Worst/Best state to live in terms of Med School Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But 75% of the class is in-state preference, and the average states aren't outrageous. And we have 2, btw. UA Tucson and UA Phoenix. Just sucks cus AZ is too damn hot.

is the med school is Phoenix new? good?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Texas: Baylor, UTSW, UT Houston, UT Galveston, UTHCSA, Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso, Texas A&M, TCOM. That is 9 schools, all cheap, 2 top ranked.

2. Ohio: Case Western, Case-Lerner, Ohio State, Toledo, NEOCOM, Cinci, Wayne State, OHIO University D.O. 8 schools, lot of options for instate students.

3. California: Only if you have the numbers though! So many good schools to choose from.

is the med school is Phoenix new? good?

it is kind of new....there has been a program for the clinical years (3 and 4) for years but they recently added the first two years so they could offer a full 4 year medical school....i believe this current applying class will be the 3 class of the four year program there.

is it good? i have heard it is quite respectable. it is small and so is the student body, but there are TONS of hospitals in the phoenix area....and they place amazing emphasis on clinical preparation. love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think az is the worst. as for the "two med schools" ...there's two campuses, but 1 med school.

phoenix has a class of ~48
tucson has a class of ~115

i just think az is dry in every sense.

FLORIDA IS number 1
we have 2 DO schools and 6 med schools
2 different UM's. FIU, USF, UCF, FSU, UF
DO NOVA and LECOM Bradenton
The weather forget about it I am wearing shorts today... i am wearing shorts today NAH NAH NAH:love::love::love::love::love:

i think az is the worst. as for the "two med schools" ...there's two campuses, but 1 med school.

i wouldnt call them one med school. they make their decisions independently and you can get accepted at one and rejected at the other location. they have different curriculums. definitely not one med school, despite both sharing the same name.

az is dry, but it is also nice....if you've lived there for 22 years like myself, you'd know that

Illinois has 7 med schools: Northwestern, U. of Chicago, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, U. of Illinois (largest med school in the country), Rush, and Southern Illinois. For central and southern Illinois applicants you only need around a 3.5 and a 27 MCAT to get into Southern. None of the stats at the other schools are ridiculous either except Northwestern and UofC. Those are the only two that don't give any state preference (even Loyola gives some preference).

If you live in Louisiana, you have it pretty good in my opinion. I think MS is the only state that as higher acceptance percentages.

LSU-Shreveport and LSU-New Orleans only take IS and the stats aren't high at all. Tulane is also an option, but is quite expensive and takes a good bit OOS.

Illinois has 7 med schools: Northwestern, U. of Chicago, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, U. of Illinois (largest med school in the country), Rush, and Southern Illinois. For central and southern Illinois applicants you only need around a 3.5 and a 27 MCAT to get into Southern. None of the stats at the other schools are ridiculous either except Northwestern and UofC. Those are the only two that don't give any state preference (even Loyola gives some preference).

Midwestern University (CCOM) is also in Illinois--it's DO, but is considered one of the most established and respected programs

1. Texas: Baylor, UTSW, UT Houston, UT Galveston, UTHCSA, Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso, Texas A&M, TCOM. That is 9 schools, all cheap, 2 top ranked.

2. Ohio: Case Western, Case-Lerner, Ohio State, Toledo, NEOCOM, Cinci, Wayne State, OHIO University D.O. 8 schools, lot of options for instate students.

3. California: Only if you have the numbers though! So many good schools to choose from.

CA isn't good even if you have the numbers. The schools have enough options that they can be very selective for other things in addition to numbers.

I just want to go to med school where it is warm! Tired of freezing my butt off every winter :mad:

lesser known is the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University in Glendale, Arizona. So there is still technically ANOTHER med school

Members don't see this ad :)
Utah would probably be tough. I think there's only 1 school and I believe other states (Idaho?) have preference there as well.

Washington State used to suck since they take from 5 states, but now there's a second school there.

WA State still sucks (from the standpoint of med school admissions). I don't know much about the second school (it's a DO school) except I believe it is in Yakima. no offense to any Yakimites, but I would never want to live in Yakima. as for UWSOM, even as a WA resident one's odds of getting in there are abysmal. to paraphrase the admissions director, your chances are something like 1 in 7. I believe I once heard her say that of the WWAMI states, your best odds of getting in were as a WY resident

Actually, I think you guys are a bit off. From my understanding, WA residents still have priority over everyone. What you guys are referring to is WWAMI agreement, which sets aside a certain amount of space for applicants from these regions. It is, however, still fairly small (something like 8% if I'm not mistaken). Then, after those two groups, a very small amount of space is set aside for out of staters.

I don't know too much about the new DO school in Yakima. Do you guys know if residency is even taken into account with that school?

Bottom line, I would rather live in another state as far as better chances goes, but don't mind having a good shot at UWSOM, since it is such a great school.

so does MA, but it's a great one. and since only IS people can apply, the number of apps is lower and the admission rate is a bit higher.

MA has 4 MD schools....Umass, Tufts, Harvard, Boston University

Actually, I think you guys are a bit off. From my understanding, WA residents still have priority over everyone. What you guys are referring to is WWAMI agreement, which sets aside a certain amount of space for applicants from these regions. It is, however, still fairly small (something like 8% if I'm not mistaken). Then, after those two groups, a very small amount of space is set aside for out of staters.

I don't know too much about the new DO school in Yakima. Do you guys know if residency is even taken into account with that school?

Bottom line, I would rather live in another state as far as better chances goes, but don't mind having a good shot at UWSOM, since it is such a great school.

no...well, I understood what I meant, anyway:) WA residents have priority over everyone for the spots at UWSOM that are just for WA residents (this is most of the spots). WA residents have no priority for the seats that are reserved for the WWAMI ppl (not just no priority, WA residents are not in contention for these seats AT ALL). I really don't know about out of region ppl; I thought they were in the same pool as the WA residents but I'm not sure. they definitely do not compete against the WWAMI ppl, though. and I do not have any quantitative data to back this up, but as I said earlier I once (or twice) heard the admissions director say that as a WA resident, you have about a 1 in 7 shot at getting in. I don't consider those very good odds, maybe you do!

no...well, I understood what I meant, anyway:) WA residents have priority over everyone for the spots at UWSOM that are just for WA residents (this is most of the spots). WA residents have no priority for the seats that are reserved for the WWAMI ppl (not just no priority, WA residents are not in contention for these seats AT ALL). I really don't know about out of region ppl; I thought they were in the same pool as the WA residents but I'm not sure. they definitely do not compete against the WWAMI ppl, though. and I do not have any quantitative data to back this up, but as I said earlier I once (or twice) heard the admissions director say that as a WA resident, you have about a 1 in 7 shot at getting in. I don't consider those very good odds, maybe you do!

I think we are saying the same thing...I just wanted to clarify for whoever cared, because a lot of people still seem to have the notion that WWAMI and WA residents are in competition, when this is not really the case.

I just tried to get some statistics on it, but could not find any. It looks like UWSOM changed their website around...

Wait. How was I wrong again?

UW has "X" spots. Non-WA residents take up "Y" spots. Thus, "X-Y" is the number of spots left for WA residents. Unless "Y" is a negative number, this is a bad thing for Washington residents.

UW has "X" spots. Non-WA residents take up "Y" spots. Thus, "X-Y" is the number of spots left for WA residents. Unless "Y" is a negative number, this is a bad thing for Washington residents.

Because you said that UW takes from all 5 states, which is true. However, some might interpret that as everyone from those 5 states having an equal shot as far as residency goes, which is not the case. Do you see what I mean?

You are wrong. It's not like the "Y" spots were ever entitled to WA residents. I say this because other non-wa state pay money and provide regioal facilities to UWSOM. These spots are basically created for the other states.

I'm obviously bia coming from WA, but I think if you have numbers, WA is one better (not best) states to be in. C'mon, who can say that their "safety" school is UW (top20)? I know a bunch who do.

But CA has to be the best, simply for the variety of choices.

You are wrong. It's not like the "Y" spots were ever entitled to WA residents. I say this because other non-wa state pay money and provide regioal facilities to UWSOM. These spots are basically created for the other states.

I'm obviously bia coming from WA, but I think if you have numbers, WA is one better (not best) states to be in. C'mon, who can say that their "safety" school is UW (top20)? I know a bunch who do.

But CA has to be the best, simply for the variety of choices.

the first paragraph is correct...this is what chman and I were getting at

as for the second paragraph, any WA resident who considers UWSOM a "safety" school needs to get real

btw, chman, love the old school avatar. hope you're not having abandonment issues. :) Oklahoma has a couple of good medical schools, I hear

You're right, "X-Y" are entitled to WA residents. That's my point. What you're saying is true, but the reason why the spots go elsewhere is irrelevant to this conversation. Summary: UW, what used to be the only medical school in Washingon State, is not just for Washington residents. No one said that was unfair, but it's reality.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you, but it doesn't argue against anything I've said.

Do any of you three know if the new DO school is part of the state system? As in, does residency do anything to help admission? It would not be one of my first choices by any means, but it is always nice to have a safety as a last resort.

Do any of you three know if the new DO school is part of the state system? As in, does residency do anything to help admission? It would not be one of my first choices by any means, but it is always nice to have a safety as a last resort.

I didn't know anything about it two minutes ago, but thanks to my mad research skillz I now know this:

The PNWU-COM Admissions Committee will consider applications from all qualified individuals; however, in order to meet the mission of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, preference is given to students from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and rural medically underserved areas of the country.

www.pnwu.org

as an aside, if it's a school why is it's domain .org rather than .edu?

MA has 4 MD schools....Umass, Tufts, Harvard, Boston University

oh my god, seriously? i had no idea!

i was talking about *state* schools, since that's where residency issues actually matter.

Best states: Texas, NY, PA

Worst states: Cali and states with large applicant pool and limited medical schools

Hopefully nobody lives in DC - that would SUCK for residency.

:laugh:

nearly 600,000 people live in DC

/smart-ass response

I believe that DC residents are given some special consideration at GW's med school, but I'm not certain of this

what *really* sucks for DC residents is not having representation in Congress...

nearly 600,000 people live in DC

/smart-ass response

I believe that DC residents are given some special consideration at GW's med school, but I'm not certain of this

what *really* sucks for DC residents is not having representation in Congress...

That's why their license plates say "Taxation without representation" :laugh:

And I'll forgive you for that response, seeing as I left it open-ended. :smuggrin:

NY has 14 med schools. Not bad.

CA isn't good even if you have the numbers. The schools have enough options that they can be very selective for other things in addition to numbers.

Sooo true. I have good stats and even activities, etc. but still nothing but rejections from UC's while I've received invites from very good schools in the east coast.

That's why their license plates say "Taxation without representation" :laugh:

And I'll forgive you for that response, seeing as I left it open-ended. :smuggrin:

Yeah, when I visited my brother in D.C. I was amused to learn that the license plate says that. It's as if both the populace and the D.C. government hate the federal government and want to flip 'em off at every chance they can get :)

Best - Wyoming - WWAMI/WHICHE (sp?) member as well as increased consideration at Colorado and Creighton. The acceptance rate is one in two.

I feel like Mayo has a bias for Iowa. might just be an SDN thing though.

Worst - Cali. Asians are smart. And so are all the rest of the people trying to compete with them. Utah - ridiculous requirements for the one school. Arkansas might be another bad one dont. I see anyone from there here on SDN. What about New Mexico?

Best - Wyoming - WWAMI/WHICHE (sp?) member as well as increased consideration at Colorado and Creighton. The acceptance rate is one in two.

I feel like Mayo has a bias for Iowa. might just be an SDN thing though.

Worst - Cali. Asians are smart. And so are all the rest of the people trying to compete with them. Utah - ridiculous requirements for the one school. Arkansas might be another bad one dont. I see anyone from there here on SDN. What about New Mexico?
new mexico isnt so bad id think since basically everyone who applies gets an interview. And its probably similar for acceptances.

lesser known is the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University in Glendale, Arizona. So there is still technically ANOTHER med school

this is true--i forgot about this school. but still jturkel, that makes two medical schools despite the md campuses' "independence." additionally, yes az is dry in every sense. that's my opinion. you're always welcome to be a second opinion ;)

btw, chman, love the old school avatar. hope you're not having abandonment issues. :) Oklahoma has a couple of good medical schools, I hear

I do. I miss my team. I still hold out hope for another team though. Evidently Gary Payton has been lobbying for another team to come to Seattle.

They are planning to up the enrollment of the Phoenix campus to about the same size as the UA campus in coming years (by 2011, if I remember correctly). AZ isn't too bad, downtown PHX is shaping up to be a nice area and Scottsdale is the wannabe LA of the desert, which is nice. Only real problem I have with AZ is the heat and lack of a nearby beach, but that's just me.

Delaware. No state med school. No partnerships with neighboring med schools, except one very small partnership with Jefferson. I mean it's 20 spots a year for UDel students or Delaware residents, which makes it as competitive as applying out of state to any other school in its tier. No tuition break to any school.

Makes me proud to be from Delaware. Not.

Best- Illinois, Texas, Ohio, Florida, NY (all of state schools that are not significantly hardto get into)

Worst- California :( , I've been completely shut out from here (including my undergrad). This place is impossible to get into.....

Also people shouldn't compare median gpas from one state to another. B/c a 3.7 at a California State School (UC's) are very different than a 3.7 at another state school.....

Surprised no one has said North Carolina as one of the better states. They've got UNC, which is undoubtedly top tier, with an extreme IS preference. Then they've got ECU with an even more extreme IS preference. And these schools are hella cheap for residents. And there's always Wake Forest which is private but let's face it, it's full of NC residents.

WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) states have it really sucky. All 5 states share the University of Washington, which is being gunned for by top grads from all over the country because of it's rep.

WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) states have it really sucky. All 5 states share the University of Washington, which is being gunned for by top grads from all over the country because of it's rep.

The top grads from all over the country can gun all they want, it won't change the fact that there is only a certain number of OOS spots. I am more concerned with my in state and WWAMI competition than OOS competition.

The top grads from all over the country can gun all they want, it won't change the fact that there is only a certain number of OOS spots. I am more concerned with my in state and WWAMI competition than OOS competition.

Are there a set # of spots?

Yea, being a WA boy myself I found it really daunting trying to get into UW, even if I would have chosen to take a few years off it seemed hopeless.