Worth to delay 2 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking 8/17, but I'm not sure if I should take it then. If I delayed it, it would probably be 8/31

My scores:
FLs
Kaplan: 504, 506, 505
AAMC: S 509 (124/130/127/128) (2 weeks ago), FL1 510 (127/126/128/129) (>1week ago)
NS: 508 (128/125??/127/128) (1 week ago)
I have FL2 and 3 still

Section bank: C/P 64% (half done 2 weeks ago, will finish this soon) B/B 75% (half done 2 days ago, will finish soon) P/S 75% (all done)
QPacks: chem 80% physics 87% bio 77 and 83% CARS 78 and 83% (most of these done this week)

If I do delay, I would probably get NS or UWorld and hammer them through. I have trouble timing for C/P and B/B rn.

I'm also considering burning through FL2 before 8/2 (last day to delay) to see if I can get at least a 515, and decide then to delay if I don't improve.

Goal is 520, mostly because Im trying to make up for low GPA

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with @google12. Although it's not impossible to gain points quickly, it's just much harder to do when you're already scoring fairly high as you are. Although you could make some improvements in 2 weeks, I think it would probably be fairly difficult to get into the 520 range. However, I also believe a 515 is feasibly possible with the extension and that would be an amazing score as well. The biggest thing with extending is ensuring that you finish all of the aamc material before your exam and have time to thoroughly review it.

If you're going to extend, I wouldn't cram in FL2 and instead just take your time and take it and review it thoroughly after finishing the rest of the section bank material. I hope that helps! Don't get discouraged at all, you may not be able to reach your goal score, but you have a great opportunity to get a spectacular score that'll open up many doors to medical for you. Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any questions at all!

Reactions: 1 user
Again, I agree with the Googly, with those kinds of practice scores you're likely 512-516 real deal. (Assuming you don't freak out and sink it day of)

Thanks for all your responses! I'm leaning towards delaying to 8/31, but school starts 8/26 for me so I guess that week will be a little hectic. Oh well, I think that would be preferred over dragging it to after labor day weekend. That would give me 4ish weeks (1 w classes) vs the 2+ weeks I have now (yikes). I think I just need more practice because content-wise I think Im pretty good.

Would people recommend me getting UWorld now? I think I can finish it in 2 weeks, prioritizing the science sections bc I have trouble understanding passages. AAMC-wise I have done everything except the last half of C/P and BB SBs, OG, Fl2-3, and flashcards. Hopefully that will allow me to substantially improve from the 510

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: did delay 2 weeks and did pretty much all of UWorld (-cars) for these past 2 weeks 12+hrs a day. Finished SBs and OG beginning of this week. Took FL2 yesterday (exactly a month after FL1) under strict testing conditions, my heart was beating like crazy, but got a 521 (131/129/130/131)! Didn't think I was ever gonna see improvement, but it's possible! Now just have to keep it up for this final week before test day :)

Reactions: 3 users
98 % of test takers score at or below a 520. So regardless of when you take your test, the chances of achieving that are slim. AAMC exams are exceptionally accurate at predicting test day scores, and I am no exception. I scored 1 point better than the AAMC averages. I highly doubt that 2 weeks will be enough to raise your score to 515+. I postponed the MCAT a full year to bring CARS from a 121 to 126 actual.

What does your GPA look like? As many informative ADCOM members here have stated exhaustively, a good MCAT does not compensate for a poor GPA, and vice versa. You could very well be a great candidate for DO schools. For reference, in my current job I work with both MD and DO physicians, and they are equally great and passionate at what they do with no distinction aside from the letters at the end of their name. Additionally, without giving away too much detail, they practice in what many consider a competitive specialty.

98 % of test takers score at or below a 520. So regardless of when you take your test, the chances of achieving that are slim. AAMC exams are exceptionally accurate at predicting test day scores, and I am no exception. I scored 1 point better than the AAMC averages. I highly doubt that 2 weeks will be enough to raise your score to 515+. I postponed the MCAT a full year to bring CARS from a 121 to 126 actual.
I think you meant to say 98% of test takers score below 520...but anyways I don't see the point of you discouraging SleepingPillow's attempt to reach that goal even if the chances are small (aim high and land among the stars). He/she demonstrated a large improvement on AAMC FL 2 after drilling UWorld, SB, and the Official Guide. So a decent MCAT score is possible.

