Would 10m liquid assets and being under 50 be enough for you to walk away or would you miss it too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalpsychyear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to achieving that number at an age ( sub 50) where you can still maintain nearly all of your physicality how many would continue to work for the pure joy in the OR vs finding a new endeavour teaching, mission work, travel etc. I think its widely assumed that no one is going to flat out retire and plop their feet on the couch and let their brains rot from streaming, facebook, and tik tok.

Members don't see this ad.

Different field, but there are two correct answers. Walk, and walk faster.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I know several people like that. They are still younger. Kids grown.

People still work 2-3 days a week in the operating room to fight boredom. We are taking age 45-48 year olds. Even my 59 year old colleague works to fight boredom. He’s skiing 3 months in a row at his place in Colorado.

Even non medical guys I know independently wealthy selling their business. They still their hands in different business ventures

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy hell. Walk. Get a f’ing hobby to occupy yourself. I would walk with half that much.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a great time at work everyday. I get the joy from meeting people/patients, engaging with like minded colleagues, making complex decision, putting tubes in things. On top of that I get to be a “business owner” as a partner in my group, and I learn more about that everyday.

That said I’m a ripe old 38. Ask me again after taking call for 12 more years. But I would definitely miss it. I do however, hope to stop sleeping at the hospital at some point this side of 50.

Reactions: 4 users
I had the fortune of facing this dillemma over a decade ago. I previously thought I would walk. The funny thing is that when you face that choice. Things get really real. What are you going to do with all that time? Will I be fulfilled? Will I just let myself go to SH%T. So I did what I thought was the logical thing, I went part time.

I have always had my identity outside of medicine. Endurance athlete and backcountry snowboarder is what my identity was. I thought with all the extra time, I would be living the sweet life. And I was. Travelling internationally to take part in L'Etape De Tour, Strade Bianchi, Niseko, etc. But I hate to admit it but I needed some work. Work was like my fitness routine. Not enjoyable per se but the anvil in which I had to sharpen my body and soul. The hardwork leads to personal growth and self actualization.

When you face a life of lesuire, you get into this weird philosophy dilemma. Like what does it all mean? What is life for? Everyone comes up with a different answer. Mine was that I needed to live a balanced life. I needed fun, relaxation, but I also needed some structure. Needed to do some heavy lifting in order to keep myself fit.

Believe me I was surprised with my answer. I have always been a guy who optimized d$/dtime. I thought I was gone. But here I am over a decade later, still in the OR passing gas. (of course I'm doing it on my terms and it's a choice not a necessity)

Reactions: 16 users
Just to clarify I am not at this number but depending on the stock market in the next several years it is possible so its good to start having some of these discussions for those that have already gotten there. The other odd thing is whatever i considered a "great" NW number to achieve in 2016 when i started, maybe thanks to all the money printing, once i achieved that seems low. Obviously the value of 10m today is not what it was in 2014 and it will be even less in 2034 so there is some desire to reach it sooner than later while it still holds ultimate financial freedom.

Again, for now I am in a DINK situation which will change later this year but spending 120-150k right now without any restrictions is kinda our baseline living in the midwest. 10m even at a 3 percent withdrawal rate is 300k which I'm not fancy enough to ever spend and likely will donate it to charities or causes i believe in or help family and friends out without ever really discussing my financial situation.

Curious as to achieving that number at an age ( sub 50) where you can still maintain nearly all of your physicality how many would continue to work for the pure joy in the OR vs finding a new endeavour teaching, mission work, travel etc. I think its widely assumed that no one is going to flat out retire and plop their feet on the couch and let their brains rot from streaming, facebook, and tik tok.

One crypto bull run, and we’re all dreaming of early retirement.

Plan is part-time gig, plenty of vacation, increase lifestyle/comfort, pick up a lot of hobbies, spend more time with family. You would never see me inside a hospital after 3pm.

