worst LAB class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorfan99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done with Microbiology lab.....ggrrr.. what a terrible lab! I put it off for the last semester for a reason.. Here at UF, the lab is located in the boondocks, none of the T.A.'s speak English are even KNOW what's going on!! I'm sure some of you guys had some terrible lab experience (aka- blowing up stuff in chem lab :laugh: ) , etc, so share it with us!

Members don't see this ad.

I broke a **** ton of glass in my organic lab. The department was apparently run by a bunch of nazis, so I had to pay out the wazoo to pull my apathetic A- in there.

I remember my second organic lab was THE WORST. I had this TA(who was actually kind of hot) that was refered to as the lab nazi. Even the other TAs hated her. Anyway, we had a Friday lab which meant that the chemicals were all contaminated(I could tell because stuff shouldn't be crystalizing before you mix it). Well, she liked to count off for yields, and oddly enough, her lab grades were a good 15% below the other TAs. She would also give difficult quizzes over stuff we hadn't covered lecture and she kept telling us, "Don't worry, you're grade is lower than the others, but at least you're really learning." What a bunch of crap. Sorry about all that venting.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were doing a standard reflux in organic lab, and this stupid guy beside me made a closed system out of it by putting this thermometer on top. Good thing the hood he was working in was closed!!

I think this affirms that we are all nerds for talking about this.

Genetics at Cornell has the worst lab ever. We had to complete a "fly lab." We were given a stock of mutant Drosophila with wild type, 3 mutant phenotypes, and several maker mutants. We had 8 weeks to determine mendelian qualities of the mutant genes (autosomes, x-linked, dominant, etc.) as well as mapping the genes to the chromosomes. It was horrible, we had to go to the lab almost every 8 hours to collect virgin flies. The worst part was scoring the progeny of the crosses we had to do. In the end, I scored around 3,000 flies for 6 traits each. I spent two full days (9am-8pm) at one point in the lab. It was HELL!

I also vote for ogro as my worst lab!!! i took the labs (and the class) in the summer... the WORST mistake of my life. we were there 4 days a week each day doing one experiment in 3 hrs period (you would get 5 hrs to do the same experiment during a regular semester). I broke something everyday :D

Biochem lab. When you start to run your affinity or size exclusion columns and at the same time, you have to UV spec. the fractions for protein activity, lab sucks. I remember it took me about 3 hours to run an affinity column with NAD+ ligand for a LDH protein sample, once, and I still didn't get pure protein, so I had to run a 75cm size exclusion column. Let me just say I got to lab at 6am and except for the two 30minute breaks during which someone else collected fractions for me, I stayed there until a good 10:30pm.