I think you meant to say 98% of test takers score below 520...but anyways I don't see the point of you discouraging SleepingPillow's attempt to reach that goal even if the chances are small (aim high and land among the stars). He/she demonstrated a large improvement on AAMC FL 2 after drilling UWorld, SB, and the Official Guide. So a decent MCAT score is possible.

Never meant it to be discouraging, just realistic. I believe everyone should aim high, and if OP does reach that goal, great.

Never meant it to be discouraging, just realistic. I believe everyone should aim high, and if OP does reach that goal, great.

With your point on AAMC being predictive, wouldn't a 521 on Fl2 put 520 in the "realistic range", with it being taken after most of AAMC materials, a lot closer to exam date and under testing conditions? If you want to put 510 (which I took a month ago) in there, the average would still be 515. Of course, I know real deal may be different and anything can happen, but I think at this point I know what's possible for me (doesn't mean it's certain)

With your point on AAMC being predictive, wouldn't a 521 on Fl2 put 520 in the "realistic range", with it being taken after most of AAMC materials, a lot closer to exam date and under testing conditions? If you want to put 510 (which I took a month ago) in there, the average would still be 515. Of course, I know real deal may be different and anything can happen, but I think at this point I know what's possible for me (doesn't mean it's certain)

I think if all of your AAMC scores were within that range it would be more predictable, but that is purely my opinion. I think the 521 is great, but based on the info given of other performance (AAMC only not 3rd party) its difficult to tell if this score is a reflection of hammering out practice questions or chance. Going off of what @google12 mentioned, quality practice is far more important that quantity of practice. Also remember to give yourself time off from preparing, prepping/cramming for 12 hours could lead to burnout which would be really bad considering how close it is to your test day.

I think if all of your AAMC scores were within that range it would be more predictable, but that is purely my opinion. I think the 521 is great, but based on the info given of other performance (AAMC only not 3rd party) its difficult to tell if this score is a reflection of hammering out practice questions or chance. Going off of what @google12 mentioned, quality practice is far more important that quantity of practice. Also remember to give yourself time off from preparing, prepping/cramming for 12 hours could lead to burnout which would be really bad considering how close it is to your test day.

I don't know why you insist on taking the pessimistic view, maybe it's based on your own experience, but ok. I think it is much more probable that after going through UWorld, reading through explanations and adding questions missed to anki with discipline, that the score was a result of hard work and perseverance, and not letting opinions of strangers affect my confidence and performance. And if you think getting 520+ by chance is possible, then I'll have to disagree with you

For anyone reading this in the future, DON'T let SDN get you down. Keep going at it and practicing, chances are that it will pay off. I doubted myself so much after reading responses here and honestly should've never posted here in the first place. But, feels good to come back and prove them wrong!

Actual: 519

Not quite 520 but whatever

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone reading this in the future, DON'T let SDN get you down. Keep going at it and practicing, chances are that it will pay off. I doubted myself so much after reading responses here and honestly should've never posted here in the first place. But, feels good to come back and prove them wrong!

Way to ****ing go!

Awesome job! And I agree with your comments. SDN can be extremely depressing at times and will make you question your self worth, which stinks but it's just really distracting noise. The best approach is to only focus your attention on specific and valuable advice from experts and top scorers (the stickied threads become invaluable for this since they help narrow your search) and just work really hard to get what you want.

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody here knows you better than you know yourself, so it’s always best to take advice with a grain of salt. Looks like delaying paid off big for you, OP. Congrats on murdering the MCAT

Awesome job man!

Awesome job! And I agree with your comments. SDN can be extremely depressing at times and will make you question your self worth, which stinks but it's just really distracting noise. The best approach is to only focus your attention on specific and valuable advice from experts and top scorers (the stickied threads become invaluable for this since they help narrow your search) and just work really hard to get what you want.
I strongly agree!

Congratulations! Your path to helping people is as bright as your future.

See you in the clinic!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors