Would a low VR MCAT score kill my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haylo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS - 12
PS - 9
VR - 7

Total: 28M

Does the 7 in VR totally kill my shot at an MD school? I thought the VR section didn't seem too bad when I took it but apparently I was dead wrong. Quite depressing seeing that 7.

I live in michigan and would love to go to either MSU or wayne but I'm worried they will pre-screen me out.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What were you averaging on your practice tests? You might want to retake if you were averaging much higher or maybe something went severely wrong on test day.

IIRC, 8 is the lowest score many schools will accept in a particular section of the MCAT, so you may be screened with that score. That said, I don't know if that's the case for Wayne or MSU. Ditto the first replier that you may want to retake if you were consistently doing better than that on your practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, 8 is the lowest score many schools will accept in a particular section of the MCAT, so you may be screened with that score. That said, I don't know if that's the case for Wayne or MSU. Ditto the first replier that you may want to retake if you were consistently doing better than that on your practice tests.

Some of the schools that screened out VR6 kids I've managed to receive a secondary application from, so take that for what it's worth.

That said, getting a secondary =! accepted obviously. :oops:

A lot of schools just send secondaries to EVERYone, unfortunately. I assume this applies to ones that screen after you've sent them another ~$70, too.

A lot of schools just send secondaries to EVERYone, unfortunately. I assume this applies to ones that screen after you've sent them another ~$70, too.

I meant pre-secondary, but still. I'd almost venture to say I'd prefer to get screened pre-secondary. But you're right, most schools either don't screen at all or screen those with scores in the low 20s.

I meant pre-secondary, but still. I'd almost venture to say I'd prefer to get screened pre-secondary. But you're right, most schools either don't screen at all or screen those with scores in the low 20s.

I would, too! No time and money wasted on secondaries from schools that are going to just blow you off.

BS - 12
PS - 9
VR - 7

Total: 28M

Does the 7 in VR totally kill my shot at an MD school? I thought the VR section didn't seem too bad when I took it but apparently I was dead wrong. Quite depressing seeing that 7.

I live in michigan and would love to go to either MSU or wayne but I'm worried they will pre-screen me out.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Wayne will most likely screen you out. The screen pre-secondary, so you wouldn't get one. I had an 8 and I didn't get one last cycle, met with them this week and they said 8s even make them nervous.