Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everybody, it's my first time on sdn and I just need an opinion because I'm really devastated and I'm at a loss of what to do.

I know my stats are nowhere near stellar: 3.5 overall GPA/3.4 science GPA

And here's the real killer: I took the MCATs 4 times.

26P, 26Q, 27O, and my last one was a 34Q.

I know how bad it looks to take it four times, and I know that I should have been more careful the first few times (biggest regrets). I am taking two years off and graduated from a pretty elite college. Do you think there's any chances of me getting into an allopathic school SOMEWHERE in the country? I am a new york resident by the way. But honestly I wouldn't care where I go--as long as its not a carribean, and I really prefer not to go to a D.O school.

So what are my chances of getting in SOMEWHERE after stupidly taking the MCAT 4 times?

:(:(:( *so sad*

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey everybody, it's my first time on sdn and I just need an opinion because I'm really devastated and I'm at a loss of what to do.

I know my stats are nowhere near stellar: 3.5 overall GPA/3.4 science GPA

And here's the real killer: I took the MCATs 4 times.

26P, 26Q, 27O, and my last one was a 34Q.

I know how bad it looks to take it four times, and I know that I should have been more careful the first few times (biggest regrets). I am taking two years off and graduated from a pretty elite college. Do you think there's any chances of me getting into an allopathic school SOMEWHERE in the country? I am a new york resident by the way. But honestly I wouldn't care where I go--as long as its not a carribean, and I really prefer not to go to a D.O school.

So what are my chances of getting in SOMEWHERE after stupidly taking the MCAT 4 times?

:(:(:( *so sad*
What are your EC's. Your fourth MCAT was pretty high, congrats. You should be alright.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Why are you "devastated"? You should be ecstatic about your new score. Congratulations. I'll assume your ECs are terrific since you've had some extra time to beef them up. For sure I think you'll get in somewhere. It will be at one of the schools that looks at the most recent score rather than one that averages the subscores together. Since you don't know which is which, of course apply broadly.

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
4 times is not good but its not bad either. What would have been bad is if your score remained the same or went down. now that would have been really bad.

congrats on your new score and good luck!

OP
J
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you everybody,

it really means a lot to hear your opinions because I thought I was pretty much a lost cause. My EC's are pretty decent I guess? Lots of shadowing while I was in college (my dad is a physicians so I followed him around), volunteered for Hospices, hospitals, leadership positions in clubs geared towards community service, 3 years research experience (hopefully a publication soon), bioethics trips to Thailand to learn about public health, etc.

Since my science GPA is a 3.49 actually, I'm going to take a biochemistry course to prove that I'm not an idiot in orgo (which screwed over my GPA) and pull it up to a 3.5. And I'm actually not applying this year because I think it's a bit late for my poor stats. But since hopefully this means I can apply early June next year. I know this is what I really want to do and I hope to prove it. Thanks for the encouragement =)

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you everybody,

it really means a lot to hear your opinions because I thought I was pretty much a lost cause. My EC's are pretty decent I guess? Lots of shadowing while I was in college (my dad is a physicians so I followed him around), volunteered for Hospices, hospitals, leadership positions in clubs geared towards community service, 3 years research experience (hopefully a publication soon), bioethics trips to Thailand to learn about public health, etc.

Since my science GPA is a 3.49 actually, I'm going to take a biochemistry course to prove that I'm not an idiot in orgo (which screwed over my GPA) and pull it up to a 3.5. And I'm actually not applying this year because I think it's a bit late for my poor stats. But since hopefully this means I can apply early June next year. I know this is what I really want to do and I hope to prove it. Thanks for the encouragement =)
You'll be fine. Four times is not a problem since you didn't have all four at 26-27. Yes, it is rare, but a 34 will do the job.

I'd take more classes than just biochem, and pull that GPA as close to 3.6 as possible. And then, yes, apply early next year - you should expect multiple interviews, which often means acceptance is yours to lose.

OP
J
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all,

I just wanted to update everyone, especially those out there who were in my situation, that there is hope. I just got into medical school last week! And throughout the process I received 5 interviews. If I interviewed better I probably would have had more acceptances...but the point is, not all is lost! 3.5 cum GPA, 3.4 sGPA, taking the MCAT 4 times, lots of perseverance and some prayers = achieving your dream. =D

MedAdComMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Academic Administration
Hello all,

I just wanted to update everyone, especially those out there who were in my situation, that there is hope. I just got into medical school last week! And throughout the process I received 5 interviews. If I interviewed better I probably would have had more acceptances...but the point is, not all is lost! 3.5 cum GPA, 3.4 sGPA, taking the MCAT 4 times, lots of perseverance and some prayers = achieving your dream. =D
Congrats! Please share with us the schools you applied, interviewed, and accepted at? Is this your first cycle?

Monocles

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2011
Boston, MA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hello all,

Congrats! And thanks for coming back to update us! :)

ozzi22

it's over 9000
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2010
dallas tx
Status
this thread is full of win. congrats OP :thumbup:

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't say these are the worst stats ever, but mad props. Great perseverance. Good luck, OP.

OP
J
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Just an update for everyone =)

I was on the waitlist for 4 schools, rejected everywhere else. I was NOT on the high priority for stony brook or suny upstate.

I got an acceptance from University of Kentucky College of Medicine in late May.

Today, I just got an acceptance from Stony Brook!! Will be attending Stony Brook!! I've waited for this moment since 2 years ago...YAY!!!!!:):):)