Worst interview:acceptance ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuakerPreMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been wondering this for some time. I think I got the short end of the stick, considering I had seven interviews, all that went really well, and only two acceptances (well, 3 if UPenn makes some terrible mistake and admits me)...Anyone else have that kind of ratio? Everyone I see on MDApps has at least 50:50...Am I alone in the wall of shame?

(ok, not real wall of shame, I got in, hooray, etc. I'm just curious what other people's results were this year.)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've been wondering this for some time. I think I got the short end of the stick, considering I had seven interviews, all that went really well, and only two acceptances (well, 3 if UPenn makes some terrible mistake and admits me)...Anyone else have that kind of ratio? Everyone I see on MDApps has at least 50:50...Am I alone in the wall of shame?

(ok, not real wall of shame, I got in, hooray, etc. I'm just curious what other people's results were this year.)

I'm batting 2 for 7 as well (Duke and UNC, so I'm not complaining). If you're applying to Penn you probably applied to other competitive schools as well, this is just how it goes.

1/4. But man, any fraction above 0 is a-okay with me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen of my friends, most people who get multiple interviews will only end up with a fraction of the acceptances (or none at all). Part of the reason is that they may have applied to more competitive schools, another may be that they were not that competitive for all their schools hence less chance of getting accepted b/c of stats.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one...I thought I had competitive MCAT and GPA, but I guess they were only strong enough to get me interviews at strong schools instead of acceptances.

:thumbup: to ratios greater than zero accepts!!

edit: pagz, your MCAT is just freakin' nasty. But what the heck is up with your WS? :)

I got 3 out of 8. I applied to 18 schools, and I've been getting nothing but rejections since December. Luckily that was after my Baylor acceptance in early December which cushions the blows quite a bit.

This will depend on how many state schools consider you a resident. I was 100% as an in-stater, only got a couple of invites oos (only tried one private and got nothing).

Last edited:
1 for 7 thus far, although I still have a few left to hear from post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
1/5 here.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because a lot of the more competitive schools want older applicants? I know at least all of you with mdapps links who've posted in this thread are 22ish.

Not that I'm complaining, if I was an adcom I'd want people who've had more time to think medicine over before applying...and geez, I look a lot younger than 21.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one...I thought I had competitive MCAT and GPA, but I guess they were only strong enough to get me interviews at strong schools instead of acceptances.

:thumbup: to ratios greater than zero accepts!!

edit: pagz, your MCAT is just freakin' nasty. But what the heck is up with your WS? :)

yeah, haha. i have NO idea what happened with that writing part. i sort of tried, but i guess they weren't buying my BS that day.

so, anybody else pursuing a crapload of waitlists? i just can't believe that the process isn't OVER yet because of this.

ugh - i hate to be the winner..

0/10

3/4, 1 pending = 3/5

(2 in state, 3 oos)

ps go dodgers!

0/10

i bow to you...that beats mine.

now push those waitlists, girl!!! push like you've never pushed before!

I met a med student during one of my interviews who went to TWELVE intervies all across the country (talk about big money), but ended up only getting accepted to ONE.
You just have to wonder how that happens...

Maybe what happened with people like me, pagz09, and mdurfa is that we have good stats, which gets us lots of interviews, especially at the top schools. At least for me, there's nothing else that's spectacular on my application, so I don't get that many acceptances.

i'm 19 out of 21! dammit! life sucks.

btw, i'm being totally absolutely positively serious.

0/10

i think u won:( :( but u seemed to have applied to mainly ivy leagues and "high-tier" schools...a little variety in school choices might have helped u out a bit cause ur stats are good.

neways, i'm 0A: 5 Interviews

2 for 4, still waiting to hear back from Baylor. Just remember, 1 for anything is all that matters.

i'm 19 out of 21! dammit! life sucks.

btw, i'm being totally absolutely positively serious.

Man, if your avatar wasn't so disarming I would hate you. 0 for 7

5 out of 7. For the missing 2, i haven't heard back yet!

I've been on 14 interviews over two years, and I have 2 acceptances this year and still waiting to hear back from one more school.

You can't call it a wall of shame if you get at least one acceptance. Some schools may accept roughly 50% of interviewees, but others maybe accept less, maybe 1/3? Anyway, you've got an acceptance, so you can relax.

Anyway, some applicants are going to have higher acceptance percentages than others. A top 5 undergraduate with a 40 MCAT is going to have more acceptances than a bottom 5 undergraduate with a 30 MCAT.

2 for 9. this process has left me very confused... it's great to have interviews at top schools, but i feel like they give out interviews to people they know they're not going to accept, and it's just false hope. and even a good interview won't change anything... i've had interviewers tell me that i was the kind of applicant their school was looking for, and then 2 months later i get a rejection. and i've gotten enough compliments to know that it's not my interviewing skills that's breaking my application (i even did a practice interivew at our careers office and they gave me the thumbs-up).

so, my question is, why bother to interview me? especially when it's a lot of money to fly out to (cough, cough) california... only to have your hopes and money drained. it's just a depressing pattern...

another somewhat related rant: i applied to a decent range of schools, got interview invites from practically all my reaches and from the "safeties" (yes, i know such a thing does not exist), but no one in the middle. and now, as expected, the top schools are saying no and the "bottom" ones said yes, so i wind up with this weird gap with the middle that i'd have been more than happy to go to. argh, i hate this process.

another somewhat related rant: i applied to a decent range of schools, got interview invites from practically all my reaches and from the "safeties" (yes, i know such a thing does not exist), but no one in the middle. and now, as expected, the top schools are saying no and the "bottom" ones said yes, so i wind up with this weird gap with the middle that i'd have been more than happy to go to. argh, i hate this process.

Exactly! I'm right there with you.

4/10, waiting on 5 still --> 4/15

2 for 9. this process has left me very confused... it's great to have interviews at top schools, but i feel like they give out interviews to people they know they're not going to accept, and it's just false hope. and even a good interview won't change anything... i've had interviewers tell me that i was the kind of applicant their school was looking for, and then 2 months later i get a rejection. and i've gotten enough compliments to know that it's not my interviewing skills that's breaking my application (i even did a practice interivew at our careers office and they gave me the thumbs-up).

so, my question is, why bother to interview me? especially when it's a lot of money to fly out to (cough, cough) california... only to have your hopes and money drained. it's just a depressing pattern...

That's odd that you didn't get interviews with your middles, but you did get interviews with your reaches. In hindsight, my reaches were a waste of time. Even though I thought at the time that interviewing meant that I had a good chance, it was essentially all predetermined. Other applicants had slightly higher numbers and they were going to get the acceptances all along. I don't mind the interviews. I only wasted 2 interviews on reaches.

A first year at one of the schools that I interviewed at was 1/14. It only takes one!

hey guys - thanks for the support! :) although i wish i didn't need it.

for clarity, i would be ridiculous to apply to only the schools i did. my stats are good, but not amazing. i also applied later (sept-oct).

the reason i applied to only these schools was because i already have an acceptance through an assurance program (which does allow you to apply traditionally as well). i thought i would try my luck at some other schools bc i wasnt sure i wanted to go through with the early assurance program. but if i didn't have that one acceptance, i would be crazy to choose my schools so narrowly! hopefully - something will pan out though! here's holding out for yale!! hopefully good news tomorrow. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Anyway, some applicants are going to have higher acceptance percentages than others. A top 5 undergraduate with a 40 MCAT is going to have more acceptances than a bottom 5 undergraduate with a 30 MCAT.

just to clarify, this statement isn't true. i got to a top ivy league school, have a 41 MCAT, and i'm currently in wait list hell on 9 wait lists. sure, i had some so-so interviews, and some really great ones too, but yet this is where i ended up.

you're right about the first part - some people have higher acceptance percentages than others. but the reasoning is more random, and this is why med school admissions is a pretty crazy process. some people get passed over by top schools and ignored by mid-range schools. for example, some of the top schools waitlisted me because they took people they like more, which is fine...and some of the mid-range schools (including some i'd really like to go to) waitlisted me probably because they don't think i'd actually be interested in going there. how wrong they are! so i get stuck on 9 wait lists...and it seems like a common occurrance.

update :

1/10!!!!!!!!! that's all you need!! and i don't care i am still the worst ratio winner! accepted at yale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

good luck!!!!! :luck: :luck:

thank you!!!!! good luck to everyone - don't lose hope!!!! :luck: :luck:

I echo the only needing 1 sentiment. While I think it's great that so many of us received multiple interviews, it seems a little insensitive to be complaining about multiple interviews leading to at least one acceptance especially given the caliber of the majority of schools represented by this thread! You can only go to one school.

3/4 not including waitlists or schools I withdrew from post interview. With waitlists its 3/5