Worth it to send letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just interviewed at a UC yesterday and at this point, it is my number one choice. I made sure to give solid reasons for why i want to attend their school when asked but I don't know if it would be worth it to send a letter of intent post II.

I currently have 3 acceptances, 1 at another UC but i dont want the letter to backfire for some reason because I am showing my cards. Any help on what I should do is much appreciated.

Part of me just wants to leave it and not say anything because that's what I did post II for all my other acceptances but I really want to get into this school!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fine to send them a letter detailing why you are a great fit for them (not just why you like their school). Some schools like these - many don't care. I'm not sure what this UC likes or your competitiveness for this school in particular. You won't get your acceptances at your other 3 schools withdrawn by sending another school a LOI if that is what you mean by 'backfiring'.

Writing a LOI without mentioning names of other acceptances isnt worth the time or effort to bother with
Out of curiosity why does naming the other schools matter so much? Like how is it relevant to how you’d be an asset to their school?

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity why does naming the other schools matter so much? Like how is it relevant to how you’d be an asset to their school?
If they see a comparably ranked (or better yet higher ranked) school accepted you yet you still want to go to their school then they may take another hard look at your application and prompt them to extend an acceptance.

I'll let Alec Baldwin take the lead in explaining the underlying psychology of this phenomenon. Note: In this case, having a ring is like having a med school acceptance.