Worth submitting a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdpls!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was deferred by my top choice in November after interviewing in October. They started sending out final decisions last week, and for some reason I have not heard back yet. I am wondering if this potentially means they are still on the fence about me (but equally likely I'm just a neurotic premed overthinking) and just haven't heard for some other reason

I have so far sent them 2 letters of interest with significant updates (in November and January), and I am wondering if it is meaningful to submit a third letter now flat out stating my intent to matriculate if admitted. Idk if this is a good idea though, since I don't want to come across as desperate or annoying (especially after having already sent 2 letters), but they are truly my dream school and I would do anything to go.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you only expressed continued interest in the other two letters and didn’t expressly state your intention to matriculate at that school if accepted then I think you should absolutely write up a LOI. I don’t believe you would come across as desperate at all. Letting an adcom know you are committed to their school should help your cause, or at worst be neutral. I was told by a MD director of admissions that 4-6 weeks between letters is a good way to show interest without being “too much” which you are following! Good luck!

I was deferred by my top choice in November after interviewing in October. They started sending out final decisions last week, and for some reason I have not heard back yet. I am wondering if this potentially means they are still on the fence about me (but equally likely I'm just a neurotic premed overthinking) and just haven't heard for some other reason

I have so far sent them 2 letters of interest with significant updates (in November and January), and I am wondering if it is meaningful to submit a third letter now flat out stating my intent to matriculate if admitted. Idk if this is a good idea though, since I don't want to come across as desperate or annoying (especially after having already sent 2 letters), but they are truly my dream school and I would do anything to go.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
All you're doing is telegraphing your neediness.