profile. Keep your cool. Don't do anything stupid that will get you fired. Put in the hours and some overtime. Get your stock and options. Don't blow all your salary on cars and stuff. Invest your money in a [investment] vehicle of your choosing. Profit $$$, then quit your day job :)

If you're worried about losing your job, then make it so you don't need a job at all.

If your buddies who went retail in the mid-90s played their cards right with company stock and options and got out at the right time, they would probably be retired and out playing golf or fishing right now; not arguing on some internet discussion board...

Anyway, I think there are a lot of lurkers on here just quietly playing the retail game the right way. You don't have to know much, if anything about pharmacy, so don't go off comparing brain pans with the gunners. Keep a low profile. Keep your cool. Don't do anything stupid that will get you fired. Put in the hours and some overtime. Get your stock and options. Don't blow all your salary on cars and stuff. Invest your money in a [investment] vehicle of your choosing. Profit $$$, then quit your day job :)

If you're worried about losing your job, then make it so you don't need a job at all.

good post.

i am convinced Its Z is a troll. lives in california, pays pharmacists 150 right out of school, takes vacations all over, sports cars, posts on internet all day. just does not add up. prob a pharm school student.

good post.

i am convinced Its Z is a troll. lives in california, pays pharmacists 150 right out of school, takes vacations all over, sports cars, posts on internet all day. just does not add up. prob a pharm school student.

You left out my RV BUT.....Dayum finally someone figured me out.... good catch. You're so smart.
:smuggrin:

I'm not sure how this is bad advice in any field. Unless you're a gunner.

And to think I had rphs coming at me with torches and pitchforks in another thread for pointing this out about the state of retail pharmacy. At least at Wags, the computer makes it pretty idiot proof. Dunno about other places.
I'm not sure how this is bad advice in any field. Unless you're a gunner.
Shhhhhh. Gunners don't talk about gunning ;)
good post.

Z has historically popped off too much in random tibits about pharmacy to not be the real mccoy.

Hell, I've been on this forum for 7+ years now... I guess I came as a pre-pharm and still in school...:smuggrin: