Worth Retaking Gen Chem 2 and PHysics 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumboolia

=)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My situation is as follows...
I'm a 2nd year PharmD student and plan on applying to medical school my senior year so that I can matriculate in the fall after graduating from the pharmD program. I did the 2 year undergrad so I will have an AA and PharmD (no bachelors). A lot of the premed requirements are the same as my prepharm requuirements.
I took my Gen Chem 2 with lab and physics 1 with lab at a community college back at home over the summer (transfered credits) and was wondering if it would beneficial to retake them at the university level. I got A's in both classes but I got a C+ in physics 2 when I came back to the university. With chemistry I've recieved A's in organic and biochem, and gen chem 1 at the university...as well as recieving A's in medicinal chemistry courses (PharmD course) My premed advisor said that my undergrad is a done deal and that i should just focus on making good grades during pharm school and maybe taking a math class ...however i spoke with admissions at UF and the person mentioned that retaking the chem 2 and physics 1 would make me more competitive..while admissions at USF said that it would be silly.
So I basically wanted to get some more opinions...input...feedback...anything really.
thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

My premed advisor said that my undergrad is a done deal and that i should just focus on making good grades during pharm school and maybe taking a math class

One C+, in the general sence, is not an app killer. CC courses, in the general sense, are not app killers. But when you get down to specific schools you're not talking in the general sense anymore. Obviously UF values retakes. USF apparently feels subsequent strong coursework is the best remediation.

So in the general sense I agree with your premed advisor. I chose not to repeat my C in Chem from years ago and am completely happy with that decision. It's a balancing act and as you've discovered each medical school places different values on different parts of your application.