Worst Medical School Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
riceman04 said:
On which side of TMC? Main or Holcombe? The southern side is the beginning of a not so nice area (but not really bad). But you can get attacked anywhere

South side. Several years when I was there doing an elective, a couple of nurses reported being raped and everyone was warned about walking around the area alone.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory in the Dirty? Emory is in Decatur, 10 miles from Downtown ATL. It's in a pretty nice place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantasy Sports said:
The fastest growing states are in the south (Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia). And with good reason.

Yeah, here's your reason: Pure fact - dumber people have more kids over their lifetime than educated people.

Tiddly of Winks said:
SDN, why have you forsaken me?
Save it, nobody cares for your lathargy and wishful whims bro, what kind of lame point are you trying to make?

I like how people post negatively about cities in which they have never lived.

Here is my take on the cities in which I have lived.

Dallas: UTSW isn't in the best neighborhood, yet I never felt unsafe around Parkland. The city itself is a great place with a lot to do and generally nice weather all year.

Houston: The TMC is in an interesting location, but the city is a nice place. There are nice places and not nice places, but that is true for any city. Again, you can find a way to do most anything you want. The summers are kind of miserable, but the mild winters make up for it.

St. Louis: I actually like this city and don't know why it gets the bad rap it does. The Central West End is an awesome place. There is a lot to do here, too.

I guess the point is, each city has a lot to offer if you are willing to find it. There are safe neighborhoods and not safe neighborhoods in each. I wouldn't listen to people here posting about how bad cities are unless they are willing to qualify on what they base their opinions.

jbm44 said:
Just another something to do behind you computer desk for a few hours when your forearm gets tired.

Actually I don't need to worry about my forearm getting tired at my computer... your mom does the hard work for me.

Oh, wait, what are we talking about again?

I love the big sleazy. New Orleans is a fun town. Where else can you do your laundry and get a big fat drink for a dollar at 6am.

Ick....add Albany to that list. That town sucks.

Ahhhhh, nothing like being away from the comforts of suburban, middle class, cookie cutter, non-minority environments to get folks shaking in their boots. Seriously though, get to know these people you fear, they are often two or three quirks from being just like you...

...and by the way, Johns Hopkins has to be in the worst neighborhood in the US, and I get to say that because I lived there. And does hopkins care? No. Why? Because anytine they want to build a new biopark or cancer center, they can buy, condemn, and build at will all without a community objection. Take a place like George Washington in upscale Foggy Bottom, they cant even add a patio to the hospital without 200 angry residents protesting on the grounds it would change the "integrity" of the 'hood. To most it's like "who cares", but think about it, these places ain't in the hood for nuthin.....

Fantasy Sports said:
Actually I don't need to worry about my forearm getting tired at my computer... your mom does the hard work for me.

Oh, wait, what are we talking about again?
The fantasies never stop do they...

You type fast with one hand, you must have practice, lots of it. Practice, We're talking about practice, man...AI

What were we talking about again? This little man keeps distracting me (oh I know, in your fantasy profile it probably says your 6'4 linebacker, blah blah blah blah...)

Again, one could not pay me enough to live in/around St. Louis...

I'll pop 'lil Red...

:)

Miami might be cool just for the scenery...on South Beach.

I'm pretty sure if I could live anywhere, it would be a place with the climate of San Diego, the lifestyle of Lawrence, KS, be in/near mountains and lakes, and be in the central or mountain time zone.

Fantasy Sports said:
The reason you dont see UW or Oregon on this list is because no one cares about those universities. They might as well be in Alaska. And frankly, if they are full of ignorant fools like yourself, they might as well be.

The fastest growing states are in the south (Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia). And with good reason.

Fastest growing states? is that something to be proud of???? pathetic...Red states suck

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh good lord...

Now, Religious whackos, I'll agree with (they suck), but there are plenty of red, and blue states that are just fine...and some of each that just suck.

MDposer said:
Fastest growing states? is that something to be proud of???? pathetic...Red states suck
oh boy, what a dork... save your garbage and bigotry for some other forum. I thought you northeasterns were too high-minded to stoop to such an ignorant comment. Just leave bro, you are not wanted here.

jbm44 said:
St Louis? come on, you can't group the Lou in with Baltimore, and when compared with Detroit, St. Louis seems like Salt Lake. The have revamped the downtown and it is an easy commuter town.

Anyways, maybe your right, I am off to SLU if I don't get off of the UC's waitlists. I just had to prop up St. Louis a bit, its a great state for medicine. And it is more of a tourist city on its worst day than Detroit, Baltimore, Houston, (even Dallas), and anywhere else in the Midwest. Actually, I would visit St. Louis anyday over pretty much any east coast city other than New York, Boston, or Miami (and still live in Cali of course)....What about them Cardinals???

As a person who grew up in Missouri and still has a lot of good friends who live in St. Louis, I have to admit there are some nice places in that city. However, there are some really terrible areas (all of the Northside basically sucks and, of course, the Eastside). And, I'm sorry to tell you, but the area immediately around SLU definitely qualifies as a bad area. I have some friends who live near Kingshighway and the Hill and they have had two cars stolen from right in front of their house during parties. Even still, you could do worse than STL, but that doesn't mean it's a garden spot. Good luck with STL and enjoy the "exciting nightlife" of downtown.

sdnread said:
"exciting nightlife" of downtown.
Is this true or just some lame attempt at sarcarm? :laugh:

If you ever see the STL downtown at 5:15 any given night you will understand it is an attempt at sarcasm.

And, yes, the Landing near the dome is alright, but it's not exactly a hot spot of activity if you compare it with what other cities of the same size have to offer.

Anyway, STL definitely has its negatives, but it is still a city, so it wouldn't be like moving to Little Rock, AR.

I'm from Orange County, California...The Lou would be the farthest east I've ever lived..

jbm44 said:
I'm from Orange County, California...The Lou would be the farthest east I've ever lived..

Aren't you the same guy who said "if you want to visit a legit city, come to Southern California?" Or were you being sarcastic?

ctwickman said:
Aren't you the same guy who said "if you want to visit a legit city, come to Southern California?" Or were you being sarcastic?
:laugh: 200 miles of beautiful shoreline, some of the best breaks (that means waves, kook) and strong value in any property with endless staying power make the O.C. more legit than whatever place in Iowa that you are so pumped about.

Even if our baseball team can't even have their own city's name....

jbm44 said:
:laugh: 200 miles of beautiful shoreline, some of the best breaks (that means waves, kook) and strong value in any property with endless staying power make the O.C. more legit than whatever place in Iowa that you are so pumped about.

Even if our baseball team can't even have their own city's name....

I'll help you out before you get to St. Louis. It's not called "the Lou".

jbm44 said:

What do those qualities have to do with urbanity and city-life? Southern California is perhaps one of the lowest density major metropolitan areas of the country. You are completely tied to the automobile and even the major freeways don't have lights on them. I mean let's be real--we're talking millions and millions of people..... living in detached homes with garages hours from each other... and no one walking around on the streets. SoCal has many things going for it, some of which you mentioned. A strong pedestrian/urban life is certainly not one of them, however, and that is something most people in the world associate with the term "city."

And who said anything about Iowa?

come visit the brick city....don't get lost though. however, i have to admit though that its hard to tell a difference between pictures of temple's surrounding area and a war torn eastern european country

albany, ny was NOT fun

Kansas City is great! Mountains, oceans, temperate weather, hip cultural pursuits, low crime rate, nice restaurants, steamy nightlife and music scene... all 10 seconds away by teleporter.

Now,to invent the teleporter...

BEST POST YET! Thumbs down to all the "red state/blue state" haters.......what a completely ridiculous arguement..

ishaninatte said:
Kansas City is great! Mountains, oceans, temperate weather, hip cultural pursuits, low crime rate, nice restaurants, steamy nightlife and music scene... all 10 seconds away by teleporter.

Now,to invent the teleporter...

Kimberli Cox said:
South side. Several years when I was there doing an elective, a couple of nurses reported being raped and everyone was warned about walking around the area alone.

Oh yeah.... you really have to be careful over there.

sdnread said:
I'll help you out before you get to St. Louis. It's not called "the Lou".
:laugh: You are from St. Louis right? Or was all that way BS about how you were the expert on the city just what it smells like? I'll spell this out for you, there is this guy from St. Louis, he goes by Nelly even though thats probably a nickname for Nelson or something. Anyways, I'm not even into that stuff and I know the line "I'm from the Lu and what I do is the Lu thing"

I could list other examples, but who really cares? You're probably from Kirksville or something anyways so I guess that phrase didn't make it acrossed the farm fields to your place.

You got it? Sorry to interrupt you from your chat rooms and your Harry Potter book, I hope that cleared things up though.

jbm44 said:
:laugh: You are from St. Louis right? Or was all that way BS about how you were the expert on the city just what it smells like? I'll spell this out for you, there is this guy from St. Louis, he goes by Nelly even though thats probably a nickname for Nelson or something. Anyways, I'm not even into that stuff and I know the line "I'm from the Lu and what I do is the Lu thing"

I could list other examples, but who really cares? You're probably from Kirksville or something anyways so I guess that phrase didn't make it acrossed the farm fields to your place.

You got it? Sorry to interrupt you from your chat rooms and your Harry Potter book, I hope that cleared things up though.

Yeah, I am from St. Louis and I'm so surprised to hear you get all your information on pop culture and St. Louis from MTV and/or Carson Daly. Maybe you can bring your tricked out Honda from the valley, along with the newest Britney Spears album and really show all the bumpkins from the sticks how cool you are. On weekends you can make trips to Chi-town or Sea-town or whatever other stupid nicknames you've got up your sleeve. Anyway, I'm going to leave this alone...I don't want you to miss TRL today...I hear there is a new Nelly video you need to memorize so you can communicate in the Lu.

sdnread said:
... tricked out...QUOTE]
You really did just say that right?... :laugh:

Your own mayor called St. Louis "Nellyville" last year on a monday night football game in St. Louis, but I think that was the same night as that epic dungeons and dragons documentry was on so you missed it. Its cool, I'm not from there, I really don't know (or care), whatever.

How far is Kirksville to St. Louis by the way? Do you make the trip to the city often?

AStudent said:
Just keep your 40 close and your .45 closer and you should be fine.

Sincerely,

The City of Detroit

Haha, I like that :laugh:

sdnread said:
Yeah, I am from St. Louis and I'm so surprised to hear you get all your information on pop culture and St. Louis from MTV and/or Carson Daly. Maybe you can bring your tricked out Honda from the valley, along with the newest Britney Spears album and really show all the bumpkins from the sticks how cool you are. On weekends you can make trips to Chi-town or Sea-town or whatever other stupid nicknames you've got up your sleeve. Anyway, I'm going to leave this alone...I don't want you to miss TRL today...I hear there is a new Nelly video you need to memorize so you can communicate in the Lu.

Actually, St. Louis wanted to give Nelly the Golden Key to the city :laugh: Silly doctors wanting prestige.. Rap is where it's at.. ;)

sdnread said:
I just had to quote that entire thing again, this was awesome!...wow, look out everyone, this guy is using slang and being hip! My favorite is the Sea-town blast, what exactly is that?? Do you mean C-town or is that short for Seattle or what?

This is one of the funnest posts I've read in a long time. Nice try bro... :laugh:

jbm44 said:
I just had to quote that entire thing again, this was awesome!...wow, look out everyone, this guy is using slang and being hip! My favorite is the Sea-town blast, what exactly is that?? Do you mean C-town or is that short for Seattle or what?

This is one of the funnest posts I've read in a long time. Nice try bro... :laugh:

I guess sarcasm is just completely lost on you...isn't it. I will never be able to match up to your verbal prowess.