I’m good at my job, people value me, I get immense satisfaction from providing good care, but at the end of the day, my life is still dictated by work hours and bills. Having freedom from that is the dream.

Reactions: 8 users
Would walk with half that. I’d immediately go part time and get another masters or 4 year degree in something else for fun

Reactions: 1 users
Would walk with half that. I’d immediately go part time and get another masters or 4 year degree in something else for fun
It's kind of sad that after a career which took over a decade of study/training to become a Board Certified Anesthesiologist you would just walk away for $5 million dollars. Money must be your primary motivator each day. For many of us money does matter but it's not the primary goal in our lives. Sure, I wouldn't work for free as I want to be paid a fair wage. But, if all I wanted is another $5 million I would do locums tomorrow. I think those who have actually achieved this small milestone that cutting back is far more desirable after a long career than quitting entirely. This may be a generational thing but FIRE is a goal for some but definitely not for all.

I’ve slowly come to the realization that mostly everything about a career in medicine is pretty much bull****. So while I do enjoy some aspects of my practice, I’d definitely depart it if I were financially independent.

Reactions: 12 users
One crypto bull run, and we’re all dreaming of early retirement.

Plan is part-time gig, plenty of vacation, increase lifestyle/comfort, pick up a lot of hobbies, spend more time with family. You would never see me inside a hospital after 3pm.

I’m good at my job, people value me, I get immense satisfaction from providing good care, but at the end of the day, my life is still dictated by work hours and bills. Having freedom from that is the dream.

I like to keep my expectations low. Yes, maybe a little bullish to hope to get historic s and p 500 returns for the next several years idk is that like 10-11%. I am not banking on crypto 2x-3x from current prices ever but the assumption is the s and p 500 historic returns and maybe some would call that dreaming unrealistically as well.

Last edited:
I’ve slowly come to the realization that mostly everything about a career in medicine is pretty much bull****. So while I do enjoy some aspects of my practice, I’d definitely depart it if I were financially independent.

This is my main driver to exit. It's all a ridiculous game and the ones who killed themselves their entire lives and gave up their 20-30s to study and stress about getting into med school, usmles, matching, building their attending career, etc somehow end up with decreasing inflation adjusted salaries, increased expectations and quality measures that make no sense, decreasing payments all so those at the top can continue to show massive profits. It's why i've worked 2-3 FTE to get out of this circus and the exit door while still far is somewhat in sight.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a great time at work everyday. I get the joy from meeting people/patients, engaging with like minded colleagues, making complex decision, putting tubes in things. On top of that I get to be a “business owner” as a partner in my group, and I learn more about that everyday.

That said I’m a ripe old 38. Ask me again after taking call for 12 more years. But I would definitely miss it. I do however, hope to stop sleeping at the hospital at some point this side of 50.
U haven’t felt the pain yet for financial crashes housing crashes stock market crashes (real crash that takes 6-7 years to rebound)

Life has its ups and downs.
Since 2009. The stock market has been on the longest sustain run. Very few double digit years in the red. And it bounces right bad.

Anyone who has been out in practice since 2008 really hasn’t felt real pain

Reactions: 3 users
It's kind of sad that after a career which took over a decade of study/training to become a Board Certified Anesthesiologist you would just walk away for $5 million dollars. Money must be your primary motivator each day. For many of us money does matter but it's not the primary goal in our lives. Sure, I wouldn't work for free as I want to be paid a fair wage. But, if all I wanted is another $5 million I would do locums tomorrow. I think those who have actually achieved this small milestone that cutting back is far more desirable after a long career than quitting entirely. This may be a generational thing but FIRE is a goal for some but definitely not for all.
Well one of my colleagues retired 2 weeks ago. They/him/her lol. I’m just laughing at the university of Chicago surgery residency match 2024… just to use pronouns.

Retired age 55/56. Way too young. Still can perform. Cardiac anesthesia. Can run the board. Run to trauma and other emergencies.

I told them just to go down to 0.5. It’s easy job now. Now calls no weekends. All 3 day weekends off for them. Either Friday or Monday. All supervision for them. But they wanted to retired. I don’t think they have 10 million either.

So people can do what they want.

1710610323011.png

Less and less new generation docs starting from millennials onward do not have the same passion/duty/identity for medicine as maybe baby boomer generation who trained in the time with 100+ hour work weeks. In a way boomers identity was medicine so it goes beyond the financial means but even in those terms they have done tremendously well and really due to the sacrifices they made might be all they know since work/life balance was not the goal. There was also a time when the word doctor had this uber prestige attached to it and of course its still there to some degree but the whole mid level circus and everyone being a "provider" has also left many esp in the new age a bit salty about another intrusion added to all the other ways the system has screwed us.

Thus, back to the boomers, they don't know what else to do and would go crazy if they retired let alone retired early. However, that mindset has drastically changed in medicine and the push for lifestyle friendly specialities for most folks is the goal. This generation has seen the past generation or had family work like that and it left a negative taste. I also won't go into the health issues of boomers and older docs and divorces etc.

Suffice to say you could argue that the new gen has learned or seen the impact of devoting an entire career to medicine and that is not what they are signing up for. They want lifestyle above all to spend with family, friends and have various hobbies and that is a drastic change that is only starting.

Last edited:
I don’t have $10,000,000. However at 60 I went 2 on and 2 off. At 65 I went 1 on 2 off. 2 docs I respect opined that they would work until 70. ( both surgeons) Work gives one purpose and practicing medicine in an in demand specialty is a societal good. Practicing medicine works out your brain like exercise works out your body. 34 weeks off a year is plenty to pursue fun stuff and 17 weeks income is plenty to fund those pursuits

Reactions: 8 users
I would be concerned about liability if I had that much open to creditors. Having said that I like work. My ideal would be 16 weeks off with no call or weekends.

I don’t have $10,000,000. However at 60 I went 2 on and 2 off. At 65 I went 1 on 2 off. 2 docs I respect opined that they would work until 70. ( both surgeons) Work gives one purpose and practicing medicine in an in demand specialty is a societal good. Practicing medicine works out your brain like exercise works out your body. 34 weeks off a year is plenty to pursue fun stuff and 17 weeks income is plenty to fund those pursuits

even if you had 5m the fact that your supplementing with 17 wks work at 10-15k/wk your basically in the same position that someone with 10m withdrawing 3-4% is probably even better since you have the option of SS.

For you looks like the balance of 1 wk on and 2wks off in a field that's in quite a big shortage is perfect. The best in my field is 2-3 day work weeks which makes it harder to have the convenience to go anywhere like you obviously have. Hats off to your success and ability to enjoy it!

This applied in 2016 and maybe up till half the money ever was printed during covid. Doubling the numbers in each step is more applicable now.
Yes, which is why I say you need $10mil plus to truly FIRE and not worry about running out of money. Or, $5 million plus 0.5 FTE which easily meets you needs as you can fund your retirement with work while your nest egg grows. No need to worry about sequence of return risks.

In this specialty, deciding to work 0.5 (or even less) has never been easier in terms of finding work.

$20K per month (healthcare can cost you $4K per month) x 12= 240K x 30 times= $7.2 million. That's the FIRE number for zero work. Also, no work means you will likely travel or spend more money hence the $20K per month budget. Taxes, Healthcare, etc are all included in the $20K per month.

Yes, which is why I say you need $10mil plus to truly FIRE and not worry about running out of money. Or, $5 million plus 0.5 FTE which easily meets you needs as you can fund your retirement with work while your nest egg grows. No need to worry about sequence of return risks.

In this specialty, deciding to work 0.5 (or even less) has never been easier in terms of finding work.

$20K per month (healthcare can cost you $4K per month) x 12= 240K x 30 times= $7.2 million. That's the FIRE number for zero work. Also, no work means you will likely travel or spend more money hence the $20K per month budget. Taxes, Healthcare, etc are all included in the $20K per month.

