Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by dentite001, Apr 15, 2004.

1. dentite001

dentite001 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello,

I'm brand new to these forums. I'm at a bit of a cross-roads. I'm 24 and just graduated with a joint BA in Rec and Leisure and Psychology. I'm considering dental school but would like some input.

1) Can I get in? My overall average was 81%. I don't know the gpa. I'm curious as to whether that would be competitive for American schools. I still need to do the science courses.
    2) Is it worth the effort? Is dental school interesting and once you get out what is it like? My own dentist is a real tight ass. I've heard suicide rates are high among dentists. If its lots of stress than no thanks. I already have an easy job that pays about 55K a year. What I fail to mention is that it is kind of boring. What I seek out of life is BALANCE.

Cheers,
    dentite001

2. Quick Slvr

Quick Slvr Member
    7+ Year Member

The reason why i am going in to dentistry is because, I simply like the job. I love working with patients, the income is very comfortable, once established you can own you own practice and be your own boss and i could go on and on. I think the best thig to do is to go and volunteer at a dental clinic to see if you can see your self doing the daily tasks that dentists do and being happy while diong it.