Worst case scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Payne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the distinction between prelim and categorical positions has been much discussed. However, I am really unclear about how to factor prelim spots into my ERAS applications.

I would like to apply to prelim spots at a couple very competitive schools as a back-up option in case I don't get into any of my categorical choices.

The people I know personally who have done prelim years after not matching all scrambled into these spots after the match. Can you apply for spots like this (i.e. undesignated prelims) through ERAS? On MERAS, it is not clear for individual programs whether "preliminary" refers only to designated prelims or includes undesignated prelims. Is there any way to determine this? Also, how does it effect your application for a categorical spot if you apply for a prelim spot at the same time? In other words, does it make any sense to apply for both types of positions at the same program?

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Payne

Members don't see this ad.

how weak is your application? being a prelim sucks, so don't do it unless you have to.