I almost feel you need to work for a few years (5 at 0.5 FTE) even after you reach your FIRE numbers. How psychologically damaging is it if you reach 7-10m call it a day and then 1 year later your index funds are down 50%. I mean i know you can spend less and it will recover but what a mind warp to have to experience that.

Reactions: 1 user
All this thread tells me is that the market is due for a major correction
It will always slump at some point. So can’t stop working completely unless you have shifted it all to something not volatile. Or you have enough in non volatile stuff or cash to ride out the slump.

It will always slump at some point. So can’t stop working completely unless you have shifted it all to something not volatile. Or you have enough in non volatile stuff or cash to ride out the slump.
Yes but dreams of retiring early largely based on the market performance mean a slump is coming sooner than later

Less and less new generation docs starting from millennials onward do not have the same passion/duty/identity for medicine as maybe baby boomer generation who trained in the time with 100+ hour work weeks. In a way boomers identity was medicine so it goes beyond the financial means but even in those terms they have done tremendously well and really due to the sacrifices they made might be all they know since work/life balance was not the goal. There was also a time when the word doctor had this uber prestige attached to it and of course its still there to some degree but the whole mid level circus and everyone being a "provider" has also left many esp in the new age a bit salty about another intrusion added to all the other ways the system has screwed us.

Thus, back to the boomers, they don't know what else to do and would go crazy if they retired let alone retired early. However, that mindset has drastically changed in medicine and the push for lifestyle friendly specialities for most folks is the goal. This generation has seen the past generation or had family work like that and it left a negative taste. I also won't go into the health issues of boomers and older docs and divorces etc.

Suffice to say you could argue that the new gen has learned or seen the impact of devoting an entire career to medicine and that is not what they are signing up for. They want lifestyle above all to spend with family, friends and have various hobbies and that is a drastic change that is only starting.
That’s true of every generation, my generation (X) and younger just haven’t reached retirement to realize that retirement takes its toll too.

Blade. You are full of it!:rolleyes:

But, if all I wanted is another $5 million I would do locums tomorrow. I think those who have actually achieved this small milestone that cutting back is far more desirable after a long career than quitting entirely

$5M is a SMALL milestone? How many silver spoons were in your mouth when you were born?

• Haha
… so I have to be a full time clinical physician or I’m not doing something meaningful? What if I want to take some time to learn a skill so I can do more good for more people than you could hope to do by yourself in your whole career?

Interesting thought... I don't wanna toot my horn but I'm on track for something in that ballpark not depending on crypto bull runs or any of that nonsense...
I never thought I would ever consider just walking and retiring early... still don't... but I'll tell you more in 8 years...

Depends on when my wife decides to leave probably

I would scale back massively if I had 5 million, let alone 10. But I really like taking care of sick kids and find my work overall enjoyable. So I'd probably see if an academic peds place would keep me around for 25% FTE and then just do whatever the rest of the time (travel, write, make stuff, and so forth).

Interesting thought... I don't wanna toot my horn but I'm on track for something in that ballpark not depending on crypto bull runs or any of that nonsense...
I never thought I would ever consider just walking and retiring early... still don't... but I'll tell you more in 8 years...

Depends on when my wife decides to leave probably

so your early 40s then. Is your wife also a specialist MD. That's mad impressive. DINK?

She is, no we've got kids. She's cut back a lot since tho. But things are going well for us. Really well. Funny thing is I enjoy work a lot and I'm probably better at home when I work a regular schedule. When I take too much time off I become lazy at home too

That's why some of the financial experts recommend you reduce your exposure to stocks as your near retirement. Treasury Bills, ibonds, TIPS, CDs should be part of your portfolio as you enter into retirement years. Bond funds, individual bonds, etc also make up a portion of the portfolio. You should reduce the volatility to the overall investment mix if there is any concern about sequence of return risk.

