Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmaozedong1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any funny interview answers or experiences that they would share for a good laugh?

I had a good one...

Interviewer: Hi how are you?
Me: Mehhh
Interviewer: *looks at me like I'm an idiot*
Me: *looks at him back with a puzzled look* :laugh:

about 5 minutes later...

Interviewer: So tell me about yourself.
Me: Ya know I like to go to school and learn as much as possible (I'm honestly wondering why I'm saying this.)
Interviewer: *Once again looks at me like I'm an idiot.

about 5 minutes later...

Interviewer: So dentistry requires you to work in small areas, can you tell me how you've prepared for that?
Me: Well I play a lot of sports and I think that might help.
Interviewer: Oh, well thanks for your time today. *shakes my hand* Thanks for coming and have a good flight home.

My interview was supposed to last 30 minutes...it barely went over 10. :laugh:

I got rejected from the school on Dec. 1st. :rolleyes:
Anyone else got any stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I did magic during my interview. Kinda random and could potentially backfire. Accepted on 12/1

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
I went blank at an interview when I got asked if I had any questions, so I asked what my chances were on hearing back Dec 1. She said pretty good and I ended up getting accepted December 1. Baller.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went blank at an interview when I got asked if I had any questions, so I asked what my chances were on hearing back Dec 1. She said pretty good and I ended up getting accepted December 1. Baller.

I think you're response sealed the deal honestly. Confident, but not too much:thumbup:

As I was saying my goodbyes after my interview had concluded, I attempted to put some papers away and my underwear fell out. :eek:

Rofl, that's ****ing awesome! Balls.

This thread makes me wonder if anyone goes to interviews after already having an acceptance (or being pretty sure of one), just to see what the interviewers will do based on them acting weird or obviously not taking the interview seriously. The OP's story, I just cannot believe, unless you were there under the aforementioned circumstances. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
OK if you guys remember this guy username xbocker?

This is the most awesome interview in the history of dental school interviews

Interviewer So tell me about your leadership experience?

Me (Very nervous at the moment, In my mind Im thinking I have to come up with something) Well Um I guess um hmm Well when I used to play Halo 3 online with my friends, I used to be the party leader that hosted the games and stuff (In mind mind, did I just take the biggest gun and shoot my self in the foot)

Inteviewer( blasts out laughing)

Me ( I should have smiled to make it seem like it was a joke, but I was too nervous and I had a serious look on my face)........

Interviewer Notices I had a serious look on my face and immediately stops laughing (In his mind, are you kidding me)

So then the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for him

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

LOLL

Reactions: 35 users
I forgot to zip my pant during my very first interview. My interviewer notified me about it. I notice she had a smirk on her face. After this incident, I ended up being even more nervous. All my answers sound ******ed. First question, please tell me about yourself. My one sentence answer, "Ummm...well...ummm...I'm a very happy person in general...umm...yeaaa..." :scared: lol....no idea what does that suppose to mean. December 1st, ended up on the wait-list.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, nothing crazy like the op, but for the sake of sharing...

At my first interview, at one point the interviewer asked me if I'd ever experienced cheating. Of course I start talking about an ex-girlfriend of mine and how she had made out with some of my friends, and how I suspected my last ex of cheating as well, at which point he stopped me and told me he was talking about in a classroom setting... Whoops!

Reactions: 37 users
Worst one I had:

I had just finished the interview and felt like I didn't do well. As I rejoined the group at the lunch line, we gossiped about the interview and well I went into a nervous ramble about my interview.

"So and so this and that. I was so stupid! Why did I say that! Ah well this is my first interview, so I guess its a learning lesson. I'll do better at the next one! No loss, it's not my first choice" (Tried to play it off -_-)

I turned around and "HELLO! Dr. SoandSo who had JUST interviewed me." :eek:

Result?

Rejected :laugh:

Worst one I had:

I had just finished the interview and felt like I didn't do well. As I rejoined the group at the lunch line, we gossiped about the interview and well I went into a nervous ramble about my interview.

"So and so this and that. I was so stupid! Why did I say that! Ah well this is my first interview, so I guess its a learning lesson. I'll do better at the next one! No loss, it's not my first choice" (Tried to play it off -_-)

Result?

lol...that's a funny one

I believe it was OracleDMD who said something like "the interview lasts the entire time you're there" or something along those lines.

Worst one I had:

Result?

Ouch, this just confirms my innate idea of leaving the place as soon as possible, I'll happily go eat somewhere off campus ;)

Reactions: 2 users
i forgot to maintain my posture, and ended up leaning forward with my elbows crossed on the table. a few minutes later i realized my rudeness, and awkwardly pulled myself back into position

also i was asked at nova, "are you ready to move here to florida?" i couldn't really bring myself to lie or fake enthusiasm, so i gave a hesitant "um...i'm definitely okay with it, but i have to check with my parents." no doubt that ended with a rejection, haha

Members don't see this ad :)
At my first interview, at one point the interviewer asked me if I'd ever experienced cheating. Of course I start talking about an ex-girlfriend of mine and how she had made out with some of my friends, and how I suspected my last ex of cheating as well, at which point he stopped me and told me he was talking about in a classroom setting... Whoops!

Awkward! LOL :thumbup:

I think that I fared better than some... but probably my worst interview question was: "So, come December, if you receive multiple offers how are you going to decide which school to attend?"

For some reason I had a hard time putting together a coherent answer. My honest answer was "I'll just look at the schools and how I felt about them as well as cost, and then choose a school". However I tried to flesh it out to sound all smart and stuff, and I started really rambling and making no sense. Should have been an easy question but it wasn't. And it turns out I did NOT get accepted to that school! :oops:

One of the professors that interviewed me had a list of question he asked his interviewees.

Q: Do you have any leadership experience?

A: Well, I am currently attending leadership seminars, but I have never really been in an actual leadership position.

Q: Okay, do you play any sports?

A: I'm part of the fencing and caving clubs at my school, we meet a few times a month.

Q: Alright, have you done any research?

A: ...No...

Q: Well, I'm all out of things to talk about, do you have any questions for me?

Another professor asked me this one question which he tried to squeeze as much out of me as possible.

Q: So what do you expect a dental school should provide for its students?

A: Well, I expect for the schools to have good teachers that can successfully explain the material and have the latest technology for the students to have experience with.

Q: What else?

A: Uhh, the students should have plenty of time working with patients during their time at dental school so they would have the confidence when they graduate to perform in the workplace.

A: Umm, uhh, we should also be taught the non-dental related, but still necessary aspects of the dentistry field. Such as the business side and how to communicate with patients successfully.

Q: Okay, what else?

A: Well uhh, lets see, professors should be able to explain the material, we should have access to the latest technology, we should have experience ...

Q: Alright, next question...

I just couldn't think of anything more to say :(

Last edited:
One of the professors that interviewed me had a list of question he asked his interviewees.

Q: Do you have any leadership experience?

A: Well, I am currently attending leadership seminars, but I have never really been in an actual leadership position.

Q: Okay, do you play any sports?

A: I'm part of the fencing and caving clubs at my school, we meet a few times a month.

Q: Alright, have you done any research?

A: ...No...

Q: Well, I'm all out of things to talk about, do you have any questions for me?

Another professor asked me this one question which he tried to squeeze as much out of me as possible.

Q: So what do you expect a dental school should provide for its students?

A: Well, I expect for the schools to have good teachers that can successfully explain the material and have the latest technology for the students to have experience with.

A: Uhh, the students should have plenty of time working with patients during their time at dental school so they would have the confidence when they graduate to perform in the workplace.

A: Umm, uhh, we should also be taught the non-dental related, but still necessary aspects of the dentistry field. Such as the business side and how to communicate with patients successfully.

Q: Okay, what else?

A: Well uhh, lets see, professors should be able to explain the material, we should have access to the latest technology, we should have experience ...

Q: Alright, next question...

I just couldn't think of anything more to say :(
Hmmm I wonder what type of answer he was trying to squeeze out of you, or were you not going into much depth with your answers, and he wanted to hear you talk more about yourself instead of just getting one sentence answers.

after we sit down and greet each other my interview says "i have your file here but i'm not going to look at it, you're just going to ask me questions..."

my reaction...
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
after we sit down and greet each other my interview says "i have your file here but i'm not going to look at it, you're just going to ask me questions..."

my reaction...

I hate those interviews. Seriously, whats up with them. It's like going on a date where the man doesn't say anything. You try to initiate conversations and he responds with one liners. Stupid waste of time. Thanks for flying me out, paying for hotels, and asking you silly questions -_-.

I hate those interviews. Seriously, whats up with them. It's like going on a date where the man doesn't say anything. You try to initiate conversations and he responds with one liners. Stupid waste of time. Thanks for flying me out, paying for hotels, and asking you silly questions -_-.

Everything has its reason. I think they did that because they want to see what your personality is.

If you are an introvert, the conversation will be very boring with real "interview" questions (one asks, one answer) and you would have a hard time to talk with them. If you are an extrovert, you would make the conversation fun and enjoyable. They wanted to see if you can start a conversation out of nowhere.

Think about... when you are a dentist, your patients usually do not say anything (scared mostly because you are the one who is holding the needle :) ). You have to be able to communicate with them, make them feel comfortable and everything etc. stuff like that.

just my $0.02 ;)

Everything has its reason. I think they did that because they want to see what your personality is.

If you are an introvert, the conversation will be very boring with real "interview" questions (one asks, one answer) and you would have a hard time to talk with them. If you are an extrovert, you would make the conversation fun and enjoyable. They wanted to see if you can start a conversation out of nowhere.

Think about... when you are a dentist, your patients usually do not say anything (scared mostly because you are the one who is holding the needle :) ). You have to be able to communicate with them, make them feel comfortable and everything etc. stuff like that.

just my $0.02 ;)

I feel ya, but I would say its different in another sense. As a dentist, you are in a position of power. You take the steering wheel and steer the course (Of course the patient has power with the money etc, but you get what I mean). With an interviewer, you have to maintain that the interviewer is still holding the "steering wheel and steering the situation."

With a patient, you can talk about the sports scene or how their kid is doing etc...I wouldn't have the nerve to ask the interviewer what he thought about the lakers game last night. It's mostly superficial talk about the school without treading on his shoes. He holds the power to reject you instantly.

Meh, I get what you're saying, but I think the situation of interviewer/student and doctor/patient is way different. Or maybe, I just suck with conversations :p

Last edited by a moderator:

my reaction...
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Are you talking about Dr. Norton at Creighton? I had a list of questions prepared for him :), but in the end, i felt like it was an expensive Q&A session (flights+hotels)

With a patient, you can talk about the sports scene or how their kid is doing etc...I wouldn't have the nerve to ask the interviewer what he thought about the lakers game last night. It's mostly superficial talk about the school without treading on his shoes. He holds the power to reject you instantly.

You can talk to the interviewer about those things too. One of my interviewers mentioned he and his wife had their 50th wedding anniversary recently and I asked if they did anything special, and we ended up talking about vacation spots and travel for a while. At another interview, Giants just won the World Series and I noticed my interviewer had a Giants lanyard so I started out the conversation with, "How 'bout them Giants!!" and it really pumped her up and put us both at ease. It shows you can be well-rounded and think about stuff outside of school...

On the other hand, I suppose the point of asking if you have any questions for them is to see whether or not you're the kind of individual that takes initiative when it comes to researching the school, the profession or dental education in general. If you're not curious about something, it just comes off like you don't really care about what you're getting into :laugh:

My first year applying, at my first interview, at my top choice school... I said penis in my interview, several times. I was trying to discuss a sex education activity I led as part of a college feminist group, not really thinking about how "penis registration" and "feminist" could possibly all come together to create a positive image for me as an applicant, given the connotations and almost complete lack of context! :oops:

Here's my best one. I have to preface it: I had a friend from my undergrad going there who knew my interviewer really well, and the interview was open file. Plus, the interviewer was partially deaf, which he didn't inform me of.

Int: I see you played college football. Tell me about that.

Me: (Talking in a normal voice, I notice the interviewer lean across the table toward me and cup his hand up to his ear). It was a great experience, it was fun to work with everyone else, help make each other better...

Int: (Cuts me off mid-sentence) Son, you're going to have to speak up. I'm partially deaf.

Me: (Talking a little louder) Ok no problem...

Int: I still can't hear you. REALLY speak up!

Me: (Now almost yelling) Ok, how's this!?

Int: I can hear you now. So, we already have a college football player here at school, why do we need another one (you)?

Me: You need a backup in case the first one doesn't play well or gets injured.

Int: (Likes the response, nods in approval, this was the only sign of good/bad in the whole interview). Your friend ——— and me and a bunch of students play basketball each week. Would I dominate you in basketball like I dominate ———?

Me: No, I hold my own in hoops.

Int: (Begins 40 minutes of Q & A about ethics. I'll just put a few of them in here) So, it's the day before a big game, and you're out with your best receiver, who steals something from the store. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to him and let him know I think he should return whatever he stole. I would let him take care of it and be responsible himself.

Int: What if he wouldn't?

Me: Well then I'd probably talk to our coach and notify him of the situation.

Int: (Switches topics without taking a breath) You're in your first year of school. Everyone shares old tests. You get a test, but you notice the date on top of it is for next week. It's a copy of the actual test. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to the student who got a hold of the test and let them know they should talk to the professor about it.

Int: Is it your responsibility to find out who got it?

Me: Ummm, I guess not.

Int: What you should do is just let the teacher know there's an actual copy of the test out so they can change it.

Int: Question after question about dental ethics now. Asking stuff about what to do if I see dentists overdiagnosing, perform poor work, etc.

Me: (I have no idea. Finally this is what I say): I have no idea what I would do in that situation because I don't know enough about dentistry yet. What would you do?

Int: (Leans back in his chair like he's pretty surprised that I would ask him that question) Well, I would...(explains his point of view)

Int: Well, our time is up (after 45 mins). Do you have any questions for me?

Me: Yeah. What are you trying to get out of this interview? (I'm pretty rattled by now but tying not to show it).

Int: I'm trying to see whether or not you are willing to learn, and whether or not I could tolerate having you as a student.

Me: And?

Int: I think I could tolerate it (doesn't show any sort of expression).

I was 95% sure I would be rejected there. Dec. 1 rolled around and I was, but then a couple weeks ago I ended up getting accepted but turning it down.

Anyway I know it's long but that's my interview story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here's my best one. I have to preface it: I had a friend from my undergrad going there who knew my interviewer really well, and the interview was open file. Plus, the interviewer was partially deaf, which he didn't inform me of.

Int: I see you played college football. Tell me about that.

Me: (Talking in a normal voice, I notice the interviewer lean across the table toward me and cup his hand up to his ear). It was a great experience, it was fun to work with everyone else, help make each other better...

Int: (Cuts me off mid-sentence) Son, you're going to have to speak up. I'm partially deaf.

Me: (Talking a little louder) Ok no problem...

Int: I still can't hear you. REALLY speak up!

Me: (Now almost yelling) Ok, how's this!?

Int: I can hear you now. So, we already have a college football player here at school, why do we need another one (you)?

Me: You need a backup in case the first one doesn't play well or gets injured.

Int: (Likes the response, nods in approval, this was the only sign of good/bad in the whole interview). Your friend ——— and me and a bunch of students play basketball each week. Would I dominate you in basketball like I dominate ———?

Me: No, I hold my own in hoops.

Int: (Begins 40 minutes of Q & A about ethics. I'll just put a few of them in here) So, it's the day before a big game, and you're out with your best receiver, who steals something from the store. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to him and let him know I think he should return whatever he stole. I would let him take care of it and be responsible himself.

Int: What if he wouldn't?

Me: Well then I'd probably talk to our coach and notify him of the situation.

Int: (Switches topics without taking a breath) You're in your first year of school. Everyone shares old tests. You get a test, but you notice the date on top of it is for next week. It's a copy of the actual test. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to the student who got a hold of the test and let them know they should talk to the professor about it.

Int: Is it your responsibility to find out who got it?

Me: Ummm, I guess not.

Int: What you should do is just let the teacher know there's an actual copy of the test out so they can change it.

Int: Question after question about dental ethics now. Asking stuff about what to do if I see dentists overdiagnosing, perform poor work, etc.

Me: (I have no idea. Finally this is what I say): I have no idea what I would do in that situation because I don't know enough about dentistry yet. What would you do?

Int: (Leans back in his chair like he's pretty surprised that I would ask him that question) Well, I would...(explains his point of view)

Int: Well, our time is up (after 45 mins). Do you have any questions for me?

Me: Yeah. What are you trying to get out of this interview? (I'm pretty rattled by now but tying not to show it).

Int: I'm trying to see whether or not you are willing to learn, and whether or not I could tolerate having you as a student.

Me: And?

Int: I think I could tolerate it (doesn't show any sort of expression).

I was 95% sure I would be rejected there. Dec. 1 rolled around and I was, but then a couple weeks ago I ended up getting accepted but turning it down.

Anyway I know it's long but that's my interview story.

Holy crap, that's a ****ing terrible interview, sounds more like a torture session. Why am I reading this crazy thread...

I sat down for one of my interviews and the only question I got was "So what do you want to talk about?" It kind of threw me off at first, but we ended up having a 40 minute conversation about sports, student life, things to do in the area, etc. I don't even think the word "dentistry" was said, and the only thing that was mentioned about the school was the diversity of the student population.

At one of the interviews I went on, a girl described something that had just happened in hers. She told our group that she wanted to be unique so she found a way to inject her experience of stretching a condom to replace a broken band on a machine. Pretty sure the only ones in the room assuring her that wasn't a bad thing to just blurt out at random were the ladies.

"So...Do you guys give a student discount on tuition?"

Anyone have any funny interview answers or experiences that they would share for a good laugh?

I had a good one...

Interviewer: Hi how are you?
Me: Mehhh
Interviewer: *looks at me like I'm an idiot*
Me: *looks at him back with a puzzled look* :laugh:

about 5 minutes later...

Interviewer: So tell me about yourself.
Me: Ya know I like to go to school and learn as much as possible (I'm honestly wondering why I'm saying this.)
Interviewer: *Once again looks at me like I'm an idiot.

about 5 minutes later...

Interviewer: So dentistry requires you to work in small areas, can you tell me how you've prepared for that?
Me: Well I play a lot of sports and I think that might help.
Interviewer: Oh, well thanks for your time today. *shakes my hand* Thanks for coming and have a good flight home.

My interview was supposed to last 30 minutes...it barely went over 10. :laugh:

I got rejected from the school on Dec. 1st. :rolleyes:
Anyone else got any stories?

hahahahahhahaa omg! hahahaa i'm dying i love this thread :thumbup:

My first interview. I was pretty nervous and was very disturbed by the interviewer head twitching problem. I was so weirded out when he continuously twitches his head.

he asked me: "what do u like most about dental field?"
me: (does he means dental procedures?*) "Uhm, implants."

little did i know he meant the dental profession as a whole. I thought about it after the interview. Nervousness definitely kicked my ass.

Rejected*

What a great thread! Fortunately, I didn't have anything go terribly wrong in any interviews, just a weird question that he repeated twice, probably because I didn't answer the question the way he wanted.

Keep them coming, hilarious!

Bump!
Tis the season

I loved that you bumped this because lately I've been reading the hilarious posts under this same thread in the pre-med forum (which has 2000+ responses) and I was thinking to myself "There should be one of these in the dental forum!"

Then when I saw this with only 33 responses here I thought "Damn, we need to catch up." :p

I loved that you bumped this because lately I've been reading the hilarious posts under this same thread in the pre-med forum (which has 2000+ responses) and I was thinking to myself "There should be one of these in the dental forum!"

Then when I saw this with only 33 responses here I thought "Damn, we need to catch up." :p
Haha same. It's great when I'm bored at work. That's why I found this thread :)
I want to contribute, but I'm just soooo good at interviewing that I don't have a story to add

Dear Interview Gods:
I promise that if I get an interview I will post all the embarrassing things I say so other people can laugh. But first I need an interview :naughty:

I've got one that I literally laughed out loud at.

At one of my interviews at the end of the day, one of the adcoms came out and asked our group "So how was the interviews?"

And I kid you not, someone responded with.

"It was way harder than what Student Doctor Network said, the questions were so different!!!!"

The Adcom just smiled and went on with the conversation and we all were thinking...I can't believe they just said that.

Reactions: 27 users

At one of my interviews at the end of the day, one of the adcoms came out and asked our group "So how was the interviews?"

"It was way harder than what Student Doctor Network said, the questions were so different!!!!"

The Adcom just smiled and went on with the conversation and we all were thinking...I can't believe they just said that.
H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh out loud haha

oh my gosh that gave me secondhand embarrassment

My strategy I am considering is (especially for a tell me about yourself topic) to go in with a small empty glass and have a bottle of water with me and pour it in and let it overflow a bit and the person(s) interviewing me will look at me confused and I am going to say "Oh sorry, I just like to put 110% into everything I do"

Reactions: 54 users
My strategy I am considering is (especially for a tell me about yourself topic) to go in with a small empty glass and have a bottle of water with me and pour it in and let it overflow a bit and the person(s) interviewing me will look at me confused and I am going to say "Oh sorry, I just like to put 110% into everything I do"

emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... Not gonna lie, not my proudest moment.

I was asked: what is a quality a dentist should have and tell me how you have this quality?

I answered: I think dentists should be honest and build a trustworthy relationship with patients...

The interviewer smiled and asked: ok, how do you have this quality?

Granted I regretted saying that and could not think of what to say.
I say: well... Umm, i don't know but like my mom hates it when any of my siblings or I lie so I'm always pretty honest....

Interviewer: holds back from laughing.
:shy::shy:

Reactions: 13 users