worth filing for aid that requires parental data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inundated

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth filing for aid that requires parental tax info if your parents make more than $100K? I'm refering to things like NeedAccess and TAP (for NY residents).

I remember filing for these sorts of things for college and I spent a lot of time only to get completely turned down by every one. When I got to college people laughed at me for even trying to get aid from these sources when my parents made over $100k.

Is there some kind of minimum loan that these groups will give me for medical school or like before, is it not even worth trying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd prefer not to involve my parents if possible. I'll take the loans on myself, thank you very much.

yeah me too. well wait, no actually I'd love it if my parents (or anyone at all for that matter) paid for my medical education, but they won't.

But the real issue here is that for me to get some of these loans parental financial information is required. I'm wondering if I have any chance of them actually granting me anything with my parents' data on the apps though.

any experienced folks have any input on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat and would like to know. I decided not to fill out that portion on FAFSA, but am a little scared. When I was at my Rush interview they said people who's parents make a combined $60,000 or lower usually get institutional loans. I'm guessing that parent's combined income of $100,000 or more would not have a chance, but I am by no means an expert. Anyone know??

Call the Financial Aid Office for the school in question. Much of these decisions are at their own discretion. I have found the aid counselors to be very helpful and forthcoming.

Originally posted by Blade28
I'd prefer not to involve my parents if possible. I'll take the loans on myself, thank you very much.

Well they're just asking for your parents info, your parents don't actually take out the loan, you still would. They just want to see if you have exceptional need (they base some of this off whether or not parents would be able to help pay, theoretically that is) I think all of that is kind of aggravating since a lot of people by the age of 24+ really aren't getting money from their parents or as somebody else said can't get money from them, but I know they do this because of people with lots of $$$ who are able to do this. Oh well, bring on the loans/debt!!

Josh

Originally posted by jtessier
Well they're just asking for your parents info, your parents don't actually take out the loan, you still would. They just want to see if you have exceptional need (they base some of this off whether or not parents would be able to help pay, theoretically that is) I think all of that is kind of aggravating since a lot of people by the age of 24+ really aren't getting money from their parents or as somebody else said can't get money from them, but I know they do this because of people with lots of $$$ who are able to do this. Oh well, bring on the loans/debt!!

Josh

Hmmm...weird. I never gave my parents' info, but am still able to max out the Stafford/Perkins loans.

Stafford and Perkins are seperate. You can still get Perkins without your parents info sometimes depending on how much funding your school has. It is a federally based program created for students who show excessive financial need. The money is actually provided by the school though (ie they're the lender). They usually require parental info, however, if they have lots of funding they will sometimes begin to go down the pecking order (I actually received one also without parents date for my MS degree, but we don't have a huge grad program here). Regardless though the main point I was trying to make is that you are considered independent as a professional student, so providing your parents info doesn't mean they will actually be taking out loans (they could if they like to), but some schools like to have you fill this info out so that they can establish what they consider "excessive need".:)

Josh