Keep a reserve​

One approach is to maintain a short-term reserve of low-risk liquid investments that you can use to cover your expenses while you avoid tapping your stocks.
Rob recommended keeping a year's worth of expenses after accounting for other income sources including Social Security, if applicable, in cash investments and another two to four years' worth of expenses in high-quality short-term bonds or short-term bond funds. This allocation can be included as part of your retirement portfolio. A portfolio in retirement can include a personalized mix of cash, cash investments, short-term and other types of bonds or bond funds, and stocks. With an allocation to cash, cash investments, and short-term bonds in place, you may feel more comfortable about having a decent chunk of stocks on hand that can generate growth later.

That's why some of the financial experts recommend you reduce your exposure to stocks as your near retirement. Treasury Bills, ibonds, TIPS, CDs should be part of your portfolio as you enter into retirement years. Bond funds, individual bonds, etc also make up a portion of the portfolio. You should reduce the volatility to the overall investment mix if there is any concern about sequence of return risk.
I like the idea of letting my money accumulate in the market for now, and then when I am 60-65 buying a single payment immediate annuity with a good chunk of it. Pensions make things so much smoother IMO

I like the idea of letting my money accumulate in the market for now, and then when I am 60-65 buying a single payment immediate annuity with a good chunk of it. Pensions make things so much smoother IMO
I don't like annuities. I prefer a 3% withdrawal rate from a portfolio of 60/40 stocks/bonds/CDs/Treasuries/Tips. You can always work a bit (0.25-0.5 FTE) until you build a portfolio which can support a 3% withdrawal rate. That rate should last for 50+ years of retirement.

Don’t Do FIRE Just to Escape a Job You Hate​

You might be drawn to the FIRE movement if you hate your job. After all, only 34% of American workers say they’re actively engaged at work.5 It’s no wonder that a growing number of young workers are dreaming about leaving the workplace altogether.

But there’s a deeper problem that lies beneath the surface, and FIRE isn’t going to solve it. If you hate your job, you don’t need FIRE. What you really need is a new career path. Ken Coleman calls it “finding your sweet spot.” That’s the place where your greatest talents and passions intersect. Even FIRE followers can get behind that!

If you want to retire early so you can escape going into work on Monday, you’re going to be very disappointed. Life is too short to waste a few years, or even decades, working a job you hate.

Fat FIRE vs. coast FIRE​

Coast FIRE is similar in concept to fat FIRE, but once you reach your investment goal, you’ll continue working until you’re closer to retirement age, but with different savings and spending strategies – now you’re “coasting.”. Once you reach your FIRE number, you can stop contributing to your retirement accounts to free up more disposable income, or keep contributing to give yourself even more cushion at retirement.

Fat FIRE vs. barista FIRE​

Another retirement option is barista FIRE. With this strategy, you’ll keep working but shift your focus to low-stress, part-time work. This strategy means you’ll still earn some money to help with expenses (and keep your health insurance coverage if possible) rather than needing to live solely on your investments. As a bonus, holding a part-time job after retirement – particularly one in a physical location, such as a coffee shop – can help stave off the disconnectonmany people experience when they stop working.

Just to clarify I am not at this number but depending on the stock market in the next several years it is possible so its good to start having some of these discussions for those that have already gotten there. The other odd thing is whatever i considered a "great" NW number to achieve in 2016 when i started, maybe thanks to all the money printing, once i achieved that seems low. Obviously the value of 10m today is not what it was in 2014 and it will be even less in 2034 so there is some desire to reach it sooner than later while it still holds ultimate financial freedom.

