More often than not do people not match where they Audition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
People always say do aways, do aways, do aways.

But from a trend that I have noticed with my school's last couple of match years, people rarely / hardly ever are matching at locations that they have done audition rotations at. Is this a normal trend?

I mean I would hate to do an audition at my top 1 or 2 places, and then just not match there at all; would I have a better shot matching without auditioning in these locations? Are auditions even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As much as I love speculating, someone would have to formally analyze the data here to figure out why this is. There are just too many confounding factors. As a DO itself, you know there’s anti-DO bias (which maybe you are accounting for since you’re posting here) and the fact that DOs likely predominantly do aways at higher ranked institutions that they don’t match at on average. (ie - VSAS money grab).

I think the concerning thing would be if the data was analyzed and there was a negative association with controlling for confounders. Then we can start speculating about aways creating a negative impression that does more harm than good.

Until then, I think all DOs should do aways. It gets you looked at and if anything gives you exposure which will be valuable wherever you end up training anyways which far outweighs the speculative cons of doing an away.

The MDs dont usually match to where they do their sub-I's unless they are great looking, charismatic, and have good personality. LOL, that rules out about 90% of us. :rofl:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One person in my class auditioned at 5 ortho programs, only interviewed at those 5, and didn't match. One of them, is the colorado program where DO students have to pay $4000 to rotate at.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
So again, this begs the question: should I audition at places that I dont want to rank at the top of my list instead??

Depending on the specialty, I'd say yes, it is worth it. The places I auditioned at ended up at the bottom of my list mostly because the letter I got from one of them landed me many interviews at better places, and I matched at a better place. Even though I landed lower on my list than I would have wanted. But I also applied to neurology which is not as competitive as things like Ortho, Rads, Anesthesia, etc...

This is specialty dependent and mainly at former AOA programs, right?

Extremely specialty dependent.

If you have your heart set on a specific program your best chance is to rotate there.

Reactions: 3 users
I did two Sub-Is in psychiatry. I matched at one of them. I obtained letters from one that helped secure additional interviews. That has a ton of value; I'd lean towards doing as many sub-Is as you can, at least in this field.

I did not match at the sub-I that I ranked higher, however. I received nothing but very positive feedback and some winks and nudges after the rotation indicating they liked me. Well, not enough. I got my hopes up quite a bit and was disappointed by this, though feel extremely fortunate to have matched where I did. I know I would not have gotten an interview at one of the sub-Is had I not done the rotation... it's just difficult to say whether or not the herculean personal effort is worth it because I feel like I was not actually sincerely considered. I know this isn't an isolated case, and it's probably very difficult to predict which institutions will give you a true shot versus "a shot" if you rotate with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what has already been said, it is extremely specialty dependent. In competitive surgical specialties like urology, ophthalmology, ENT, Ortho, etc. your chances of matching are greatly increased by doing an away at these institutions. Your chances increase further by doing your aways with former AOA programs. Some programs, especially former AOA programs, will only interview rotators. So if you are interested in one of these specialties, the advise would be to do an away at programs you are interested, do aways at former AOA programs, and perform well on your aways. Your aways are extended interviews. They don't expect perfection, but they want to see someone that they would like to work with for several years.
Other specialties are less away dependent. For example, in IM, FM, EM, etc. the away isn't as important for a number of reasons. One is the shear number of available programs and positions within those programs. However, if you are interested in a particular program, the advise would still be to go there and do well. Give them a reason to want to have you back.
The trend you have noticed at your school is strange and, IMO, not the norm. It may also be anecdotal.

Away rotations are a double edged sword. Do you have game? and not just think you got game. it has been reported that a high percentage of MDs do not match to their away places, but i guess if you do 5 or 6 away rotaions, one of them may like you.

Last edited: