Worst school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you be your last choice school?

• Alabama

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • ASDOH

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Midwestern Arizona

• Loma Linda

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • UCSF

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pacific

• USC

Votes: 45 18.1%
  • Colorado

• Uconn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Howard

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Nova

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Florida

• Georgia

• Midwestern Illinois

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Illinois at Chicago

• Southern Illinois

• Indiana

• Iowa

• Kentucky

• Louisville

• Louisiana

• Maryland

• Boston

Votes: 32 12.9%
  • Harvard

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Tufts

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Michigan

• Detroit Mercy

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Minnesota

• Mississippi

• Missouri

• Nebraska

• Creighton

• Nevada

• UMDNJ

• Columbia

• NYU

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Buffalo

• Stony Brook

• UNC

• ECU

• Case

• Ohio

• Oklahoma

• Oregon

• Temple

• Upenn

• Pittsburgh

• Puerto Rico

Votes: 25 10.1%
  • MUSC

• Tennessee

• Meharry

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Baylor

• UTHSC

• San Antonio

• Roseman

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • VCU

• Washington

• West Virginia

• Marquette

• Total voters

AlbinoPolarBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, this is what we're waiting for. We've always talked about which schools are considered the best, but schools are considered the worst?

You don't need to give any details, as details will only lead to flame wars.
It can be for any reason you want, as it's personal preference on what school you wouldn't attend. Some reasons include:

1) It gives out a DDS instead of a DMD.
2) It's insanely expensive
3) It's a newly accredited school, no idea what to expect
4) Dentist who messed up your jaw went there
5) Weak alumni network
6) School's name doesn't sound sexy enough
7) Don't like the big classes since you want individual attention
8) Don't like small classes. You're a dick, so small classes will make you stand out negatively
9) School gives awful clinical experience
10) School's speciality rate too low
11) You wanna be general dentist, so you don't like the gunning environment
12) Too far away from home
13) Too close to home
14) Bad reputation on SDN (and this thread will add to that reputation)

And many others.

I'll keep the results anonymous, so vote with your heart.

Members don't see this ad.

On a related note, I need help making a decision guys. I got accepted to LECOM, BU, and USC. I already have been rejected from the Army, Navy, AF, and National Health Corps, so I will need to fund my entire education myself. I'm from Alaska, so I'm OOS for all of them.

What do I do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note, I need help making a decision guys. I got accepted to LECOM, BU, and USC. I already have been rejected from the Army, Navy, AF, and National Health Corps, so I will need to fund my entire education myself. I'm from Alaska, so I'm OOS for all of them.

did you try Whiche?

Blah, I went with the Wikipedia list and they totally left off LECOM.

Last edited:
Blah, I went with the Wikipedia list and they totally left off LECOM.

I heard that LECOM is starting to award a new dental degree, the D.O.M.D. - Doctor of Osteopathic Dental Medicine.

It's supposed to be a holistic approach to dentistry. I also heard that you take manipulation classes with the DO's so you can correct TMJ disorders.

If only ABP included LECOM, you could have let this poll be your decision maker. Looks like you are on your own bud:luck:

Lol, let the flame wars begin

Adult entertainment is your only option...

97MEy.gif

Bro, did you ever learn the alphabet lol? I would vote for LECOM if I could find it haha. Give a brotha a hint!

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with choosing the "worst" school is that no one has actually seen all of them (facilities, faculty, etc) so the schools with the worst GPA and DAT averages end up becoming the worst schools.

I took the list off Wikipedia, and the state that the dental school was in was listed alphabetically.

The problem with choosing the "worst" school is that no one has actually seen all of them (facilities, faculty, etc) so the schools with the worst GPA and DAT averages end up becoming the worst schools.

Not necessarily. ASDOH is on the lower end of the stats spectrum but it's definitely nowhere near the worst.

Why were you rejected from the military and NHC?

Many people do not have access to this information so they just go with their gut instincts.

I don't see the point of this thread. Unless it's to make some feel superior/inferior because of the schools to which they were accepted.

Offensive to say the least

I don't see the point of this thread. Unless it's to make some feel superior/inferior because of the schools to which they were accepted.

Offensive to say the least

I'd rather tell people the truth and let them know the perceptions about their school. Obviously, not every dental school is going to be great or even average. There's going to be good ones, average ones, and bad ones. Why is it a terrible thing to let students know what SDN views as inferior schools? If anything, it lets future predents be more scrutinizing during their interviews and ask more questions.

I'm completely against sweeping all negative opinions under the carpet and pretending every dental school is the greatest place on earth.

I'd rather tell people the truth and let them know the perceptions about their school. Obviously, not every dental school is going to be great or even average. There's going to be good ones, average ones, and bad ones. Why is it a terrible thing to let students know what SDN views as inferior schools? If anything, it lets future predents be more scrutinizing during their interviews and ask more questions.

I'm completely against sweeping all negative opinions under the carpet and pretending every dental school is the greatest place on earth.

The truth is that the only people that know if a school is bad or not are the dental students attending that school. I am sure everyone is going to chime in and give their opinion on certain dental schools, but the truth is they are basing their opinions on what other people are saying and by people who haven't even attended that school. Or maybe basing their opinion on the one day they visited the school. The only opinions that are worth anything are the ones that come from the dental students that have opinions on their own school.

Reactions: 1 user
The truth is that the only people that know if a school is bad or not are the dental students attending that school. I am sure everyone is going to chime in and give their opinion on certain dental schools, but the truth is they are basing their opinions on what other people are saying and by people who haven't even attended that school. Or maybe basing their opinion on the one day they visited the school. The only opinions that are worth anything are the ones that come from the dental students that have opinions on their own school.

I agree that the opinions from actual students carry more weight then anything else. But have you noticed that only certain schools have students that come on SDN and tell predents go somewhere else? I've never seen anyone from Penn, Harvard, UCSF, or wherever come on here and write scathing reviews. And they're not some random internet troll either because they have intimate knowledge of the school. A dental school has to push a dental student's button pretty hard if they go on SDN and discredit their future alma mater.

I agree that the opinions from actual students carry more weight then anything else. But have you noticed that only certain schools have students that come on SDN and tell predents go somewhere else? I've never seen anyone from Penn, Harvard, UCSF, or wherever come on here and write scathing reviews. And they're not some random internet troll either because they have intimate knowledge of the school. A dental school has to push a dental student's button pretty hard if they go on SDN and discredit their future alma mater.

I think what I have seen in the last couple of years are dental students saying to go to the cheaper dental school. They have not really been bashing their schools, only saying that if you have the option of a less expensive choice then take it.

Im surprised nyu only have 10 votes. If people read the thread about dont go to nyu thread maybe things will change

I think what I have seen in the last couple of years are dental students saying to go to the cheaper dental school. They have not really been bashing their schools, only saying that if you have the option of a less expensive choice then take it.

True to that. if you don't have any form of financial support go to the cheapest school. then go to a place that you will be happy to live for the next four years. that's my honest opinion.

:thumbup: But then what juicy gossip are we supposed to talk about before starting school?

hahah the schools with 1-5 votes were probably from the haters on the waitlist.

True to that. if you don't have any form of financial support go to the cheapest school. then go to a place that you will be happy to live for the next four years. that's my honest opinion.

Look up Howard's tuition. Or LECOM's. Even though they're cheaper, I'm pretty sure the majority of people on here would go somewhere else even if their choice was more expensive. There are exceptions to every rule.

And lol at Puerto Rico. C'mon guys, someone's gotta go to the island.

Look up Howard's tuition. Or LECOM's. Even though they're cheaper, I'm pretty sure the majority of people on here would go somewhere else even if their choice was more expensive. There's exceptions to every rule.

Just because pre-dents vote for a school doesn't mean its a bad school. Like I said, I wouldn't make a decision of attending a school based on what other pre-dents say. I would talk to actual dental students who attend that school. I would bet money that most of these votes are based on perception and not on actual research as in visiting the schools and talking with the students.

Just like a lot of you, I have been guilty of judging other dental schools and thinking that school is better or that I wouldn't ever go to "X" school. However, when all is said and done, we'll all graduate with a DDS/DMD. Sure, some schools might make it easier, or you might be more prepared when you graduate, but if you are serious about getting yourself a great education and advocate for yourself, you can be successful anywhere.
When close to 12,000 people are trying to get one of the 4,000 seats available, it's not like it's easy by any means to get an acceptance somewhere. I'm sure all those waitlisted and rejected people would gladly accept an offer from a "bad" school.

Ouch, Boston. You're lucky your Medical school keeps your reputation somewhat at bay.

I feel bad for Lecom. It's a brand new school with a horrible name.

btw, did you guys know Lecom will be opening up another dental school in Erie, PA? There will be 2 Lecom schools.

Lol at the 6 Harvard votes.

I hope those reading this thread know how completely inaccurate this poll is!

Maybe we're missing the 'Don't go to Harvard' threads.

It's totally accurate and fair. As I've stated, it's a matter of personal preference, no matter what the reason may be.

Not everyone has to be in love with Harvard.

It's totally accurate and fair. As I've stated, it's a matter of personal preference, no matter what the reason may be.

Not everyone has to be in love with Harvard.

Based on your guidelines, yes this poll is totally accurate. However, this thread is far more entertaining than it is substantive when considering the "quality" of a dental school. I think some of those who read this poll are going to misunderstand the results of it lol. Thats all :D

Harvard (in my opinion) is the only dental school that can actually 'wow' patients. Harvard's created such a worldwide name for itself that a DMD from Harvard can probably get you anywhere you set your mind to. There are some other great dental schools like Bereno's Uconn but Harvard is...Harvard. Even if they have a bad program your average citizen won't know that. From what I've heard, they place most of their students into a good specialty program. So I kind of have to take the poll results with a grain of salt as well. This is a great thread though.

Based on your guidelines, yes this poll is totally accurate. However, this thread is far more entertaining than it is substantive when considering the "quality" of a dental school. I think some of those who read this poll are going to misunderstand the results of it lol. Thats all :D

Misunderstand that the school has a bad reputation?

Reputation is based on what other people think, and this poll provides that information. Whether the quality of education, cost of attendance, weather, or any other reasons, had a factor on that reputation was up to the voter. Maybe some factors are of greater significance to the voter, but the factors were not asked in this poll.

With regards to reputation, the poll does not lie.

Harvard (in my opinion) is the only dental school that can actually 'wow' patients. Harvard's created such a worldwide name for itself that a DMD from Harvard can probably get you anywhere you set your mind to. There are some other great dental schools like Bereno's Uconn but Harvard is...Harvard. Even if they have a bad program your average citizen won't know that. From what I've heard, they place most of their students into a good specialty program. So I kind of have to take the poll results with a grain of salt as well. This is a great thread though.

You didn't bash, or cleverly insulted any schools in this post, and you've also complimented two schools.

We've already had the discussion on the best schools.

Wrong thread buddy :)

Reputation is based on what other people think, and this poll provides that information. Whether the quality of education, cost of attendance, weather, or any other reasons, had a factor on that reputation was up to the voter. Maybe some factors are of greater significance to the voter, but the factors were not asked in this poll.

Have u considered trolls who pick whatever since it's an anonymous poll lol

lol I think the poll does "lie" though. The results here are far from accurate. Those that are answering this poll are not going to be able to accurately predict the quality of a school. Reputation does not equal quality. Especially on such a fad-crazed, troll saturated forum as this!

I'm not trying to bash the thread - I find it funny and interesting. :D I'm just saying that there is not much useful information to be refined from it.

lol I think the poll does "lie" though. The results here are far from accurate. Those that are answering this poll are not going to be able to accurately predict the quality of a school. Reputation does not equal quality. Especially on such a fad-crazed forum as this!

I'm not trying to bash the thread - I find it funny and interesting. :D I'm just saying that there is not much useful information to be refined from it.

You're correct. It's foolish to equate reputation (the purpose of this poll) to quality of education.

You didn't bash, or cleverly insulted any schools in this post, and you've also complimented two schools.

We've already had the discussion on the best schools.

Wrong thread buddy :)

Haha, well my only wish is that we could somehow tally the Lecom votes.