Again, for now I am in a DINK situation which will change later this year but spending 120-150k right now without any restrictions is kinda our baseline living in the midwest. 10m even at a 3 percent withdrawal rate is 300k which I'm not fancy enough to ever spend and likely will donate it to charities or causes i believe in or help family and friends out without ever really discussing my financial situation.
With Inflation likely to be "sticky" at 3% going forward building a portfolio which can sustain a 3% withdrawal rate for 50 years is prudent, careful planning which makes a lot of sense. In your case, you will be withdrawing at 2% most years which is even better in terms of sequence of return risk. When you combine a 2% withdrawal rate with part-time work (if you so choose) then semi-retirement becomes a reality a lot sooner. So, if and when you decide that taking call or working more than 40 hours per week is no longer desirable, you have the means to cut back or find another job.

Fat FIRE vs. coast FIRE​

Coast FIRE is similar in concept to fat FIRE, but once you reach your investment goal, you’ll continue working until you’re closer to retirement age, but with different savings and spending strategies – now you’re “coasting.”. Once you reach your FIRE number, you can stop contributing to your retirement accounts to free up more disposable income, or keep contributing to give yourself even more cushion at retirement.

Fat FIRE vs. barista FIRE​

Another retirement option is barista FIRE. With this strategy, you’ll keep working but shift your focus to low-stress, part-time work. This strategy means you’ll still earn some money to help with expenses (and keep your health insurance coverage if possible) rather than needing to live solely on your investments. As a bonus, holding a part-time job after retirement – particularly one in a physical location, such as a coffee shop – can help stave off the disconnectonmany people experience when they stop working.

I thought I would be reshelving (and leafing through) books at Borders after I stopped anesthesia. Alas that is no longer an option. Barista seems like too much pressure for me.

• Haha
$5M is a SMALL milestone? How many silver spoons were in your mouth when you were born?
unfortunately 5 million doesn’t feel like a lot.

Like a 400-500k salary doesn’t feel like a lot even for 40 hours with no calls or weekends for anesthesia Especially when u have software new grad engineers with 4 year degrees getting 120-150k to start PLUS bonus which can be 25-100% of their income at age 22-23.

My neighbor is Verizon senior engineer and Verizon is pretty cheap in terms of pay is at the 200k plus other perks. The silicone engineers make a ton more. Of course they can get laid off.

My first degree family member with 17 million excluding the 2.5-3 million dollar home thinks they are middle class!

It’s crazy world we live in.

But than again the dog sitter wants $50 a day to dog sit.

With Inflation likely to be "sticky" at 3% going forward building a portfolio which can sustain a 3% withdrawal rate for 50 years is prudent, careful planning which makes a lot of sense. In your case, you will be withdrawing at 2% most years which is even better in terms of sequence of return risk. When you combine a 2% withdrawal rate with part-time work (if you so choose) then semi-retirement becomes a reality a lot sooner. So, if and when you decide that taking call or working more than 40 hours per week is no longer desirable, you have the means to cut back or find another job.
Agree on semi retirement. No point of just quitting anesthesia yet. Work part time which is where I want to be for the next couple years and then decide if I want to go back up to “full” time. I’m just over the 50h work week. People happy out there making 225k without flashy cars and homes. But then I get the young folks with debt can’t think the same way unfortunately.

unfortunately 5 million doesn’t feel like a lot.

Like a 400-500k salary doesn’t feel like a lot even for 40 hours with no calls or weekends for anesthesia Especially when u have software new grad engineers with 4 year degrees getting 120-150k to start PLUS bonus which can be 25-100% of their income at age 22-23.

My neighbor is Verizon senior engineer and Verizon is pretty cheap in terms of pay is at the 200k plus other perks. The silicone engineers make a ton more. Of course they can get laid off.

My first degree family member with 17 million excluding the 2.5-3 million dollar home thinks they are middle class!

It’s crazy world we live in.

But than again the dog sitter wants $50 a day to dog sit.

How many silver spoons were in your mouth when you were born?

Median US Income 2024: $44k, Median US Net Worth 2024: ~$200k

Your $17M net worth "middle class" first degree family member is delusional as are you if you think citing him proves something like "$5M doesn't feel like a lot" of money.

Last edited: